The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Kingdom Prosperity

"The LORD was with Joseph so that he prospered,
and he lived in the house of his Egyptian master.
When his master saw that the LORD was with him
and that the LORD gave him success in everything he did,
Joseph found favor in his eyes and became his attendant.
Potiphar put him in charge of his household,
and he entrusted to his care everything he owned."
Genesis 39:2-4



He wanted the good life; a fulfilling career complete with perks, a nice home with all the modern luxuries he'd grown to expect, a car that was more than a mode of transportation but a symbol of status, financial security, and a beautiful wife and 2 good-looking children.  This man went after these goals until he was living the epitome of the prosperous life.  Everything went according to plan and he reached the pinnacle quicker than anticipated.  Why, then, did he feel so empty inside?

As humans, we often base our lives on the pursuit of worldly prosperity.  Once we attain the goal, however, we realize that what we're striving for is never enough.  There is always a longing that cannot be satisfied with anything that can be touched, tasted or seen with the naked eye: Only our Maker can fill that void inside.

While my flesh may desire the kind of success reached by the above-mentioned man, God has a better way for his children.  In His kingdom, prosperity looks different than it does in the world.  As His beloved daughter, I would be wise to desire His brand of wealth.

Flourish

Water leaked through the cracks in the wall, forming a perpetual stream of sliminess through the center of his space.  His bed was the hard stone floor that also served as his desk, dining table and recreation area.  The never-ending stream of insects became his friends and the tiny birds that came to feast on them his confidantes.  Still, Joseph's life was flourishing. (Genesis 39:20-23)

Despite his dismal surrounding as he languished in the king's prison, Joseph's heart bloomed.  He knew the God of his father Jacob, and the belief that the Lord was with him made all the difference in his present circumstances.  Even though he did nothing to deserve this brutal treatment, knowing that God has a purpose for everything He allows into His children's lives gave him peace.

I can take a lesson from Joseph.  Many times I let my present situation define my mood or outlook.  I think if things don't look good through my eyes, then there is nothing for which to be thankful.  In reality, the good things are there, I just have to look for them.

When my car breaks down, I may think I'm undergoing cruel and unusual punishment but if I'd never gone to the shop, I'd have never met a sister in Christ who encouraged me as I paid the bill.  When I can't bear the thought of how much I miss my dearly departed brother, I soon experience the comfort of the Father of compassion in a way I'd never before felt. (2 Corinthians 1:3-5)  Even though I don't understand why my loved one has to lose his mind, I begin to more clearly understand the love of my heavenly Father as I witness His care.

While it would be easy to grow bitter at all the suffering in this world, focusing my eyes on Jesus gives me a whole new perspective.  As I trust Him to lead me through the gauntlet of troubles found in the world, I will experience nothing but peace.

Seeking first God's kingdom as I live this life means my heart will flourish.

Success

Even though Joseph was a slave, Potiphar made him supervisor over all the affairs of the household.  Instead of treating him as property, his master put Joseph in charge and every effort he made ended in success.  In addition, due to his presence in this Egyptian home, God blessed everything that belonged to Potiphar. (Genesis 39:5-6)

Wherever I go and whatever I do as one who has committed my life to the Lord, I will find a similar principle.  As I stay connected to Jesus in my day-to-day life, any effort put forth in God's kingdom will bear fruit.  (John 15:4)  Living in relationship with my Lord and Savior and letting Him have His way in my life will result in love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control that is foreign to my own flesh. (Galatians 5:22-23)

This kind of success will then draw others to me as the blessings of God will overflow from my life to those around me. (Psalm 23:5)  Instead of going after the worldly success that consists of climbing the corporate ladder, living out the American dream, or gaining all the trappings of the rich and famous, I would much rather experience God's kind of success.  In the end, it is all that will last.

Seeking first God's kingdom as I live this life means I will experience success as God has defined it.

Favor

He possessed no experience leading men.  When he first fell into slavery, he was only a boy of seventeen who had lived a charmed life under the loving care of his doting father.  All his needs were provided for him and his responsibilities were few.  Still, when he found himself in prison for a crime he didn't commit, the jailer inexplicably placed him in charge of all the prisoners. (Genesis 39:21-22)

Joseph could have refused this responsibility, citing inexperience as a valid justification.  Instead, though, he trusted God that this new-found job came from Him and moved forward in faith, believing that the Lord would equip him to handle the task at hand.

In the same way, I will be offered jobs I may feel completely unqualified to fulfill.  Instead of relying on my own abilities or lack thereof, I can do as Joseph did and trust God to supply my every need.  (Philippians 4:19) Instead of fearing my own weaknesses and frailties, I can walk forward in confidence, knowing that the favor of God is upon me because of His great love for me.

Seeking first God's kingdom as I live this life means I will recognize opportunities of greater responsibility as the favor of God.


Prosperity means something totally different in the world than it does in God's kingdom.  In His realm, I can flourish despite my dismal surroundings, find success simply by staying connected to Christ, and receive job offerings that have nothing to do with my qualifications but everything to do with the favor of God.  In these ways, I am experiencing  prosperity, kingdom style!

As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God to supply all my needs when I am faced with a task outside of my comfort zone.

When do I hang back in fear instead of walking forward with confidence in my Father?

How am I missing out on God's blessings because I am afraid to submit to Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment