The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Changed Identity

"I appeal to you for my son Onesimus,
who became my son while I was in chains.
Formerly he was useless to you,
but now he has become useful both to you and to me.
. . .Perhaps the reason he was separated from you
for a little while was that you might have him back forever--
no longer as a slave,
but better than a slave,
as a dear brother.
He is very dear to me 
but even dearer to you,
both as a fellow man and as a brother in the Lord."
Philemon 10-11, 15-16



While my husband served in the U.S. Army, I was busy raising and homeschooling four daughters.  Starting from the time when these precious girls were between the ages of 8 and 10 until my husband retired from active duty service 8 years later, he spent a lot of time deployed to foreign countries or traveling around the world training troops.  During these separations, I had to become the father as well as the mother, taking on my husband's role during his absence.  Once he returned, though, I had to revert back to my previous job as wife and mom.

As a follower of Christ, my relationship with Him similarly changes my identity.  Just as Onesimus used to be known as a runaway slave but was transformed into a new identity once he came into relationship with Christ, the love of Jesus also changes who I am.  Unlike my experience as a military wife, however, this transformation is an eternal one.

Servant to Brother

One of my favorite movies from days gone by is Shirley Temple's The Little Princess.  In this heartbreaking story, the child prodigy played a well-to-do daughter of an Army captain who was placed in an exclusive private school for girls while her father went off to fight in the Boer War in Africa.  While there, she lived quite happily until her father went missing-in-action at which point her station in life suddenly changed from one of privilege to that of a servant who must earn her keep.

When I entered into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, my standing in God's kingdom underwent a similar change.  Instead of being considered an enemy of God who was a slave to sin and death (Colossians 1:21,Romans 6:17), the blood of Jesus transformed me into a child of God and a friend who intimately knows my Savior's business.  (Galatians 3:26, 1 John 3:1, John 15:15)  

The love of Jesus changes my identity from one of servant to that of a family member and friend.

Useless to Useful

I have a friend who only likes to grow things that can be used for sustenance;  If it can't be eaten, he's not interested.  Thankfully, God does not disregard me based upon my natural, hopeless state.  If I had to prove my usefulness before I could enter into His kingdom, I would be doomed to eternal death.

Based on Christ's sacrificial death on the cross, my sinful nature is transformed to one of righteousness.  In this way, I turn from having nothing of eternal worth to offer in and of myself to holding the very power of God within my fragile form.  (2 Corinthians 4:6-7)

Consequently, I can love those who hate me, forgive those who hurt me, and help those who are unable to help themselves.  I have been transformed from a withering branch into a vine that can bear much fruit.  (John 15:5-6)

The love of Jesus changes my identity from one of uselessness to one of eternal purpose. (2 Timothy 1:9)

Separated to Eternally Bound

There is a mother in our community who is suffering.  Nearly nine months ago, her only daughter was abducted from her home.  Police and federal investigators found few leads and there's no sign of her whereabouts.

The heartache this poor woman is feeling must be similar to the pain our Father experiences at the estrangement of His precious children from His presence due to sin.  Once I invite Jesus into my life as my Lord and Savior, however, this separation is transformed into an everlasting bond that cannot be broken. (Romans 8:38-39)

This new-found peace with God also makes harmony with others possible and gives me the designation of ambassador for Christ.  (Romans 5:1,Romans 12:18,2 Corinthians 5:18-10)  Wherever I go I am taking the truth of the Gospel with me, having the opportunity to give the hope of Christ to a dying world.

The love of Jesus changes my identity from one of separation from God and strife with others to reconciliation with Him and His people.


Just like Onesimus was a runaway servant, I was similarly identified as a slave to sin who was useless to God's kingdom and hopelessly estranged from my Father.  Thanks to the astounding love of God shown through the selfless sacrifice of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, I am now a new creation.  Part of this new identity is one of child of God who is able to be used for His Kingdom work and is reconciled to Himself.  The love of Jesus has changed everything!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep focused on my new identity and leave the old one behind.

How do I forget the power that I have in Christ to be of use to His kingdom?

When do I enslave myself to sin, forgetting that I have been offered freedom from the bonds that shackle me?      

No comments:

Post a Comment