The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, July 27, 2015

Worthless Paths

"'Ah, stubborn children,' declares the LORD,
'who carry out a plan, but not mine,
and who make an alliance,
but not of my Spirit,
that they may add sin to sin;
who set out to go down to Egypt,
without asking for my direction,
to take refuge in the protection of Pharaoh
and to seek shelter in the shadow of Egypt!
Therefore shall the protection of Pharaoh turn to your shame,
and the shelter in the shadow of Egypt to your humiliation.
For though his officials are at Zoan
and his envoys reach Hanes,
everyone comes to shame
through a people that cannot profit them,
that brings neither help nor profit,
but shame and disgrace.'"
Isaiah 30:1-5 ESV



I panic.  Things are looking bad and I've got to do something before it gets worse.  I must act in order to slow the progression of pain and suffering.  Problem is, all I do is worthless and leads to disappointment and humiliation at the realization of how foolish I've been.  How did I get here, unsettled, confused, and bewildered at my predicament?  

It's all my doing.

Contrary Plans.  I do what makes sense to me.  I act according to what comes naturally, going the way that most pleases me and is within my realm of comfort.  I stay away from anything that meddles with my desires or stretches me outside of my normal sphere of ease and well-being.

Trouble is, every solution I'm drawn to is contrary to God's best for me.  He has a plan that goes in the opposite direction as mine (Galatians 5:16-18).  When I'm in charge of deciding what is best for me, I'll choose wrong every time.  If I instead let God's indwelling Spirit lead me as I surrender all to Him through faith in Jesus Christ, I'll find the game plan changing drastically.  While I tend to seek solutions that diminish suffering and choose the path of least resistance, God may utilize the difficult as tools to shape my character into the form of His Sons' (Romans 8:28-29).  While I look for self-serving and self-preserving options, God has a plan that glorifies His own name (Jeremiah 9:23-24, Isaiah 42:8).  While I lean toward the well-worn, smooth and crowded way, God's is less-traveled and far more difficult (Matthew 7:13-14).

My plans are contrary to God's plans so I must always seek His path upon which to travel.

Undirected Alliances.  I look for someone who can help me.  I need to know how to proceed, how to navigate through these uncharted waters.  I have no idea what to do, how to go forward, which direction to take.  Therefore, I go to the experts in the field, those who've gained experience in doing what I've never done, who are confidently extolling the virtues of their expertise.  I want the best on my side in order to give me the best possible outcome.

Trouble is, every source of help I'm drawn to is far inferior to what God has in mind.  As a follower of Jesus Christ, a grafted-in branch who has the benefit of deep roots supplying endless grace and untold wisdom, I can let His Spirit guide me to those who will help me in the way He has in mind (Romans 11:17).  When I instead lean on my own understanding, gravitating toward the wrong people who have the wrong goals and intentions, I've missed out on the blessing of letting God choose for me.  Since I have the advantage of a Helper who can point me to those who give godly advice and have kingdom direction, I would be wise to seek such guidance.

My alliances are with those who can't help in the same way the Spirit-directed partnerships can.

Mislaid Trust.   I put my eggs in the wrong basket, trusting in the kind of protection that seems wise but is far from God's best for me.  It seems good and smart to invest in insurance coverage, to go to the powerful who have clout enough to make a difference, or to place my trust in those who have connections that can help give me a leg up.  I check the expert's opinions and follow their outline to the letter.  I'm confident I've given myself the best possible chance.

Trouble is, I've failed to consult God regarding His master plan for my life (Jeremiah 29:11).  If He holds the blueprint for the ongoing construction project that is taking place within my heart, I may hold up progress if I act outside of His intentions and follow a different, contrary set of plans (Philippians 1:6).  I may even undo some of the work that He has done, setting back my progress as I selfishly seek my own ways.  If I want to see godly growth, I must submit to His plan for me, cooperating with what He has in mind for my life (Romans 12:2).  

My trust is mislaid when I put my faith in that which is outside of God's will, failing to consult God for His sovereign plan for my life.


Decisions made in a state of panic or desperation are not usually good ones.  When I feel burdened by suffering and difficulty, I look for a way out.  Unfortunately, I don't always consult God's indwelling Spirit, an advantage I've gained by trusting in Jesus as my Lord and Savior (John 14:26).  When I ignore this wonderful benefit, I tend to choose plans that are contrary to His, make ungodly alliances, and place my trust in the wrong places.  In these ways, all I do is pointless and leads to disappointment and worry.  What a worthless path to take!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can stay connected to Jesus and sensitive to His Spirit's leading.

When do I go off on my own, choosing my own path?

How do I lean on those who don't know God?        


No comments:

Post a Comment