The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, May 6, 2013

Christ the Mediator

"For this reason
Christ is the mediator of a new covenant,
that those who are called
may receive the promised eternal inheritance--
now that he has died as a ransom
to set them free from the sins committed
under the first covenant."
Hebrews 9:15



The view was breathtaking that cold, crisp morning as I stood on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.  Surveying the panoramic display before me, taking in the rock formations laced with every shade of orange and yellow known to nature, my imagination awakened beyond the beauty of the rock sculptures.  The depth of my being stirred at the scope of the chasm between myself and the North Rim.  I imagined taking flight like an eagle and exploring the peaks and valleys otherwise off limits to man. 

This wide, 10-mile-wide gap is impossible to span without the help of a helicopter or some other outside assistance.  It reminds me of the distance between my sinful self and God.  My transgressions make drawing close to a holy God an unattainable feat.  Only through Christ is it possible to enter into a relationship with the God who loves me, making a bridge spanning the uncrossable chasm caused by my sin a reality.

By His Blood

Flies swarmed around the dried blood and carcasses scattered about the temple area.  The altar itself seemed to be alive as the insects buzzed around the crimson fluid sprinkled against all sides, creating a wave-like motion as the bugs moved as one.  Each time a sin had been realized by one of God's people, an offering was required to make atonement, restoring a right fellowship with God who takes His law seriously. (Leviticus 5)

Under the old covenant, sacrifice was a regular necessity since blood was required in order to make atonement, thus satisfying God's holy nature which demanded the shedding of blood to make up for sin. In fact, it is impossible for God to forgive His people without the cleansing properties of blood. (Hebrews 9:22)

Under the new covenant, I am covered by the blood of Jesus which washes me clean from the guilt of my sins. (Isaiah 1:18) As a result, I can go before my Father in heaven without fear or trepidation, but with the assurance that He sees me through the filter of the blood of Jesus and I appear white as snow.

I am therefore free from the burden of trying to be good enough to please God, of constantly keeping a record of my wrongdoings so I can make up for them before a holy God, or feeling as if I'm not worthy to enter into His presence. (Ephesians 3:12)  Instead, I can boldly claim my place as His child.  (1 John 3:1)   

The blood of Jesus washes away my sins, giving me the opportunity to live in relationship to my Father. 

Once For All

The ritual became tedious, as vital as it was to the cleansing of their sins.  The blood of the animals, even though required, was simply not enough to completely take away the transgressions of the Israelites: The stain of sin always remained. (Hebrews 10:4)

As Jesus obeyed His Father, laying His life down as a final, Holy sacrifice, His blood was enough to permanently and completely atone for the sins of mankind, once and for all.  (Hebrews 10:10)  Once I have entered into a relationship with Him, casting my sins upon the cross, I am free from the power of guilt in my life.  

No longer must I worry if I am doing enough for God since Jesus did all that was needed.  No longer do I have the guilt of past sins tarnishing my image because the final sacrifice removed my shame, allowing me to see my true identity as a beloved child of the One True King. No longer am I bound by fear for I have been set free from all punishment by the God who loves me perfectly.  (1 John 4:18)

The blood of Jesus provides the redemption of sins for all mankind, wholly and eternally.

Hope of Eternity

Despair settled in as he contemplated his situation:  He lost all his money when the stock market crashed.  His family had recently been brutally killed in a home invasion, leaving him utterly alone in the world.  As if that weren't enough his doctor had recently diagnosed him with an incurable form of cancer, giving him only a few more months to live.  This man lost all hope.

Without Jesus, life is bleak with no redeeming qualities unto itself.  If this world and the life I've been given was all there was, I would feel as discouraged as the young man described above.  Thankfully, I have the hope of eternity through faith in Jesus Christ.

When the bills are piling up and the bank account is dwindling, I need not despair because I know I will be rich beyond measure when I live in my Father's mansion.  (John 14:1-3)  When my bones are aching and the pain is more than I can bear, I can endure because I know my eternal destination will be a place free from suffering.  (Revelation 21:4)  When my life seems empty and devoid of meaning, I know the truth that I am here to run the race set before me and can keep my eyes focused on the finish line.  (Hebrews 12:1-3, James 1:12, 1 Corinthians 9:25)

The blood of Jesus gives me the hope of eternity in a world full of disappointments.


As sinful as I am and as holy as God is, I most certainly need a third party to intervene.  I am incapable of crossing the void my transgressions creates between myself and the God who loves me.  I am thankful for Christ who is the go-between, bridging this impossible gap.  His blood makes the forgiveness of my sins possible, once and for all, and gives me the hope of an eternity with the One who loves me perfectly.  This is the kind of mediator I gladly welcome into my life!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can remember who I am in Christ and forget the old me that is bound by sin.

When do I hang onto my sins as if they are old friends?

How do I let fear hold me back? 


No comments:

Post a Comment