The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Future Firm Foundation

"Command those who are rich in this present world
not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth,
which is so uncertain,
but to put their hope in God,
who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.
Command them to do good,
to be rich in good deeds,
and to be generous and willing to share.
In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves
as a firm foundation for the coming age,
so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life."



I have a friend who is building a new house which she hopes will be what she calls her family's 'forever home'.  Her husband retired from the Army a few years ago and they decided to settle down in the area.  While the house is being built, they are moving out of their present home and into an apartment, making the temporary sacrifice so they can more easily sell the old place and prepare for the new. 

This kind of reminds me of my life in Christ.  The life I live in this body is fleeting but I have a permanent home in heaven to which I look forward;  my forever home.  While I wait for the time to move into my eternal residence, I have been provided with transitional housing that includes everything I need while here.  This, however,pales in comparison to the riches of a life in my Father's house.  While I wait, I cannot put my hope in the earthly riches God has provided to me.  Instead, I can use my time here to build a future firm foundation.

Do Good

There are many people who have been labeled as good:  Mother Teresa, Princess Diana, Martin Luther King Jr, Mohandas Gandhi, Dalai Lama and Abraham Lincoln to name a few.  Most recently, the newly elected pontiff of the Catholic Church, Pope Francis, is said to be one of the humblest, most ordinary of nice guys to ever hold this high position.  A neighbor of mine who belongs to the Catholic Church gushed over his decency and kindness, saying  "I would love to meet him one day because he just comes across as such a good man."

While many people can do good, none of us are inherently good.  In fact, we are sinful at our very core, (Romans 3:23) and even my best attempt at goodness is tainted by sin.  (Isaiah 64:6)

God, however, is not looking for me to show my goodness.  Rather, He is waiting for me to crucify more of my sin on the cross so that His goodness can show through in my life.  The good He wants from me is to surrender to Him so I can choose His way rather than mine.

Choosing the way of God's love builds up a firm foundation in my Father's house. 

Rich in Good Deeds

There's an old saying attributed to 19th Century Irish author and playwright Oscar Wilde that says, "No good deed goes unpunished."  I can relate.  There are many times when I go out of my way to help someone or show kindness to them only to have my efforts ignored, taken for granted or rebuffed.  This can be discouraging, especially if I have the expectation that my action will result in some kind of positive feedback.

The Apostle Paul gave Timothy a list of good deeds to look for in widows, but it gives me an idea of what to expect in my own life as I submit to Christ as my Lord.  These include bringing up children, showing hospitality, washing the feet of the Lord's people and helping those in trouble. (1 Timothy 5:10) Basically, it is my responsibility to look for the opportunities to be the hands and feet of Jesus in a fallen world, and then to do these acts with the pure intention of reflecting God's glory.  (1 Corinthians 10:31)  

Being rich in good deeds by looking for ways to serve people builds up a firm foundation in my Father's house.

Generous

There is an old proverb that says, "If you love something set it free.  If it comes back to you, it's yours.  If it doesn't, it never was."  Most people apply this to a person, but the principle could also be considered in relation to my material wealth; all the stuff I own.  

Since God is the giver of all good things, I know all material and spiritual blessings come from Him.  (James 1:17)  Whenever He gives me something good, instead of assuming its for me, my first reaction can be to ask if it might be for someone else.   Holding my time, talents and possessions with an open hand means I'll be being willing to let them go for another's benefit, to my Father's glory.

Being willing to share with others builds up a firm foundation in my Father's house.


While I live in this temporary dwelling, I can either live for myself, putting all my efforts into making the here and now comfortable and satisfying, or I can focus on what my future holds in eternity.  By choosing God's way instead of mine, intentionally looking for ways to serve others, and living with an open hand and generous heart, my future in eternity will be rich with treasures.  This is the kind of foundation I don't mind building!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can think of the things God has given to me as belonging to Him instead of me.

How am I rich in material possessions or character but poor in good deeds?

When do I balk at giving to others? 

No comments:

Post a Comment