The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, May 10, 2013

Lessons of Faith (Part Three)

"Now faith is confidence in what we hope for
and assurance about what we do not see."
Hebrews 11:1



Kids love to play "Follow the Leader" where one child takes on the role of leader and all the other children follow behind.  It is especially fun in the snow or in a field of tall grass where a path must be plowed or trampled in order to make the way clear for those who come behind.

In the same way I am following behind a parade of giants of faith whose testimonies have been left behind as guideposts.  I can learn a lot by paying attention to the way they handled the situations God brought into their lives, and apply these lessons to my own so that I can stay on the path God has for me. 

Let's see what the Hall of Fame of Faith inductees found in Hebrews 11 have to teach us today.

Promise Receiver

It didn't make sense to him, but he had already accepted the fact that he'd be the father of many nations so he knew God would make a way for Isaac to survive.  The very instrument through whom the world would receive this tremendous blessing was now being placed on the altar of obedience.  Abraham would do nothing else but comply with His heavenly Father, receiving the promise into the depths of his being as he did. (Hebrews 11:17-19)

The fact that Abraham had taken on the role God had placed upon him as a conduit of blessing, he didn't hesitate to do something out of obedience that seemed to contradict God's promise.  Instead, he trusted that God had a plan he didn't know anything about.

It is easy to hear a promise God has made to me, like that I am His child, but not take it on as part of my identity.  Abraham received his promise so fully that it was bonded into his flesh so that nothing could divide him from that blessing.  It reminds me of when I make chocolate milk. Once I mix the chocolate syrup and the milk, there is no separating them: They are now a new compound.

If I am to truly receive the promise of my adoption into God's family, it will change my chemical makeup and I will become a whole new creation.  Instead of fearing when hard times come, I will trust my Father in heaven who supplies all my needs because that's what it means to be a child.  Any other reaction stems from my inability to embrace this promise.

A lesson I can learn from Abraham is to fully receive the promises God has made to me, taking them on as a part of me.

Yield

Legacy.  Many people talk about the legacy they will leave when they have departed from this life.  It is good to consider for what we will be remembered when we're gone, but I see something a little bigger going on during these beginning stages of the nation of Israel.

When Isaac, Jacob and Joseph each came to the end of their lives, they thought not of their own legacy, but the heritage of God.  Jacob was blessed by Isaac as the eldest, even though he was second born. (Genesis 27)  While it was his mother Rebekah who hatched the plan for her favored son to receive the special blessing, God was the one who had chosen Jacob from the beginning. (Romans 9:10-13)  

Likewise, Jacob and Joseph each spoke life into God's sovereign plan through their blessings and instructions given on their death bed.  Each of these men was used by God to propel the master plan into action, keeping in mind that what was to come in the future depended upon what they did at the time.

While God's plan is not dependent upon my actions, whether or not I'll be on His side is up to me.  If I do things out of selfish ambition or self-preservation or self pity, I am not following my Shepherd and will not glorify His name.   When I submit myself to His ways, however, future generations will benefit and I will get to be a part of His legacy.

A lesson I can learn from Isaac, Jacob and Joseph is to yield to God's sovereign, far-reaching plan instead of only being concerned with the here and now.

Fearless

It was a scary time.  The king had issued a decree that all boys should be thrown into the Nile upon birth. (Exodus 1:22)  This man was known for his cruelty and no one dared to defy his wishes.  Yet one family, seeing that their son was a special gift from God, hid their baby boy away for three months, revering God more than they feared Pharaoh.  (Exodus 2:1-2, Hebrews 11:23)

What do I fear more than God?  I sometimes let my dread of failure, or standing out in a crowd, or looking like a fool stop me from doing what is right.  A lot of times I'd rather not try than to fall short, blend in with the masses than to rock the boat, and save my reputation than to look stupid.

If I were to take on the same attitude as the parents of Moses, however, I would fearlessly and recklessly place God's call above my own welfare, knowing how much more important that is than my own comfort and safety.  Then I'd plunge forward with abandon, relish sticking out like a sore thumb, and live like a fool for Christ.

A lesson I can learn from Isaac, Jacob and Joseph is to live my life without fear.


Today's lessons can take me far in my walk with God.  These faithful few compel me to fully receive God's promises as part of my being, to yield to God's Sovereign plan in all my ways, and to live fearlessly for Him.  In these ways I will become like one of the giants of faith.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God more than I fear failure.

When do I doubt God's promises because I haven't really accepted them as my own?

How am I a coward for Christ? 


No comments:

Post a Comment