The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Two-Fold Purpose

"Then the LORD said to Moses,
'Return to the Pharaoh and make your demands again.
I have made him and his officials stubborn
so I can display my miraculous signs among them.
I've also done it so you can tell your children
and grandchildren 
about how I made a mockery of the Egyptians 
and about the sings I displayed among them--
and so you will know that I am the LORD.'"
Exodus 10:1-2 NLT



It seemed like the cruelest of jokes.  God promised to deliver His people from the brutality of bondage under the merciless hand of the Pharaoh, king of Egypt.  Instead of ushering them out of slavery, however, God hardened the heart of this ruler so that plague after plague could be sent forth throughout the land.  The Lord intentionally prolonged the suffering of His people, delaying the day of their deliverance and salvation. (Exodus 4-12)

Why would God not usher His people out of oppression and directly into freedom?  Why is that God was willing to delay the promised relief of those who called Him by name?  Why did He deem as acceptable the continued suffering for those He claimed to love?

The people of Israel must have felt like they got the short end of the stick in this deal.  While God did send a deliverer to them, it must have been hard to understand the method and timetable He was using.

I can relate.  There are times in my life when I can think of a much less painful way for God to help me, or a more enjoyable process through which I can learn His ways.  During these times, when it seems things are hopeless and I can't understand what God is doing, I might consider that He is using this time to show His might.  

It is only by delivering me through hard times instead of rescuing me from the suffering that I learn something about God.  His purposes for using this method are two-fold.

Legacy

"Tell me the story about you and Grandpa during the Depression,"  the little girl demanded as she snuggled down in her grandmother's lap.
"Well, alright.  Your grandfather and I were on the verge of losing our home.  We didn't know what to do but we did know God.  So we asked Him for help and told Him that we trusted Him to take care of us."
"Say the words, Grandma!"
The old woman chuckled at her granddaughter's enthusiasm. "Lord, we're desperate but You are at peace.  We are at a loss but You are in the middle of a great plan.  We don't know what tomorrow may bring but You hold it in the palm of your hand.  So, because You are mighty and worthy to be praised, we place all our cares at your feet, trusting You to supply our needs."
"Then what happened?  What's next?"
"You know what happens next, child! You've heard this a million times!"
"Tell me, Grandma!"
"Okay, okay.  A man from the bank walked up our driveway the following day with a piece of paper in his hands.  He told us that he couldn't understand it, but somehow the bank had made a mistake and our house was paid in full.  Then he handed over the deed and shook each one of our hands."
"Then what did you do?"
"Grandpa and I danced for joy right there in the front yard.  We sang praises to our God who is mighty to save."

Legacy.  The testimonies of God's greatness that is passed down from generation to generation is important to the faith of those who follow behind us.  If God never brought me through anything difficult, there wouldn't be much for me to tell my children and grandchildren about the power of God.  

Instead of leaving me without a testimony, then, God sometimes chooses to take me through the valley of the shadow of death so I can learn more intimately of His comforting presence. Then, I can tell others about His compassion.

As a way of supplying me with a story to tell of the goodness of God, He might send me into a time of darkness where I am surrounded by evil.  As I rely on Him, I more fully realize His goodness as it contrasts with all the darkness I see around me.

So I won't have to go on without evidence of His sovereignty, He may allow me to suffer the loss of a loved one, giving me a wider scope of His mysterious greatness.  I then can pass on the lesson of His unfathomable supremacy that cannot be comprehended by the puny human mind.

When God takes me through suffering instead of delivering me from it, He is building for me a legacy of His greatness.

Wake-Up Call

He thought he had it all figured out:  He would finish college with a degree in architecture, sign on with a successful firm and work his way up to partner, one day owning his own company.  Then came the accident.  When he woke up in the hospital unable to move his hands, he soon learned he had been in a horrible car crash where he lost the use of his arms and hands.  His dreams were lost in the blink of an eye.

This young man eventually came around to accept the fact that his plan was not going to come true.  He also learned that he is not the one in control of his own life, but that God is the only One who holds the blueprint for all of his days.  While it is fine and dandy to make plans, the Lord is the One who orders our footsteps.  (Proverbs 16:9)

When God brings me through a tragedy, crisis or heartbreak, He may be giving me a similar kind of wake-up call, reminding me of His sovereignty.  It's easy to get to the point where I think I have everything under control.  I convince myself that I have a plan and as long as I follow it step-by-step, everything will be okay.  

Then God allows the unthinkable into my life:  The sickness, the financial crisis, the natural disaster.  Suddenly, I realize I'm at His mercy and there's nothing I can do to deliver myself from the situation.  I've been given a chance to recognize God's rightful place as Lord and acknowledge that my life is truly in His hands.

When God takes me through suffering instead of delivering me from it, He is reminding me of His sovereign power over all of His creation, and of my place as His precious child.


It is easy to get mad when I'm thrown a curve-ball.  I'm so quick to point out how it's not fair that I have to suffer or that it seems I can never get a break.  Instead of complaining about how horrible my life is, I can choose to see how God is using the suffering in my life to build a testimony of His greatness, and to remind me of Who is truly in control.  When I think of it this way instead of focusing on my pain, I may see the good that is coming out of His purpose for my life.


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can trust God through the suffering I'm enduring.

When do I tend to feel sorry for myself instead of realizing God has a good plan that includes this suffering?

How do I forget that God is in control and instead think I can somehow orchestrate my own life?

No comments:

Post a Comment