The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Not So Tough

"How you are fallen from heaven,
O Day Star, son of Dawn!
How you are cut down to the ground,
you who laid the nations low!
. . .Those who see you will stare at you
and ponder over you:
'Is this the man who made the earth tremble,
who shook kingdoms,
who made the world like a desert
and overthrew its cities,
who did not let his prisoners go home?'"
Isaiah 14:12, 16-17 ESV



It's easy to fear Satan, once the angel Lucifer, the light bearer who lusted after God Almighty's position and power, desiring it for himself.  Consequently, he was cast down to earth along with all his angels (Revelation 12:7-9, Ezekiel 28:11-19).  Now he is "the deceiver of the whole world" whose mission is to steal my hope, kill my faith, and destroy my love for Jesus (Revelation 12:9, John 10:10a).  

It is easy to fear such a formidable enemy.  When it comes right down to it, though, he's not so tough, not in the scheme of things, in the face of eternity and compared to the rule of a mighty God.  Here are some things to keep in mind so I won't lose heart in the midst of Satan's attacks.

Perspective.  As one who has been created, his power is limited.  His scope is also narrow as he is unable to be everywhere at once.  And the most important limiting factor to consider is that his dominion is restrictive as he still is under God's authority.  In other words, his schemes against followers of Christ must go through our Father's hands (Job 1:12).

Since all the deceptive tactics he tries on me have been approved by God, I can trust that the Lord will use it for my good, to grow my faith, hone my character, and purify my heart (Romans 8:28, Genesis 50:20).  Without opposition, my faith might fizzle out, my character would stagnate, and my heart could develop impurities that cloud my perception.  With an enemy to stand against me, however, I either draw closer to Jesus for strength and protection, or I completely fall away.  

When I keep Satan in his proper perspective, remembering God's sovereign power over him, I can stand strong in the midst of attack and realize the good that God brings through the devil's evil intentions.

Doomed.  His final destination is set in stone.  Even though he struts around the earth, conducting his business as if he has all dominion and power, his fate is the worst anyone could imagine.  The punishment for his rebellion, his prideful arrogance, is to be cast into "the fiery lake of burning sulfur" (Revelation 20:10).  As if this weren't enough, he is also doomed to suffer continual, eternal torment.

Meanwhile, my fate as a devoted follower of Christ by faith offered through the kindness of God is an eternity spent in my Father's house as a co-heir with Christ (John 14:2, Romans 8:17).  I am well loved and highly treasured by the One who made me.  Therefore, I have all the hope in the world.  In light of such bounty, it is clear that I am the victor and Satan is the loser in this equation.  Why fear such a creature destined for God's worst?

When I remember Satan's future, it helps me stand firm in my place as a well-loved child that is secured by Christ's victory on my behalf (Romans 8:37).

Desperate.  "Desperate times call for desperate measures."   I remember my mom uttering this phrase from time to time during my childhood.  She was probably facing some difficult situation where she felt forced to turn to extreme solutions that may never be considered in normal circumstances.  When times get hard, we do what we have to do to survive.

Satan is no different.  He knows his fate even though he may have deceived even himself of his power, believing he can somehow defeat God.  When I stand firm against him, however, submitting myself to God, he'll retreat in the face of such overwhelming odds (James 4:7).  Still, he is desperate to win and will go to great lengths to reach his goal of world domination.  Even so, I must remember that I've been delivered and Jesus has already conquered Satan (Colossians 1:13, Hebrews 2:14-15).  He only has as much power as I give him.

When I realize Satan has been defeated, I'll understand his desperation to bring me down.


My enemy is formidable and is constantly on the lookout for ways to steal, kill and destroy, devouring my faith (1 Peter 5:8).  If I only focus on his evil, he will seem to grow in power.  But if I keep him in perspective, remember his fate, and realize his desperation, he'll shrink in status.  And when he does, in the light of God's overwhelming power and sovereignty, I'll realize Satan is not so tough.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep my eyes fixed on Jesus.

When do I feel helpless against the attacks of the evil one?

How am I rendered helpless by my fear?  


No comments:

Post a Comment