The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Lessons of Faith (Part One)

"Now faith is confidence in what we hope for
and assurance about what we do not see.
This is what the ancients were commended for."
Hebrews 11:1-2



Edmund Burke, 18th Century Irish statesman, philosopher, classical political thinker and author is famously known to have said, "Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."  The study of our past is important to the welfare of our future.  Just as lessons can be learned from past mistakes, so insight can be gained into living a life pleasing to God by studying the giants of faith who came before us.

Today is the first in a four-part look into the strengths of those included in the Hall of Fame of Faith and the insight I can gain there.

Obedience

It's better than the greatest sacrifice, the most generous offering, the loftiest prayer, the grandest ceremony or the noblest effort. (1 Samuel 15:22-23, Isaiah 1:10-15)  Simply putting into practice what God teaches me, paying close attention to His instructions and heeding His calling on my life is what pleases God above all things.

Abel demonstrated this truth in the way he gave the offering required by the Lord.  Even though there is no record that God had instructed the first family of His expectation of a blood offering, His response to Cain's vegetable offering gives much insight.  When the elder pouted at God's rejection of his gift, the Lord said, "Why are you angry?  Why is your face downcast?  If you do what is right, will you not be accepted?" (Genesis 4:6)

Cain and Abel knew what God expected, but only Abel complied.  There are many times when I fudge the truth, doing what I deem as good enough but falling short of complete compliance.  Sometimes I wait to pay my tithe so I will have a "cushion" to fall back on. (Leviticus 23:10,14)  Other times I hear that still, small voice to take a step of faith but I pretend I don't notice, letting my fear hold me back. (1 Kings 19:12)  Then there are the times when I do just enough to get by instead of giving my all to the task at hand. (Colossians 3:17)  

The lesson I can learn from Abel is that complete and utter compliance to God's ways will result in His favor.

Reward

It was a half-hearted effort at best.  From the outside, nothing seemed out of place: she loyally scrubbed floors, dusted molding and cleaned toilets.  Judging by her heart, however, she was only serving out of a sense of duty and obligation.  If her heart had been entwined with her Savior's, she would have bounded forth with joy at the thought of toiling in such a way.  But as it was, she was only thinking about what she needed to do to keep in good standing with the church where she pledged allegiance.

I don't know much about Enoch based on his account found in scripture. (Genesis 5:21-24)  What is apparent is that he enjoyed close fellowship with the Lord.  Other than the fact that he was the father of the oldest man who ever lived, Methuselah, that's all I know; but that is enough.  Since he "walked faithfully with God 300 years" (v 22), it is apparent that God was pleased with his life.  As a result, he did not die but was simply taken away by the Lord.

Earnestly and sincerely seeking God and desiring to draw closer to Him above all other pursuits will earn me a reward. (Hebrews 11:6)  There is a difference between choosing to do something for the Lord, and joining in with what He is already doing.  He desires for me to become a part of the work He is doing and to become a willing vessel through which He can work. (2 Corinthians 12:9)  My relationship with Him is more important than any busy work I can accomplish for Him.  (Luke 10:42)

The lesson I can learn from Enoch is that there is great reward available in eternity when I wholeheartedly seek a close relationship with God.

Holy Fear

Water had never before fallen from the sky; nevertheless, God said it would happen and Noah believed it.  He put so much stock in the message the Lord had delivered that he spent around 100 years building a large sea-going vessel in the middle of dry land.  Noah had no reason to believe rain would fall, flooding the earth, other than the fact that God had said it.  And that was good enough for Noah.

Noah put his faith above his own desire to understand, comprehend or even be able to relate to God's instructions.  Instead of questioning how this would work, or wondering if it could be true since he'd never before witnessed such a thing, he acted.

I have a hard time obeying when I don't get it or I can't visualize the plan.  True faith, however, puts God at the helm of the ship and steps back into the position of a member of the crew, letting Him do the steering.  Allowing God to be in control happens when I cultivate a healthy respect for His position as Sovereign Lord.

The lesson I can learn from Noah is that God's ways are higher than my ways and that I need to trust Him and His plan without expecting to understand.  (Isaiah 55:8-9)


I can learn many lessons from the greats of Faith as listed in Hebrews 11.  The only proof, however, that I truly adopted this instructions as part of my life is if I obey God fully, seek Him earnestly, and trust Him implicitly.  Then, I will take a part of this faith as my own.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can strive to know you more intimately today than I did yesterday?

When do I have a need to know instead of simply trusting the direction in which God is leading me?

How do I try to impress God or others with what I do instead of simply following Him?


No comments:

Post a Comment