The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Guard Against Disbelief

"See to it,
brothers and sisters,
that none of you has a sinful,
unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God.
But encourage one another daily,
as long as it is called "Today,"
so that none of you may be hardened by sins' deceitfulness.
We have come to share in Christ,
if indeed we hold our original conviction
 firmly to the very end."
Hebrews 3:12-14



The car broke down on the way home from Bible study.  My nephew is graduating from high school on the other side of the country.  The IRS wants their money, as does my daughter's expensive college.  These are a few of the challenges I am facing.  I can either let them distract me from Jesus and discourage me to the point of despair as I turn toward the problem and away from God, or I can rest securely in the knowledge that God allowed these difficulties into my life for a reason.  His purposes are always good so I can trust Him, if I choose, no matter how impossible things seem. (Romans 8:28)

In this world, its easy to let circumstances, trials and tribulations turn me away from God.  In order to stop this natural slide away, I must guard against unbelief.  As Oswald Chambers said, "Faith never knows where it is being led, but it loves and knows the One who is leading."

Encourage

It seemed like nothing was going right that day.  I received a notice of insufficient funds in our checking account, the final straw on an overwhelming load of unforeseen financial struggles.  As I spoke to the customer service agent from the creditor whose payment had overdrawn our account, she explained to me how the automatic payment had not been stopped as I had been reassured it had the week before.  I felt the pressure of the past year of monetary woes come crashing down upon my head.  Sheesh!  Can I get a break here?  

Then our gracious Father sent me some encouragement from the most unlikely place.  When I called the bank to let them know we'd be a little late on our insurance payment, a sister in Christ took my call.  She asked me how things were really going and I revealed my frustration, telling her how I felt that right when I thought we were getting our finances under control, something else would happen.  I felt discouraged to say the least.

God, however, held things firmly under His control.  Out of 18,000 who answer the phones at our bank, God directed me to her.  This godly woman showed her application of Hebrews 10:24, 25 as she gave me word after word of positive affirmation, all the while pointing me to the Truth. "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching."  

I hung up the phone that day with an attitude adjustment and a renewed hope in my heart.  I can take a lesson from my new friend and look for ways to build others up in their faith as I go through my life. Wherever I go, there is always someone who is struggling and in need of some fine-tuning of their focus.

To help guard against the natural tendency to turn away from God, I must always be ready to encourage my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Put off Old Self

She lost a lot of weight and looked like a whole new person.  With a change in dietary habits and a new active lifestyle, this woman had transformed her body.  One day she had occasion to wear a business suit so she chose her favorite tweed ensemble.  Unfortunately, with her new body, her old clothes no longer fit and she resembled a little girl trying on her mother's clothing.

Just as a new wardrobe is necessary after a large weight loss, it is equally as absurd for me as a new creation in Christ to continually go back to my old way of thinking, doing and reacting.  In order to keep from being corrupted by sin as I fall back into my natural ways, I will need to purposefully put off my old self.

The Apostle Paul explains it this way in Ephesians 4:22.  He says, "You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."

I can't continue to live for Christ while still letting my sin nature dominate.  Instead, I must set aside the things my selfish nature desires and let God transform my mind to think more like Him.  This new creation God has formed will desire only the things of God; if only I will place it on like a new wardrobe.

To help guard against the natural tendency to turn away from God I must purposefully put off my old self and step into the new me who is in Christ.

Hold Firmly to New

I had just finished my run and held our Labrador's leash loosely in my hand.  Standing on the front porch of our home, relishing the feeling of accomplishment as I let me heart rate return to normal, the peace of the moment was suddenly broken by severe pain in my right hand.  The loop at the end of the leash had caught on my ring finger, bending it into an unnatural position as man's best friend darted in pursuit of a squirrel.    "You dumb dog!"  I yelled as I retrieved the exuberant canine from his position at the bottom of the tree on which the wily rodent had just retreated.

As I sat in the hospital later that morning waiting for an x-ray of my dislocated finger, I regretted the fact that I had not held firmly to the leash.  If I'd kept a better grip on the strap, I wouldn't be in this predicament.

Satan is kind of like our dog: He is constantly trying to pull me off my feet with surprise ambushes, clever attacks and cunning traps.  In order to stand firm in my faith, I must have a strong grip on all the lessons God has taught me.  

I will go through times when I just don't feel the presence of the Lord.  It is especially important during these desert periods to remind myself of the Truth, re-positioning my grasp of the certainties I know to be true so I won't fall away.

To help guard against the natural tendency to turn away from God, I must purposefully keep a strong grip on the teachings of Christ.



In this world it is easy to get distracted from God, feel discouraged to the point of despair and turn away from God.  In order to stay close to my Lord, it is important for me to encourage others in their walk, put off my old ways and hold firmly to the new self that is found in Christ.  It is then that I will be actively guarding against the disbelief that comes so naturally.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can stay focused on the One I love as He leads me.

When do I get distracted from God by all the cares of this world?

How am I most vulnerable to falling away from God?      


No comments:

Post a Comment