The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Sowing Seeds of Righteousness

"Then Jacob called for his sons and said:
'Gather around so I can tell you what will happen
to you in the days to come.
Assemble and listen, sons of Jacob;
listen to your father Israel.'"
   Genesis 49:1-2



There were twelve sons who gathered around their father's death bed.  It was a solemn, grievous time, unlike the memories they all shared of recent family gatherings after they had been joyously reunited in a foreign land.  This was the moment when each man would discover what the future was to bring according to the way he lived his life.  Each one was about to discover the type of fruit that had been produced throughout their days.  Some learned of coming trouble and strife, while others received news of great fortune.  Either way, they were about to reap what they had sown.

I am no different from these young men.  While I may not receive a similar prophecy, I can expect my past decisions to affect my future.  Even though I am saved from eternal damnation by the grace of God through Jesus Christ, I still reap what I sow.  The question I must ask myself, then, is this:  What kind of seeds am I sowing?

Guard Against Evil

There are all kinds of messages bombarding my consciousness that are in direct opposition to God's goodness.  Many of these beliefs, viewpoints and principles of life appeal to my sinful nature.  When I hear that I must pull myself up by my own bootstraps when I'm in a bad place, for instance, or that all citizens should have the right to get married and enjoy the benefits found with that union regardless of sexual orientation as another example, my flesh inclines to agree.  It is easy to get sucked into evil.

Evil can be defined as a force that is in opposition to God.  This compelling power is at work all around me, effectively attempting to turn me off-course.  As long as I travel through life along the narrow path that leads to life, I am a target of my Enemy.  He has been described as a roaring lion prowling around looking for someone to devour.  (1 Peter 5:8)

With such a determined foe as this, I must enter the battle, purposefully taking steps to protect myself against the flaming arrows that Satan launches my way.  God has given me armor and weapons with which I can both protect myself and use to fight this battle. (Ephesians 6:10-20)  Instead of being a vulnerable target, I can then become a mighty warrior in the fight against evil.

To do this, I must always be on alert, like a soldier pulling perimeter duty.  If I let my guard down, thinking I am safe from attack, Satan will use the opportunity to launch an assault.  Therefore, it is in my best interest to realize I have an enemy, arm myself against him, and prepare some attacks of my own.

I do this by clinging to the truth as I've been taught, recognizing the attacks when they come and resisting the urge to fall for the lies Satan feeds me.  Furthermore, I can continue to strengthen myself with God's Word and prayer, utilizing the offensive weapons God has given to me.  (Ephesians 6:17-18)

If I want to sow seeds that will result in blessing, I will need to purposefully guard against evil.

Stand Firm in Temptation

I stepped gingerly onto the slippery log.  As part of an obstacle course, competitors were expected to cross a small ravine on a slick, muddy tree posing as a bridge.  If I slipped, I would most certainly fall off, necessitating a climb up the hill and another try at crossing the gap.  I had better be careful the first time I tried this obstacle in order to avoid a lengthy delay.

Similarly, it is very easy for me to slip and fall into sin.  I am constantly tempted to give into my sinful urges whether it be to lose my temper at someone, slide into a cycle of worry, or turn to another resource to provide for my needs instead of trusting God.  Whichever way I am tempted to try to do things my way instead of God's, God will always provide a way out. (1 Corinthians 10:12-13)

Looking for the mode of escape as I am presented with the option of sin takes practice.  As soon as I feel frustrated I can either let myself go and naturally give into anger or I can listen to the still, small Voice telling me His plan is better than mine.  He reminds me there is more than one way to do things and my way is not the only option.  If I listen to the Lord, my anger will subside as I acknowledge that God is in control.

When I start to analyze a problem, feeling the temptation to look at it from every angle in order to find a solution, God may bring a passage of scripture to my mind, reminding me to turn my troubles over to Him.  (Philippians 4:6-7)  Soon I experience the peace flooding my soul as I walk through the mode of escape God has provided.  

For the times when I am tempted to depend upon my own supply to provide for my needs, my Father may gently remind me that I am rich in Christ and that He owns the cattle on a thousand hills and knows how to give good gifts to His children who ask for them. (Philippians 4:19, Psalm 50:10, Matthew 7:11)

If I want to sow seeds that result in blessing, I will need to stand firm against temptation, taking the way out God always provides.

Surrender to God

We have a dog who is stubborn as all get out.  Whether it be time for a bath, toothbrushing, flea-medicine application, or to go to bed, this willful canine resists our attempts to care for him.  Either he digs his claws in, trying to avoid the inevitable, or he growls in an effort to get out of what is necessary.  Whatever his tactic, this is one strong-willed dog.

I am not so different from my pet in many ways.  I spend a lot of time fighting what God is trying to do in my life.  Sometimes, He is attempting to teach me something through difficulties but I resist learning the lesson, choosing only to focus on the pain of the situation.  Other times, God is trying to grow my faith by taking me through the fire, but I stubbornly insist that He is out to get me burned.  Then there are the times when I struggle against the direction I know God is leading me, obstinately hanging onto the desire to control my own destiny.

In all the above examples, I am just like my dog, resisting the good care my Master is trying to give me.  If, instead of fighting God I gave into His efforts, letting Him have His way, think of how He would transform me!

The apostle Paul taught that my spiritual act of worship is to give myself as a living sacrifice to God. (Romans 12:1) This means in a moment-by-moment act of surrender, I let go of my desires and take on God's instead;  I release my craving to control the direction of my own life and let Him take the wheel;  I stop fighting what God is trying to do and simply let Him have free reign in my life.

If I want to sow seeds that will receive a blessing, I will need to give into God, letting Him work without any resistance from me.


Even though I am saved by grace, I will reap what I sow.  If I want to plant seeds of righteousness in my life, I can do so by guarding against evil, standing firm when temptation comes my way, and surrendering fully to God.  In these ways I will reap the blessings of God.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can sow seeds of righteousness.

When do I expect good out of my life when all I put into it is negative?

How am I giving into the temptation to sin without even a fight?    

No comments:

Post a Comment