The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Contrast in Values

"Believers in humble circumstances ought to
take pride in their high position.
But the rich should take pride in their humiliation--
since they will pass away like a wild flower.
For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant;
its blossom falls and its beauty is destroyed.
In the same way,
the rich will fade away even 
while they go about their business.
Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because,
having stood the test,
that person will receiver the crown of life
that the Lord has promised to those who love him."
James 1:9-12



Dew drops glistened in the morning sun, drawing my attention to the crimson blooms.  My rose plants looked especially beautiful that Spring dawn, velvety and rich in color.  Green leaves flourished all around, making a luscious backdrop to the deep hues found here and there throughout the bush.  The roses are doing especially well this year, I thought to myself.

A few days later I saw a different scene.  Spots of mildew spread throughout the plant and most of the leaves had fallen.  The blooms were all spent and not one new bud could be seen.  Disease had attacked the once beautiful roses.

Life here on earth is transient.  One day a bird is flying through the air singing the praises of his Creator in heaven, the next he lays dead on the ground.  Even though I can count on the sun to rise each and every morning, I cannot be confident that I will be there to witness the dawn.  Consequently, I would be wise to choose God's value system, which differs greatly from my own.  While I tend to latch onto that which is transient, God values the eternal, which is unseen.

I have to choose whose value system I will adopt:  God's which values that which the world despises and despises what the world loves, or the world's which will soon pass away.

Humble vs. High Position

"Ummm. . . .excuse me, Jesus?"
"Yes?"
"Well, uh, my brother and I were talking and we wanted to ask. . . when you take your throne, would it be possible to be placed in positions of honor; one on either side of you?"

It's hard to know what James and John were thinking when they asked for such a privilege, but one thing is certain:  They valued high positions.  Jesus proceeded to school them in the ranking system of the Kingdom of God.  He said if they truly want to be honored, they must be the servant of all.  Then, in case it wasn't clear enough, Jesus wrapped up the lesson with this shocker.  "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."  (Mark 10:45)

Choosing God's system of values means I will be as willing to do the menial, thankless work as I am to accept the high-profile, rewarding jobs.  It also means I'll venerate a landscape worker as much if not more than I do a CEO.  It reminds me of a story I heard about the final exam a notoriously strict college professor gave to a group of medical students.  The test consisted of one question:  "What is the name of the janitor who cleans this building?"  It seems this educator knew a little about what was truly important to God.

God values lowly positions as a mine field where all sorts of valuables are unearthed.  

Poor vs. Rich

The man lived the ultimate life of luxury; sleeping on fine Egyptian cotton sheets, dining on caviar and the most difficult-to-find delicacies, and driving expensive high-performance cars.  If money could buy it, he loved it.  

As this well-to-do man walked to lunch at his favorite restaurant each day, he always passed a homeless man whose skin was covered in sores.  As pitiful as the beggar looked, the busy man scarcely gave the poor guy a glance, so self-absorbed was he.

Jesus tells this story to illustrate further the value system found in God's kingdom.  (Luke 16:19-31)  While the world goes after comfort, pleasure and riches now, those who follow Jesus know the real reward comes later.   If I want to live under God's value system I would do well to live as though everything I can see and touch will soon pass away, choosing to go after eternal treasures instead.  (Matthew 6:331 Corinthians 7:29-31)

God offers the more precious riches later, while the world goes after temporal treasures now.

Trials vs. Smooth Sailing

He was unjustly thrown in prison numerous times, whipped too often to count, faced death over and over, was beaten with rods, stoned and left for dead, shipwrecked not once but three times, encountered all kinds of dangers that come with traveling extensively and endured periods of great hunger and thirst.  Basically, the Apostle Paul's life after yielding to Jesus was one trial after another. (2 Corinthians 11:23-27)

This is not a great advertisement for living a life dedicated to the Lord!  A much easier sell would be to promise clear waters and smooth sailing, a life of ease and comfort, or at least happy times all around!  

The reality is, however, that living with Jesus means I'll experience a lot of the same treatment He received. (Matthew 10:25) Not only that, but I can expect lots of refinement as my Father purifies me and molds me into the image of Jesus. (Psalm 66:10, Romans 8:29)   Living as a legitimate daughter means I will also endure discipline designed to bring me closer to Him.  (Hebrews 12:5-6)

Oswald Chambers wrote about hard times in this way.  "Jesus has prayed nothing less for us than absolute oneness with Himself as He was one with the Father.  Some of us are far off it, and yet God will not leave us alone until we are one with Him, because Jesus has prayed that we may be."  Until I recognize suffering as a useful instrument of grace in God's hands, I will always fight against the struggles of life.

God cherishes trials and difficult times as a tool used to grow my faith and draw me closer to Him.


The world teaches that I should expect respect and admiration from others, that I have a right to a certain level of comfort, and that life is successful if it is trouble-free.  God, however, has a different idea.  He places much more worth on humble attitudes and positions, accepting poverty now in exchange for riches later, and trials as a means to draw me closer.  There is no doubt that there is a contrast between the values of the world and those of God.  Which will I choose this day?


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will treasure those things the world despises.

When do I fall into the trap of seeking my treasure in the here and now?

How am I fighting against what God is doing by not accepting the trials He sends my way? 

No comments:

Post a Comment