The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Chosen

"But you are a chosen people,
a royal priesthood,
a holy nation,
God's special possession,
that you may declare the praises of him who called you
out of darkness into his wonderful light.
Once you were not a people,
but now you are the people of God;
once you had not received mercy,
but now you have received mercy."
1 Peter 2:9-10



What a difference a day makes, I thought as I talked to my friend who had recently undergone surgery to replace her knee joint.  Despite the discomfort of the actual procedure, she could sense the improvement immediately.  Gone was the excruciating pain of her deteriorated joint.  In it's place, all she felt was healing.

It's amazing how modern medicine can make radical modifications that improve our quality of life.  In much the same way, submitting to Jesus as Lord of my life also generates a fundamental change.  All who follow Jesus were chosen for that purpose so that we could bring praise to our Father.  Look what a difference that has made!

Darkness to Light


I love the Pacific Northwest where I spent the first 24 years of my life.  Once my husband and I moved to North Carolina, though, I learned that cloudy days are rare in other parts of the country.  I was so accustomed to dark and dreary days that I grew tired of the endless Carolina sunshine!

As a follower of Christ, I have also moved from darkness into light.  While the weather may be more of a personal preference, spiritual darkness is a sign that I am drifting away from God.  (Ephesians 5:8-14, 1 John 1:5-7)  I used to live in the darkness where sin runs rampant and my fleshly desires rule.  Now, however, the blood of Jesus has filled me with His light and I can live at peace with Him and others.

Continuing to live in the light as I follow Jesus brings praise to my Father in heaven.

Nobody to People of God

She had no family outside of her mother and father.  There were no aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, brothers or sisters.  While most people have some kind of a family tree, my friend had more of a shrub.  When her mother suddenly died, she began to think about her lack of a familial heritage.

While my friend has very little in the way of a physical family, she has quite an extensive spiritual family.  As part of the family of God through faith in Jesus Christ, I too entered into a long line of people with a powerful purpose who live a life of meaning.  Where once I floundered along with no sense of the big picture, now I am part of something much larger than myself.  

Instead of seeing myself as an individual, I now am part of the body of Christ with a specific job to carry out.  (1 Corinthians 12:18-20)  While I used to think I was in control of my own destiny, I now see that my Father guides my footsteps. (Proverbs 16:9)  Before I gave my life to Jesus, I thought things happened by chance or according to luck, but now I know the One who carries a blueprint for my life.  (Jeremiah 29:11)

Continuing to live as though I belong to the body of Christ brings praise to my Father in heaven.

Doomed to a Recipient of Mercy

The path was wide and well traveled.  I felt comfortable there surrounded by my friends.  Little did I know, however, that I was headed toward destruction.  (Matthew 7:13-14)  Once my eyes were opened and I realized my need for the saving grace of God offered through the sacrifice of Jesus, I entered through a small gate onto the narrow road that leads to life.

While I would not have chosen this path myself due to the lack of self-gratification, comfort and indulgences I crave so much, I would not otherwise have received the mercy that is reserved for His children.  I have exchanged the life of which I dreamed in the flesh for a glory that will far outweigh anything I could imagine.  (2 Corinthians 4:17-18)  What I have to look forward to in eternity is what helps me stay encouraged as I struggle onward on the straight and narrow.

Continuing to live as one who has received mercy brings praise to my Father in heaven.


I have been chosen to follow Jesus so that I can bring praise to my heavenly Father.  The changes that came as a result can never be measured.  I have moved from darkness into light, from a nobody to a member of His family, and from one who is condemned to a beneficiary of His great mercy.  Now I can see how my life can bring glory to the Lord!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can remember for what I have been chosen.

When do I tend to drift back toward the darkness from whence I came?

How am I still living as if I'm doomed for destruction instead of saved for an abundant life?

No comments:

Post a Comment