The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Evidence of Fear

"Therefore, at this time tomorrow
I will send the worst hailstorm that has ever fallen on Egypt,
from the day it was founded till now.
Give an order now to bring your livestock
and everything you have in the field to a place of shelter,
because the hail will fall on every person
and animal that has not been brought in 
and is still out in the field,
and they will die.
Those officials of Pharaoh
who feared the word of the LORD
hurried to bring their slaves and their livestock inside.
But those who ignored the word of the LORD
left their slaves and livestock in the field."
Exodus 9:18-21



Driving past their house, I knew the residents loved gardening.  Even though we lived in Army housing and every unit looked the same, this particular home stood out.  Exotic plants flourished in every flowerbed, the lawn was immaculately mowed and edged, and the trees were lovingly cared for and trimmed.  I could tell something about the people who lived in that house simply by observing their yard.

It's the same with my life.  People can tell something about me simply by observing the way I live.  If I fear, respect and revere the Lord, it will be evident in my actions to those around me.

Heed Warnings

Hurricanes can be deadly in their fury, but these storms are also unpredictable.  The science of storm-prediction has improved greatly over the years but it is still not 100% accurate.  As a result, many of the warnings issued to people in the path of a potentially devastating hurricane are simply ignored.  People are willing to take their chances that the alarms are overblown and exaggerated because they may have heeded in the past, only to see a weak storm blow through their community with no damage done.

Hurricane Katrina in 2005 was a perfect example of this theory.  Even though people were advised to seek shelter inland, many residents of New Orleans chose to stay in their homes, assuming they could ride out the storm.  Unfortunately, lives were lost because of this foolish decision to ignore their community leaders' advice.  Countless resources were utilized in order to rescue others who were stranded due to their unwillingness to pay attention to the cautions issued before the storm.

As easy as it is to see the foolishness in this example, I often don't realize I fall into the same category when it comes to heeding the warnings of God.  It is very easy to ignore the gentle, quiet promptings He gives me when I'm headed for destruction.  As I read His Word, it is no trouble for me to discount the admonitions I find there, thinking I may have more time or that they don't apply to me.  

The lesson found in Katrina, however, is that God gives warnings intentionally, and it is quite reckless for me to put Him off.  When I feel that sense of foreboding as I drive into the abandoned parking lot, then, I would be wise to find another place to leave my car.  Or when I read that, "friendship with the world is hatred toward God," I reveal my respect for God when I live in the world but not become a part of it. (James 4:4)  Or when I turn on the television only to find a false teacher who preaches the words my itching ears long to hear, I will only be able to change the channel if I honor God above my own fleshly desires. (2 Timothy 4:3)

I show whether or not I fear the Lord in the way I deal with His warnings.

Act Immediately

The toddler ran gleefully down the hill, giggling as he went, oblivious to the danger that lay in his path.  "Stop!" his father commanded.  Immediately, the little boy stopped in his tracks and turned to look at his dad.  Unbeknownst to the tot, his father had just saved him from certain death.  As the father scooped his son up in his arms, a semi-truck rumbled past on the country road.  Even though the little boy hadn't sensed the danger, his dad could see the 18-wheeler making its way up the road.  The toddler's immediate obedience to his father's command saved his little life.

I am just like that little boy, oblivious to the dangers that lurk all around me.  My heavenly Father, though, is not unaware.  When He warns, it is important that I act immediately.

Often, however, I find myself tarrying, waiting to see if I can detect any evidence of the impending doom.  Instead of trusting God implicitly, I sometimes doubt whether His caution is necessary.

I may think I can get away with my present diet even though God used my doctor to warn me to lay off the salt and sugar.  Or, I could justify my stubborn defiance against God's gentle caution to show more respect toward my husband, telling myself his lack of love and care toward me rightfully earns my contempt.  I might also have all the excuses in the world for why I'm not tithing even though I know in my heart God wants me to trust Him enough to give back 10% of what He gives to me.

In all of these instances, dragging my feet cannot be translated into obedience.  Even if I'm thinking I'll come around in a matter of time, I'm still digging in my heels. No matter what reason I give, my inaction is a show of disrespect toward God; of that I cannot deny.

I show whether or not I fear the Lord in the length of time it takes me to obey Him.

Not Influenced

The lone bird sang his song of praise to His Creator in the still, pre-dawn hours.  No other creature could be heard stirring at this early time of the morning.  His tune pierced the tranquility of the day.

This little songster did not let the apathy of the other birds dissuade him from singing his own melody.  This is the kind of faith I want.  It is easy to do what God is telling me to do when I have others to support me.  When no one else is acting, however, I might find it a little difficult to follow-through.

When others make fun of my decision to follow my Shepherd down the lonely, rocky path, I can either keep going or turn back in embarrassment. (Matthew 7:13-14)  When so-called friends ridicule the message God has placed on my heart, I can follow through with what He has called me to do, or I can cave into the scorn of those around me.  When apathy seems to rule the lives of those with whom I've surrounded myself, I can either join in with their indifferent attitude, or I can find like-minded believers who will passionately join me in my pursuit of righteousness. (2 Timothy 2:22)

I show whether or not I fear the Lord in how much I let others influence my obedience to Him.


In the same way that I could discern something about the people who lived in the military housing with the immaculate yard, others can perceive things about my relationship with God in the way I live my life.  It will be evident that I respect Him if I heed His warnings, act immediately when He calls, and refuse to let others dissuade me from my decision to obey Him.  In this way, I am giving evidence that I fear the Lord.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can revere God more than I care what people think.

How do I let others negatively influence my actions?

When do I drag my feet when God issues a warning to act? 

No comments:

Post a Comment