The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Right Living

"Remind the people to be subject
to rulers and authorities,
to be obedient,
to be ready to do whatever is good,
to slander no one,
to be peaceable and considerate,
and always to be gentle toward everyone."
Titus 3:1-2



The list of rules was incredibly long.  I didn't know if I'd be able to handle the pressure of trying to live up to such high standards.   What if I faltered and drew shame upon the organization?  Maybe the pressure would prove to be too much for me.  I might be better off not joining.  

Pledging allegiance to a group that holds high ethical standards for its members can be intimidating.  The pressure to conform can be high.  Thankfully, this is not the kind of group I joined when I became a follower of Christ.  

As a child of God through faith in Jesus, I am held to a high standard of holy living. (1 Peter 1:16)  This expectation, however, is not through any power of my own.  Instead, the ability to live the way God calls me to live comes from the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit.  Because of God's mercy shown through His kindness and love, I can live in a way that honors Him.

Subject

Presidential elections are always an exciting time in this country.  Hope is palpable as new candidates emerge spreading their message of change and optimism.  Voters weary of hearing from the current administration whose views differ drastically with their own hunger for new leaders who will fall in line more closely with their beliefs.  There is no doubt that it is difficult to submit to a leader with whose views I don't agree.

From the time I was born, I have been faced with the cold hard fact that there is always someone who has authority over me.  I found out I had to answer to my parents when I felt the cold hard sting on my behind when I talked back to my mother, or the humiliation of enduring lunch with my teachers in the middle of the lunch room as a result of my disobedience.  As I grew older, I discovered my need to submit to the law of the land when a police officer pulled me over for speeding, and the seriousness of not keeping my grades up in college when the administrators threatened to flunk me out.  Yes, there is always someone to whom I must be subject.

I honor God when I willingly submit myself to those He has placed in a position of authority over me, even if I don't agree with their philosophy or dislike their style of leadership.

Ready

I am sarcastic by nature and am almost always ready with a wry comment.  While this may bring a laugh or two from those within earshot, it is not the kind of readiness God desires from me.

Instead, He instructs me to be prepared at all times to do good, even if it's uncomfortable or means swallowing my pride.  It may be easy for me to help a sweet old woman unload groceries out of her car, especially when she showers me with thanks and later sends over a plate of homemade cookies.  

It's another story, however, to show kindness to the neighbor whose had it out for me since the day we met.  I can justify my desire to slander his name, thinking to myself that he deserves it for his own nasty behavior toward me.  My actions, however, must stand alone.  If I am to reflect well on the Lord, I must "Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice." (Ephesians 4:31)

I honor God when I am kind to everyone, setting my pride aside and keeping my heart always open to doing good.

Peaceable

He was the most qualified for the job.  His experience and connections made him perfectly suited to take on the leadership position.  Someone else desired to do the job, however, so my friend graciously stepped aside in order to keep the peace.  He took one for the team, so to speak.  

It takes humility to think of the best interest of others before my own concerns.  Even more humbling is the task of living at peace with one another.  I am much more concerned with protecting my own rights and defending my honor than trying to keep the peace.  

As a follower of Christ, however, I am called to do what is right in the eyes of those around me and to do whatever I can to live in harmony with others. (Romans 12:18)  This means I will sometimes need to seek forgiveness even if I've been hurt deeply.  Other times it means I'll have to let God protect me and let go of my desire to preserve my reputation.  Every once in awhile it will mean I must invite my enemy within my midst, showering him with kindness.

I honor God when I do all I can to live at peace with those around me.



I don't have the ability to live in a way that is right in the eyes of God.  With the power that comes through faith in Christ, however, I am able to honor Him with my life.  I am capable of subjecting myself to authority, keeping in a state of readiness to do good, and to live peaceably with a variety of personalities.  God's mercy as shown to me through the sacrifice of Christ on the cross, overflows into my own life, empowering me to do what is right.



As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can live in the way God has called me to live in a society that could care less about their Creator.

How do I keep ready to complain but forget to do good?

When am I most susceptible to getting into an argument with someone instead of placing a higher value on peace?    

No comments:

Post a Comment