The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Persevere!

"Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners,
so that you will not grow weary
and lose heart."
Hebrews 12:3



No good deed goes unpunished.  Hmmmpphh. . . I know why they say that!  I thought as I walked away from the house.  I was just trying to help, but they act like I'm their worst enemy.  Sheesh!  What did I ever do to them that they should be so cruel?

The world is filled with people just like you and me, sinners to the core, but they do not have the benefit of knowing Jesus.  Without the grace and mercy available through Christ, I would be just as hard-hearted and cynical as the mean and difficult people I run into on a regular basis.

Living in a world surrounded by many who don't understand His grace, I can expect to have much trouble. (John 16:33)  After all, the way God is calling me to live runs counter to the world's ways, and those who are lost will not understand my lifestyle. (1 Corinthians 1:18

This is a formula for discouragement if I ever heard it!  Thankfully, there is a way to continue on in the face of such sin and harsh treatment.

Weary

He was tired to the bone.  This prophet had served the Lord in many powerful ways and had seen the work of God's mighty hand, but what did he have to show for it?  The most evil and powerful woman in the region was out to get him, that's what!  And so he ran. . . and now, as he lay under a pitiful broom tree out in the middle of nowhere, he moaned, "I've had enough.  Take me now, Lord, I'm as good as dead."  (paraphrased from 1 Kings 19:4)

I've felt like Elijah at times, weary of this world and all the trouble that comes with it.  While no one has tried to take my life, many have attempted to suck the life out of me with their harsh words, superior attitudes and bitter opposition.  It's easy to grow jaded in the face of such disappointment and opposition. 

Living in a fallen world where sin and selfishness rule, weariness comes naturally.

Despondent

It's not just weariness, however, to which I fall prey.  Sometimes I'm like a certain prophet who grew angry that God didn't destroy the evil people of Ninevah.  After all, they deserved it!  They were some of the most malevolent people known for their bloody killings and terrorist tendencies.  But God, out of His great love and mercy, sent Jonah to warn them of their impending doom unless they repented of their ways.

And repent they did!  The entire nation turned to God, mourning their coming demise.  Even the king issued a decree that everyone turn from their evil ways and stop their violence with the hope that God would spare their lives.  (Jonah 3)  Jonah, however, did not rejoice with this turn of events.  Instead, his pride led him to resent that God would extend the same mercy shown him to these wicked people.

When I don't understand the wickedness of my own sinful heart, I effortlessly fall into this same attitude of despondency.  If I am living for Christ and so many around me are not, shouldn't I be the one to receive all the good things from God?

But only God has the right to decide upon whom His mercy will fall. (Romans 9:14-16)  It is my job to love those He sends my way, despite their sinful ways.

Living in a fallen world where wickedness reigns, I can easily lose heart by the seemingly unfairness of it all.

Remember

He endured ridicule, the scorn of many, the harsh blow of many whips and the cruel adornment of a crown of thorns, not to mention the humiliation of a criminal's trial followed by the sentence of a villian's death.  There is no doubt that Jesus suffered much at the hands of sinful men.

Keeping His sacrifice in mind, then, I soon realize my own predicament is not so bad.   I also can consider the fact that I am not alone in my sufferings for Jesus understands better than anyone.  Furthermore, I am far from innocent myself, truly deserving the kind of treatment Jesus experienced as a result of my sin but that He willingly bore for my sake.

Retaining a proper perspective, turning to Jesus for comfort and a reality check, and remembering who I am without the cleansing blood of Jesus will help me to keep a godly attitude and carry on.

Living in a fallen world where I can easily fall into the role of martyr, it's important for me to remember what Jesus has gone through.


There is no sense sugar-coating it:  This world is headed to hell in a handbasket!  Sin runs rampant and I constantly collide into it's effects everywhere I go.  Because of this, it's easy to grow weary of the battle and fall into despair when my kind of justice is not served.  The key to persevering, however, is to remember what Jesus suffered on my behalf, how he understands my predicament, and who I truly am without Him.  With this kind of attitude, I can keep going another day!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep my eyes focused on Jesus instead of the sin all around me.

How do I develop an attitude of judgment when dealing with the ramifications of sin in others?

When am I most vulnerable to giving up?   


No comments:

Post a Comment