The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, September 20, 2013

Know the Lord

"Pharaoh said,
'Who is the LORD,
that I should obey him and let Israel go?
I do not know the LORD and I will not let Israel go.'"
Exodus 5:2



The moment they came to look at the house, I was intrigued.  They were a homeschool family with five children, all under the age of eight.  The youngest two were twins and the parents were followers of Jesus Christ.  I hoped the owner of the house next door would approve them for a lease.

I didn't know this family, but I knew God and His indwelling Spirit drew me to them.  Sure enough, we soon were doing Bible studies together, sharing meals and helping each other out in any way we could.

This is what the family of God looks like.  We as believers are drawn toward each other and are filled with a desire to serve one another, caring for each other with the love of God that courses through our veins. (John 13:35

For those outside the body of Christ, however, there is a different story to tell.  Without the bond of Jesus to band us together, people mostly look out for their own interests.  Sure, there is sometimes a guilt-bound effort to build relationships, but it is usually out of obligation, self-interest or tradition, not out of love.

The more I get to know the Lord, the more I sense His Spirit within me to guide, transform and empower me to love those around me.  One of those new-found character traits in my life is a hunger for scripture.  When I didn't know Him personally, God's Word didn't mean much to me.  It seemed wise and helpful, but not life-giving and precious as it does now.

If I want to more faithfully worship and obey the Lord, it is necessary for me to grow in my relationship with Him, getting to know Him more and more each day.

Submit

My dog Strider is a stubborn Pit Bull-Chocolate Lab mix.  He is one of the cutest canines I've ever seen, but he definitely has a mind of his own.  When it's time for me to turn in at night, I'll give the command, "Go to bed."  He will look at me from his lounging position with a look that says, "Make me."  Sometimes he even growls.  If I stand my ground, however, he will give in but not without a lot of prodding on my part.

Imagine my surprise, then, when I came to him one night with the usual order and he willingly obeyed the first time I gave the command!  It was so nice for him to finally submit to my leadership and it made bedtime a much more enjoyable time.  He finally trusted me enough to do as I asked.

God wants my submission as well.  When I willingly obey instead of fighting Him every step of the way, I can fall into sync with Him.  My life is filled with peace as I learn more of His ways, experience the strength of His power, and discover His trustworthiness.

When I submit to the Lord, I am telling Him that I trust Him enough to put all my eggs in His basket, believing that His way is best.  I am also giving the message to Him and those who are watching that I know God enough to believe He has the best plan for my life. (Proverbs 3:5-6) Following Him will lead me toward a full and abundant life.  (Isaiah 58:11)

When I submit to the Lord, I demonstrate my faith in Him and provide a gateway for greater understanding of His nature.

No Back-Up

The drone of the C-130's could be heard clearly in the crisp night air.  I gazed up at the darkened sky, marveling at the beauty of the constellations.  Lord, you made all of this splendor for our enjoyment.  You placed each star in place, so I know I can trust you to take care of my husband.  Please keep Him safe as he goes out on this mission.

My husband spent much of his single years jumping out of airplanes as a paratrooper for the U.S. Army.  Until we moved to Ft. Bragg, North Carolina during our 8th year of marriage, however, he didn't see much action.  I was not accustomed to him going out on night jumps, giving me plenty of time to worry whether or not he'd come back again.

While he successfully completed every one of his nearly 90 operations, he never went without a back-up chute.  In case the main parachute fails, paratroopers are required to carry a secondary one.  

Whereas it is smart to have a reserve when jumping out of a plane, God desires that I trust Him fully, without retaining a "Plan B."  When I place all my faith in Him, believing that His plan will prevail, I will start to grow exponentially closer to Him.  When I instead think about what I'll do in case God doesn't come through or I don't like His way, I'm betraying my lack of faith.  

Knowing God for myself gives me the tools I need to place myself in His hands without holding back.  Learning that He will never leave me nor forsake me gives me the confidence to let go of my own ideas and let Him have His way. (Deuteronomy 31:6) Finding out that His plan is a good one that will benefit me while supplying peace and hope for the future gives me the assurance of His reliability. (Jeremiah 29:11) Coming to know the God who will never fail to supply all my needs gives me the faith I need to trust Him without reserve. (Philippians 4:19)

When I submit to the Lord without relying on a back-up, I prove to God that I know Him enough to trust Him fully, and my understanding of His ways will grow even more.

Invest Time

I thought I knew my friend from church, but until we spend time together, I only knew what I saw on Sundays, during planned activities and at social events.  It wasn't until we organized a yard sale together, however, that we truly began to grow closer in our friendship.  There is something about spending time in the nitty-gritty trenches of life that builds a bond between people.

It's no different between me and God.  I can easily keep Him at arms-length, only inviting Him in when I feel presentable and put together.  If I take a risk, however, and let Him come close when I'm in the middle of the mundane details of my life, or when I am experiencing the consequences of some bad choices, or especially when I'm feeling bad about myself, I'll grow closer to Him as I discover His unconditional love.

It is also easy to only touch the surface of my knowledge of the Lord, spending only the minimum time possible in His Word.  When I don't give enough effort, thought and attention to the scriptures, my relationship with Him will stay distant.  If, however, I take a risk and invest time in the studying of His Word, my bond to Him will grow as a result.

When I make an effort to include God in the ordinary details of my life as well as devoting myself to His Word, I will find my relationship with Him will grow stronger as I get to know Him better.


I may think I know the Lord, but until I let Him lead in every aspect of my life, put all my faith in Him, and love Him enough to invest time with Him, I'll never know Him as intimately as He wants.  Therefore, it's vital to the growth of my relationship with my heavenly Father that I make every effort to know Him more each day.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God fully, without reservation.

What do I keep in reserve just in case I don't see God providing, at least in the timeframe I desire?

When do I invest in my physical fitness but neglect my spiritual fitness?   


No comments:

Post a Comment