The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Spiritual Fitness

"Do not waste time arguing over godless ideas
and old wives' tales.
Instead,
train yourself to be godly.
'Physical training is good,
but training for godliness is much better,
promising benefits in this life
and in the life to come.'"
1 Timothy 4:7-8 NLT



The parking lot at the local gym was full before the sun even came up.  It's clear that people, even in the South, are getting the message that exercise is important and how it plays a vital role in improving one's overall health.  

The benefits of incorporating a regular fitness program into my life are clear: a decrease in cardiovascular disease, lower blood pressure, decreased chance of developing Diabetes, higher energy levels and greater resistance to sickness.  It's good to see that people are taking their health seriously and making a commitment to exercise regularly.

As important as physical fitness is to my health, there is another kind of fitness to which I should pay even more attention.  The benefits of spiritual fitness are not just for this world, but for all of eternity.  Consequently, I should take my training in godliness seriously.

Pursue

Jacob would do anything to win her hand in marriage.  Her father, Laban, was the only thing standing in the way of being able to share their life with each other.  He required for Jacob to work seven years before he could take Rachel as his wife.  Unfortunately for the young lovers, Laban was not an honest man.  At the end of the agreed upon time, he gave the older daughter, Leah, instead of Rachel.  To add insult to injury, the patriarch then required Jacob to work an additional seven years to earn his love's keep. (Genesis 29)

There was no doubt that Jacob was in love with the gorgeous Rachel.  In fact, I would go so far as to say he would do anything, and actually did jump through many hoops, to earn the right to call her 'wife.'   If I were to take his same spirit of zeal Jacob possessed for his beautiful bride and apply that to the things of God, I would have the right approach.

Paul encouraged Timothy to, "Pursue righteousness and a godly life, along with faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness."  (1 Timothy 6:11)  In order to chase down these things of God, I must put my all into the effort.  It's not that God is playing a game of hide-and-go-seek with me, but that I must desire His ways so much that I'm willing to make any sacrifice in order to gain them.

This means letting go of my ways and running full-speed-ahead toward Jesus, crashing through the brambles, tripping and falling on the rough spots but then getting up again and continuing my pursuit.  These rough spots come in all shapes and sizes, sometimes as coming in contact  with hurtful people, in suffering pain or loss, or in crucifying certain sins on the cross with Christ.  Whatever the struggles, the lessons learned are worth the training endured.  

Part of training in godliness is to struggle to grasp the lessons God is putting in my life.

Fight

The children went round and round on the merry-go-round, riding the horses as they rose up and down on the platform.  The courageous older kids gripped the pole and reached with all their might, trying to grasp the golden ring hanging in the center of the ride that would win them a prize.

This reminds me of the way I am called to fight the good fight of faith.  (1 Timothy 6:12)  I can either be content to ride out my time here on earth, enjoying the scenery and taking in all the sights and sounds, or I can reach far, straining to grasp hold of the crown that will last forever.  (1 Corinthians 9:25-27)

This takes purposeful living, determination to gain understanding of how I am called to live and the discipline to carry those teachings out.  In short, I am to make every moment count for Christ, constantly striving toward the finish line that is the end of this life and the beginning of the eternal life Jesus has secured for me.  

Part of training in godliness is to make every effort to grasp hold of the crown that comes from living wholeheartedly for Christ.

Obey

Jesus came not to serve as an earthly king, as so many anticipated.  Instead, He came to "bear witness to the truth."  (John 18:37)  He is the self-proclaimed way, truth and life.  He said that no one could come to the heavenly Father, except through Him. (John 14:6)  Consequently, if I am to commit to following Jesus in this life, I must learn to obey His commands as He transforms me into His likeness.

Obedience is a requirement, not a suggestion.  It's kind of like if I proclaim to be a pianist but I only look at the instrument, reading books about it and learning all I can but never actually put the knowledge into practice.  If my fingers never touch the ivories, I can't really call myself a pianist, can I?

Following Christ means desiring to know Him, yes, but also to commit to doing things His way.  This takes a constant process of crucifying my sinful ways on the cross, letting go of my nature so that more of Jesus can shine through in my life.

Part of training in godliness is to learn to put the teachings of Christ into practice in my life.


Physical fitness training takes a commitment and discipline but it's benefits are well-documented.  Likewise, spiritual fitness training takes a zealous pursuit of the things of God, a desire to give my all in taking hold of the eternal life promised to me, and a conscious effort put forth to obey the teachings of Christ.  The pay off on this kind of training will be seen in this life, but I will also take it with me to my eternal destination.  It seems to me, then, this is the kind of training of which I should concentrate!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can value the rigors of training in God's boot camp.

How do I stroll along instead of running at top speed toward the finish line?

When am I lacking in enthusiasm in fighting the good fight?     


No comments:

Post a Comment