The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, April 22, 2013

Expectations

"Here is a trustworthy saying:

If we died with him,
we will also live with him;
if we endure,
we will also reign with him.
If we disown him,
he will also disown us;
if we are faithless,
he remains faithful,
for he cannot disown himself."
2 Timothy 2:11-13



There are many things I expect out of life.  I want to be able to live a comfortable, happy life, at least within reason.  I don't ask for much, I rationalize, so the few things I do enjoy I should be able to receive.  I also expect a minimal level of respect from those I come into contact with; after all, I am an important person. . . at least I am to me!  Another thing I expect is to reach my goals and to live my dreams.  What's the point of having them if they don't come to fruition?

The problem with these expectations is that when they fall through, I become disillusioned and disappointed.  In fact, I could even fall into a state of depression and hopelessness.  There are certain things I can expect from life, but they aren't based on my wants and desires.  Instead, these expectations are based on my actions and attitudes; I truly do reap what I sow. I can either sow seeds of sin and hopelessness, or I can stay faithful to God.

Live in Him

Sin is everywhere, especially in my own heart.  Selfishness, discontent, pride, hatred, gossip, worry, dissension, envy, slander and impurity can all be found in my heart.  

When I live to these sins, they become bigger and bigger in my life until Jesus can no longer be seen.  But when I do as Paul suggested and, "consider (myself) to be dead to the power of sin. . ." (Romans 6:11 NLT) then I can live in God through Christ Jesus.

If I die to sin, I can expect to live in Jesus just as He described (John 15:5).

Reign with Him

No one wants to simply survive.  I'd much rather think about having a life where I thrive, not just get through.  Sometimes, though, as much as Jesus promised an abundant life, that wealth doesn't show up as I expect. (John 10:10)  

I want a happy and fulfilling life, but sometimes I receive a difficult existence filled with suffering. Or, I dream of an abundance of money to share with others, but instead I am handed a life of living from paycheck to paycheck.  Or, I desire to do big things for God yet all I'm offered is seemingly meaningless work for Him.

The abundance Jesus promised can be found in my heart despite my external circumstances.  When I go through difficulties or disappointment, I can rejoice in these sufferings because it is a sign that not only will I share in the pain, but also in His triumph.  Endurance is more than just getting through.  Rather, it is to carry on despite the hardships, knowing that there is so much more waiting for me on the other side.

If I endure what God sends my way, I can expect to reign with Christ.

Disowned by Him

Big brothers or sisters are good at pretending their younger sibling is not related to them.  Hurtful treatment like this can cause a lot of friction but is thankfully not always a permanent situation: This stage usually ends once the elder reaches adulthood.  

With God, however, my refusal to acknowledge Christ as Lord over all things means He will treat me as a stranger before our Father in heaven.  (Matthew 10:33)  Sometimes I don't want to admit in front of others that I follow Jesus, but other times it's an issue of lordship.

It is easy to desire to retain control over certain areas of my life, such as my finances, or my hurt feelings, or my relationships.  If I truly want to say I belong to Him, however, I will need to prove it by submitting these areas to Him.  

If I disown Jesus as my Lord and Savior, I can expect to be disowned by Him.


With everything I expect out of life, there are only a few areas on which I can count.  If I die to sin I know I will live in Him.  Moreover, enduring the difficulties God sends my way will result in sharing in the triumph of Christ.  It's sobering to realize, however, how my inability to identify myself as a Christ follower will result in Him denying my kinship.  Thankfully, I can always expect God to be faithful, even when I can't be trusted.  He will never let me down, of that I can count!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will only expect what God promises.

How do I pin my hopes on a good life here and forget that eternity with Christ will far outshine anything I could dream of?

Can I think of a time when God has been faithful despite my unfaithfulness?

No comments:

Post a Comment