The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Rules of this World

"You have died with Christ,
and he has set you free from the 
spiritual powers of this world.
So why do you keep on following the rules of the world,
such as,
'Don't handle! Don't taste! Don't touch!'?
Such rules are mere human teachings 
about things that deteriorate as we use them.
These rules may seem wise because they require 
strong devotion, pious self-denial,
and severe bodily discipline.
But they provide no help in conquering a person's evil desires."
Colossians 2:20-23 NLT


Sharia law is a complex system of rules developed by early Muslim scholars to help followers of Allah to live in a way that is holy and pleasing to him.  It details every possible human act, regulating devotional life, worship, ritual purity, marriage and inheritance, criminal offenses, commerce and personal conduct.  This strict law even regulates how Islamic states are to govern and relate to non-Muslims within that country as well as those outside their state.  In short, Sharia law is overwhelmingly complicated and is a religion unto itself.

Alarmingly, followers of Christ sometimes get caught up into this same way of thinking, trying to come up with a code of conduct for all Christians to follow.  This, however, defeats the purpose of Christ's death which set us free from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:2)  As one who was bought at a price (1 Corinthians 6:19-20), it goes against the teaching of Christ to fall back into this cycle that leads to death.  Following rules does not save me nor does it have any power to help me with my sin problem.  Only the blood of Jesus possesses that kind of power.

Self-Imposed Worship

"C'mon!  Are you happy to be here this morning?!  Get up on your feet!  Clap your hands!  It's time to praise the Lord!  Do you BELIEVE?  C'mon and show it!"

It's funny how I can feel pressure in some situations to praise God in a certain way.  Each of us has a different expectation of what worship should look like, but the truth is that worship does not only take place in a group on Sunday morning.  I can worship God anytime or anyplace and I don't need to be able to carry a tune to do so.

The way I live my life and the position of my heart is what pleases God.  When I surrender all to Him so He can do as He pleases through me, this act of sacrifice is received as worship by God. (Romans 12:1)  When I try to impose what I think of as worship upon myself or others, I am going down a path cleared by man, not God, and I do not impress Him at all.

Living up to man's expectation of how I should show my love for God contributes nothing of worth to Him.  Instead, true worship adjusts my attitude and puts me in my proper place as a child of God who is saved by His grace through faith in Jesus Christ.  The only thing of value I then have to give to God is my wholehearted devotion in every moment of the life He has given to me.

Worship is something that takes place between my heart and God's.

False Humility

He had every right to call for respect and honor, but didn't demand that kind of treatment.  Instead, He stooped to the position of a servant, even though He deserved to sit upon the throne.  As the One who willingly put himself into the world He created, going on to live a perfect human life, He still subjected Himself to death on a cross out of obedience to His Father. (Philippians 2:6-8)  Even though He deserved to be served, He came to serve others. (Mark 10:45)

This is the picture of true humility found in Christ.  This attitude cannot be faked but comes from a heart that is submitted to God.  How I think of myself is the test of my level of pride: Christ was God, yet He didn't think this was something on which He needed to cling.  Instead, He chose to release this identity and take on a much lower one in order to bring glory to His Father.

Saying words that sound humble and putting on the pretense that I don't think highly of myself is not the same as possessing a heart of meekness.   I learned this the hard way when I taught Sunday School for a Protestant program at Ft Bragg.  Since it was not affiliated with a certain church, we held our classes in a local school.  Because of this arrangement, it was easy to quietly serve God in this important way without drawing attention to myself.

I thought I was pretty humble about it until I came to my last day before our family moved out of state.  Everything proceeded as normal and soon I found myself walking out the door on the way to church, finished with my final morning of duties.  I happened to pass by the director who greeted me as if it were any other day.  My heart sank as I realized I would get no special recognition or thank you.  That is when I knew my attitude was not one of true humility.

Humility is an attitude that desires God's will above anything else.

Harsh Treatment

"Don't faint on the road.  Don't wear a man's cap.  Don't wear tight garters.  Don't wear loud hued leggings.  Don't refuse assistance up a hill.  Don't wear jewelry while on a tour."  This is a list of some of the rules for women cyclists published in 1895 in New York World.  While it seems a bit burdensome, it's not so different from some of the rules I can come up with to live a more holy life.

"Don't fish on Sundays.  Don't play cards.  Don't eat meat.  Don't watch rated R movies.  Don't pray with your hat on.  Don't forget to fast once a week."  These are some of the rules I've heard people impose on others.  While some may seem ridiculous, they were seriously implemented with the belief that they would lead to holiness.

Subjecting myself to strict eating practices, rituals and a list of avoidances does not lead to anything but frustration.  If I focus more on the Person of Jesus Christ and my allegiance to Him, He will change my heart and give me different desires that will change my behavior.  Following a list of what not to do is a bit like putting the cart before the horse.

My actions will please God when done out of love for Him.


There is so much more to living in relationship with Christ than following a list of rules.  When He died, He set me free from the burden of trying in futility to earn my own salvation and instead gave it to me freely.  When I live with Jesus, I learn to worship Him in my heart, humble myself in submission before Him, and to love Him in the way I live.  In this way, I can throw out the rules of this world and show I belong to Him by walking in His light. (Isaiah 29:13, 1 John 1:7)


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep my eyes on Jesus instead of on a set of rules.

When do I get caught up with what I should and shouldn't do?

How am I putting up a front of humility when really I desire recognition or thanks?

No comments:

Post a Comment