The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, May 24, 2013

Who's My Friend?

"You adulterous people,
don't you know that friendship with the world
means enmity against God?
Therefore,
anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world
becomes an enemy of God."
James 4:4



The snow-covered mountain peeked out from between the foothills, giving me a glimpse of the glacier that fed the icy-cold river that rushed past my feet.  Walking up the shore of rocks worn smooth by rushing water, I marveled at this different perspective.  I had grown up at the foot of Mt. Rainier located in Washington State, but never before had I observed her majesty from this position.  She looked different, yet oh so familiar.

It's kind of like this in life.  I can only be in one place at one time, never able to take on two points-of-view as my own.  Instead, I must choose where I will stand.  Either I will remain in the world's corner, or I will take to God's position.  I can't embrace the world and say I love God, it's just not possible.  In the same way that I can't see Mt. Rainier from two places at once, I am at risk of being considered God's enemy if I take my place as a friend of this world.

Worldly Values

Success by the world's standards is easy to recognize because we are constantly bombarded with it's message.  For instance, to reach the American dream I need to excel in a career I enjoy, be a part of a marriage to a good-looking man complete with children who possess all the latest gadgets, own the home of my dreams and at least one late model car for each driver in the home.  A pool in the backyard and extravagant vacations would also be nice.  Once I reach that goal, at least according the the world, I've made it.

According to God, however, success is defined differently.  Instead of looking to money and material wealth to gauge my level of achievement, God tests the state of my heart.  If I am fully devoted to Him, I will accept whatever circumstances in which He places me and I'll be content whether I have much or little. (Philippians 4:12)  If, however, my heart is drawn toward the world's idea of success, then I'll fight God's plan if it doesn't match up with my own.  He loves a humble attitude because it is pliable in His hands.

Embracing the world's set of values will lead me away from God.

Worldly Perspective

Preparing for the jetliner to back away from the terminal, the flight attendants went through the pre-flight ritual of demonstrating the safety tips.  Soon they were reminding me that, "in case the cabin loses pressure, oxygen masks will drop down from the console above."  The recommendation was to properly place my own mask before helping anyone else.

While this is good advice in case of this kind of emergency, it is not the way God wants His children to think in general.  Instead of putting myself first, it is His desire for me to value others above my own interests. (Philippians 2:3-4)

If I adopt the world's perspective as my own, not only will I be self-centered, but I'll also choose to do whatever feels good as long as I don't hurt anyone else.  God, however, desires for me to live a holy life, mimicking His holy character. (1 Peter 1:15-16)

Embracing the world's perspective will lead me away from God.

Worldly Pleasures

Enjoy lush accommodations and personalized service, delectable creations prepared by world-class chefs and white sand beaches where attendants will see to your every need.  This is the kind of luxury resort that caters to my fleshly desires.

It is easy for me to get caught up in wanting my own wishes to be fulfilled in every way.  I may not have the means to vacation at such a resort, but I am still in danger of adopting this attitude of entitlement because I naturally want to be comfortable and to quench my appetites.

Making choices according to what I want, though, is counter to the way God would have me go.  In fact, living according to my flesh only leads to sin, and living a life of sin as a believer who has been set free from it's grip leads to nothing but heartache and death. (Romans 8:5-8, 12-13, 6:11)

Embracing the world's pleasures will lead me away from God.


In the same way that I can't be in two places at one time, I also can't both be on God's side and a friend of the world.  To stay true to God I will need to guard against adopting as my own the world's values, perspective and pleasures, which all come quite naturally to my flesh.  So each day I ask myself, "Who's my friend today?"


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will be sensitive to how I am blending in with the culture around me.

When do I feel most comfortable with the world's ways?

How am I taking the world's position without really knowing it? 



No comments:

Post a Comment