The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

The Choice

"'Come now, let us settle the matter,'
says the LORD.
'Though your sins are like scarlet,
they shall be as white as snow;
though they are red as crimson,
they shall be like wool.
If you are willing and obedient,
you will eat the good things of the land;
but if you resist and rebel,
you will be devoured by the sword.'
For the mouth of the LORD has spoken."
Isaiah 1:18-20 



I look at the decisions being made by the powers that be in this country and I come to the conclusion that discipline is coming.  As a nation, we have sunk so low, offended God in so many ways, turned from Him and toward iniquity so severely that I know He cannot keep His hand of protection upon us.  But is it the choices being made by the lost that offends Him most, or is the Body of Christ itself an affront to God?

Jesus begs a decision.  I can't sit on the fence when it comes to Him; I'm either for Him or against Him, in His corner or fighting against Him, living by the Spirit under grace or operating according to the flesh under law (Matthew 12:30, Galatians 5:16, Romans 7:5-6).  I must not do as the people of Judah did, going through the motions of religion and worship, identifying myself as a Christian yet living like I'm still a slave to sin, as if Jesus didn't die to free me from the very thing that sent Him to the cross (Romans 6:18, Hebrews 10:29) .

While salvation is mine through faith in Christ, there is still an issue of the heart I must face within that relationship.  Otherwise, I'm rebelling against God and can expect discipline as my Shepherd guides me back to His fold.  This kind of rebellion within the church may be the greater problem Americans face this day.

Willing.  His greed and carnal desires had him trapped.  He wanted the luscious fruit, yet he wanted freedom, too.  Little did he know, he couldn't have both.  The monkey picked up the scent of the bait and eagerly reached into the box in order to grab the treat, but soon he found himself stuck.  The little guy wasn't able to free his hand no matter how hard he tried.  He had a sense that letting go of the tempting food would free his hand from the trap, but he couldn't bring himself to do without such sensual pleasures.  His life just wouldn't be the same without it, or so he thought.  His stubbornness led to his demise.

Oh how tempting is the flesh!  As a human presented with the Gospel of Christ, I eagerly desire to have the assurance of eternal life, the peace of mind that comes from knowing my sins are covered and my fate is sure.  Yet the sensual desires of my natural self rules me.  I am as unwilling as that doomed monkey to let go of that which brings fleshly satisfaction and pleasure, stubbornly holding on to the very thing that condemns me.  I can't live for Christ and for self; I must choose one or the other.

To live in Christ is to be willing to die to self (Galatians 2:20, Ephesians 4:22-24, Luke 9:23).

Obedient.  The Bible is often seen as an instruction manual of sorts, a guide on how to live a righteous life.  Instead of treating God's Word as a textbook for me to follow by the letter, it is vital that I understand it's transformational power, realizing that God has a mission and the holy Scriptures will accomplish all He sets out for them to achieve; supernaturally and powerfully (Isaiah 55:10-11, Hebrews 4:12).

Once I comprehend my role as a disciple of Christ, it is my passion for Him that will lead me to do as He commands, to submit to His wishes (John 14:15-16).  Instead of simply taking in His words as good advice, I will have a hunger to see them be fulfilled in my life.  As I surrender to God's renovation process, I will find a desire welling up within me to put the things I learn into practice (Romans 12:2Philippians 2:13, Colossians 3:10).  And I will also discover the grace necessary to empower me to do as He says as I rest in the work He has already accomplished on the cross on my behalf.

True transformation takes place when my heart is devoted to Jesus, as evidenced by my desire to obey His commands.

High Cost.  They didn't think it through.  Instead, the went with their gut, blindly and foolishly hoping that their meager paychecks would be enough to cover the cost of living in the house of their dreams.  Unfortunately, they discovered they were often short and had to dip into their retirement account in order to make up the difference.  If only this unfortunate couple had considered the high cost of living outside their means, then they wouldn't be in such a difficult situation.

In the same way that there is a cost of living that must be taken into account before buying a house, there is also a high price to pay in terms of what I will surrender when giving my life to Jesus (Luke 14:25-33).  Instead of going into the relationship without full knowledge of what I will give up, only focusing on what I will receive, I may soon find myself disillusioned.  Where's this abundant life I was promised?  How come troubles keep coming my way?  I thought life would be easier once I gave myself to Christ.  Instead, it only seems to get harder, and to think of all I gave up for Jesus. . . 

There is a high cost to following Jesus and I should come into the relationship with my eyes wide open, otherwise I will run out of resolve and won't be able to stand firm until the end when I'll receive my reward (1 Corinthians 15:58Philippians 3:14).


Perhaps one of the main problems in this country lies not in the ungodly leadership decisions but within the hearts of God's people.  As one who professes Christ as Lord and Savior, it is mandatory that I be willing to surrender my will and repent of my sins, to devote myself to Jesus so I'll want to do as He says, and to accept the high cost that comes from living in Him.  The choice is mine; either I'm for Him or against Him.  A life lived in Him, however, is never a life wasted. . . and the benefits are out of this world!


As I begin this day it is my desire that I can fully commit myself to Christ, letting go of every desire that hampers my journey.

When do I want it all; salvation and to live my way?

How am I offending God with my stubbornness?         

  

No comments:

Post a Comment