The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, September 13, 2013

God Over Man

"The king of Egypt said to the Hebrew midwives,
whose names were Shiphrah and Puah,
'When you are helping the Hebrew women during
childbirth on the delivery stool,
if you see that the baby is a boy,
kill him;
but if it is a girl,
let her live.'
The midwives, however, feared God
and did not do what the king of Egypt had told them to do;
they let the boys live."
Exodus 1:15-17



She worked at the clinic for ten years.  For as long as she can remember, she has supported a woman's right to choose abortion as an option for the mother to prolong her own life, protect the unborn child from a life of struggle or to end unwed pregnancies.  As far as she is concerned, many of the problems found in society stem from unwanted children.  In her way of thinking, she is contributing to the greater good in working side-by-side with the abortion doctor.

One day, however, as they were performing the procedure, something remarkable happened.  The baby they were working on spontaneously delivered, sliding out onto the table.  As the woman took note of the newborn's healthy glow and robust cry, the doctor gave an order.  "Kill her!"  

Suddenly, all her convictions went out the window as compassion for the little one filled her heart.  In an instant she knew what she must do.  Taking the scalpel, she severed the umbilical cord, tying it off quickly with a measure of cord and scooped the child up in her arms.  "I'm taking her to the hospital."

That was the last day the aforementioned abortion worker reported to the clinic for work.  After that experience, her conscious no longer allowed her to take the lives of the innocent.  When it comes to authority, there are times when I may be faced with a similar dilemma.  Either I can do what I'm asked, or I can follow God thus defying man.  

When I trust the Lord and obey Him, I may be surprised at the outcome.

Wisdom of God

The women didn't know what to do.  The king himself summoned them into his presence.  He must have found out what we are doing!  We're doomed!  What should we do?  They frantically asked each other.  Fearing God more than Pharaoh, however, they decided to bow to his wishes and see what happens.

Unfortunately for the two women, their greatest nightmare came true.  The king was fairly bursting with outrage as he railed against them.   "Why have you done this?  Why have you let the boys live?" the ruler shrieked as the veins in his temple threatened to pop.  (Exodus 1:18)  The women were at a loss.  Perhaps this is the end, they thought.

In a moment of inspiration, the words came out of the blue.  "Hebrew women are not like Egyptian women."
"Yes, that's right. In fact, they are so vigorous that they give birth before we even arrive." (paraphrased from v 19)  The king seemed to calm down a bit when hearing their explanation.  "Let them return to their post,"  he said with a flick of his wrist.

When I trust God enough to act in such a way that honors Him despite the earthly consequences I may face, He will give me similar wisdom to explain my defiance.  My high calling is to offer myself as a living sacrifice, preferring to show respect for Him in all I do. (Romans 12:1)

That means when I'm faced with the option to do as my boss says, even though it means I'll have to lie, cheat or steal, I can stand against his wishes, know that God will give me the wisdom to know how to best handle the situation.  

As James warns me in chapter three of his letter to the Christian Jews scattered around the region, however, ". . .when you ask him (for wisdom), be sure that your faith is in God alone.  Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord.  Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do."  (James 1:6-8 NLT)

Putting my faith in God wholly and completely as I defy those who have the power to destroy me is vital.  Without placing my complete confidence in Him, I can't expect to find the answers I need to explain the reason behind my boldness.

When I trust in the Lord and obey Him instead of man, He will give me the words to explain my defiance.

Kindness of God

Despite the Pharaoh's best effort to suppress the growth of their numbers, the population of the Hebrew civilization exploded.  Even though he did everything within his power to control their expansion, his efforts seemed to have the opposite effect: The Israelites grew in the strength of their numbers anyway. (Exodus 1:20)

When I do what is right in the eyes of the Lord, even though I am going against those who have authority over me, I will find results that will go against my common sense and even the laws of nature.  I will find health and vigor return to my body even though the doctors all told me I'd die without the embryonic stem cell treatment.  Honoring the lives of the unborn resulted in the kindness of God showering his blessings down on me.

If I am faced with the order by the police to leave the homeless man where he lay even though he is severely injured, I will find never-before-experienced strength as I lift him into my car to transport the unconscious man to the emergency room.

If a supervisor informs me of a new government policy making proselytizing illegal in all public buildings, I will find a curious absence of security officers when I share the gospel during my lunch breaks.

When I trust in the Lord and obey Him instead of man, His kindness will result in an outcome that defies everything I've normally come to expect.

Grace of God

The women had given their lives in service to their people.  They loved their work and would never think of quitting, but they did long to have families of their own.  Due to their heavy workload, however, they had resigned themselves to the fact that they themselves would never experience the joy of birthing a child.

Once these two selfless women stood against the Pharaoh's destructive order to kill the male children, however, they suddenly found themselves being courted by eligible men.  Before they knew it, they were married and raising children of their own.  God had blessed them indeed.  (Exodus 1:21)

There are times when I will discover similar unexpected gifts when I choose God's ways over man's.  It may be good health, greater understanding of His Word, or simply a full, meaningful life.  Whatever the blessing, however, I can chalk it all up to the grace of God.

When I trust in the Lord and obey Him instead of man, His grace will shower blessings down on me as I enjoy the unexpected gifts He so freely imparts.


In a world where ethics and morals are commonly based on man's own standards, I will often be faced with the dilemma of whether to obey God or man.  When I choose God, I will find His wisdom, kindness and grace flood my life in ways I can't explain.  Taking God's side may seem risky, but if He is for me then I must remember that no one can stand against me.  (Romans 8:31)


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep an eternal perspective when faced with a moral dilemma.  

How do I cave into human pressure because it seems I have no choice?

When do I place God on the back burner as I make decisions in the workplace?  

No comments:

Post a Comment