The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, July 24, 2015

Wonderful Teacher

"Dill is not threshed with a threshing sledge,
nor is a cart wheel rolled over cumin,
but dill is beaten out with a stick,
and cumin with a rod.
Does one crush grain for bread?
No, he does not thresh it forever;
when he drives his cart wheel over it with his horses,
he does not crush it.
This also comes from he LORD of hosts;
he is wonderful in counsel
and excellent in wisdom."
Isaiah 28:27-29



God is powerful enough to speak all creation into existence yet tender enough to care even for the tiny sparrow.  God is mighty enough to part the waters of a sea yet compassionate enough to comfort the broken heart.  God is strong enough to hold the world in His hands yet gentle enough not to crush it.  God is powerful yet sensitive, a study in contrasts.  He is not a ruthless God who deals evenhandedly with His image-bearers but understands us so intimately that He knows precisely what each needs.

Right Intensity.  I tend to go in with both barrels blazing.  When I see another wronged, I rise up in defense, ready to protect and set things right.  Unfortunately, I usually end up causing more problems then delivering healing or instituting change.

God, however, knows when to bring out the big guns, when to hit me upside the head as a wake-up-call and when a more gentle approach is needed.  He understands exactly which method will bring about the desired response and acts accordingly.  I never need worry that God will bruise the tender shoot of trust, or destroy the reluctant glimmer of hope, or crush the feeble faith.  I can trust Him to know that introducing pain and suffering when I'm at my lowest won't destroy me but bring about good, or that the trial that comes after taking a timid step of faith won't discourage but empower, or that a quiet word of rebuke will bring about a more powerful change of heart than a harsh reprimand.

I can trust God to always use the right intensity when dealing with His children.

Right Touch.  It didn't matter who he was speaking to, he always used the same gruff tone of voice.  His approach was consistently in-your-face because he was never one to mince words or play games.  He told it like it was and never considered how his actions or words would be received nor did the fallout matter to him.  He said what needed to be said and let the chips fall where they may.  He figured other's reactions to his behavior was not his problem.

It's not surprising to learn that this insensitive man didn't have a good relationship with his daughters and found himself the recipient of divorce papers from his wife.  It's hard to live with someone so self-centered and narcissistic.  As powerful as God is, however, He is mindful of the temperament of His sheep, knowing when a gentle touch is needed and when a more firm one will bring about beautiful fruit.  Sometimes the most crusty exterior only exists to protect a tender heart and requires just the right amount of tension in order to bring about transformation.  Other times the one who seems weak and vulnerable in truth possesses a core of steel and can handle a bit of pressure.

I can trust God to always handle His children with the right touch.

Right Time.  I wonder how long the drought will go on.  I long for rain, for life-giving showers to fall from heavily-laden clouds, but He holds it off, only giving the lightest of mists that doesn't even wet the ground.  My appetite is whetted yet He waits.

Waiting for the rain to fall this summer in the usually-wet Pacific Northwest has been an exercise in patience.  It kind of reminds me of God's perfect timing in handling the affairs of His children.  He know how long to hold off in giving relief, what amount of time enduring suffering will grow faith and when it only serves to bring despair.  He holds the blueprint in His hands and acts according to what is best for each.  Like a beautiful dance, sometimes the heart grows more appreciative as I wait for the climax of the performance.  As the expectation builds, I look forward to seeing how God will bring about His best for me, like I wait with baited breathe for the spectacular lift I know is coming at the end of the dance.

I can trust God to always act in just the right time for exactly the perfect duration.


I know something of God's omnipotent, sovereign character, but I must also realize His sensitivity and compassion.  He doesn't act like a ruthless dictator, showing His might without regard to the heart of His people.  No, He is sensitive enough to use the right intensity with the right touch for the right time.  The Lord is a God who can be trusted because He is a wonderful teacher.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God with the timing.

When do I fear His touch, assuming He will crush me?

How am I unwilling to fully place myself in His loving hands?      


No comments:

Post a Comment