The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, April 8, 2013

Loyal Hearts

"We have confidence in the Lord
that you are doing and will continue to do
the things we command.
May the Lord direct your hearts
into God's love
and Christ's perseverance."
2 Thessalonians 3:4,5


It is a miracle when any group of people can work together in one accord.  When it's church people, however, who get a job done with willing hearts and little to no bickering, there is no doubt that it is by the hand of God!  Unfortunately, the people of God are not always known for their unity of spirit.  

There is at least one instance in the Old Testament scriptures that stands out as an exception: It was when David was collecting materials for the tremendous task his son, Solomon, would undertake in building the temple of the Lord.  So many resources were needed, and astonishingly, it was the people of Israel who willingly gave from their hearts that supplied all that was necessary.

Afterward, David prayed to God, praising Him for His greatness and provision, going on to ask that He would keep the hearts of the people forever loyal to Him.  David knew it was God who unified the people, for he knew as well as any of us how difficult it is for people to agree on anything, let alone give up their valuables for a single cause.  Yes indeed, God worked a miracle in the hearts of His people that day.

This, however, is not a phenomenon that is peculiar to the people of David's time.  God can still unify us, giving us a heart that only desires Him and His will.  In this way, He gives us harmony that distinguishes us for the rest of the world.


Sovereignty

He knew God was in control of every aspect of creation, even the weather.  Consequently, Elijah prayed in faith, without a doubt in his mind that God could keep it from raining for three years.  It's not that Elijah was special, it's just that he understood that God is sovereign over all things.  He believed that because of God's power, He was able to do anything, even keep the rain from falling.  (1 Kings 17:1, James 5:17)  It's not so much that prayer is powerful as it is that the God to whom the prayer is directed is mighty.

Keeping this in mind, I realize that the things that I do that matter to God are not done out of the goodness of my heart.  Quite the contrary, since my heart is deceitful above all things, leading me down the wrong path time and time again.  (Jeremiah 17:9)  Instead, it is God who works in me, directing my heart and giving me the desire to submit to His work in my life.

As I yield to His sovereign power, I am telling Him that I want Him to have His way in my life and my prayers reflect that submission.  He's going to get His way despite my stubbornness, the only question is whether I will be a part of His plan, or continuing on in my own way apart from Him.

When God is the center of my life, my heart is loyal to His sovereign work in my life.

Love

For around 350 years the people of Israel followed a predicable pattern:  They rebelled against the God who loved them, found themselves in hot water as a consequence, crying out to the Lord and asking Him to have mercy on them and save them from destruction.  God would then, out of His great compassion for His people, send a judge to set them back on track.  Everything would then be pretty good until that judge died, sending the people back to the beginning of the cycle.

There is no doubt that God loves His wayward people and that His kindness is not based on our worthiness or faithfulness; if it were, we would have long ago been wiped off the face of the earth. Even now, it's the same; God has not changed.  There  is nothing I can do to lose the love I experience through faith in Jesus Christ.  (Romans 8:38-39)

When I keep Him first, above all things, He directs my heart into His love so that kindness and compassion can overflow into the lives of those with whom I come into contact.  Then I will find myself giving others a break where usually I would not cut any slack, or sense a desire to help those who I usually ignore, or to forgive the one who hurt me deeply.

When God is the center of my life, my heart is loyal to the love that becomes the hallmark of my life.

Perseverance

He never gave up, even though He was falsely accused, sentenced to death on a cross, mocked and ridiculed and put through torturous treatment that would break even the bravest soul.  Despite this unjust and inhumane persecution, Jesus Christ endured the cross, even forgiving those who killed Him.  (Hebrews 12:2)

I may never have to go through such torture as this, but I can be sure that I possess the same kind of stick-to-it-iveness.  With the perseverance of Christ I can keep going despite the pain that wracks my body, desiring to be used by God for His glory.  With His determination I can endure harsh treatment from those I love, giving nothing but mercy and kindness in return.  With the resolve of Jesus I am able to endure financial hardship, trusting Him to provide everything I need.

When God is the center of my life, my heart is loyal to the One who gives me perseverance to keep going for His glory.



Just as the people of God were able to work as with one heart in the time of David, we can also live in one accord.  God can keep my heart loyal to Him as I make Him the center of all things.  When He is, I will desire to let Him have His way, to dwell in His love, and to endure all kinds of treatment and hardships.  This is how I keep faithful to Him and let harmony rule.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will keep God at the center.

When do I complain about my circumstances instead of letting the perseverance of Christ empower me to carry on?

How does His love overflow into the lives of others around me?


No comments:

Post a Comment