The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Living in a Land of Sorrow

"What sorrow for those who say
that evil is good and good is evil,
that dark is light and light is dark, 
that bitter is sweet and sweet is bitter.
What sorrow for those who are wise in their own eyes
and think themselves so clever."
Isaiah 5:20-21 NLT



How am I expected to live in a place that has it so wrong?  Where the lost proudly boast of their superior intelligence, attitude and progressive ways, mocking the ways of God?  Clearly the end is near.  But it's not our country we must fight to preserve.  Instead, it's the souls who are doomed to pay for how they offend and oppose God.  People need to hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ now more than ever!

So how do we engage others?  The answer lies in God's holy Word (2 Timothy 2:23-26).

Kind.  The arguments are so absurd.  The attitudes aggravate and get under my skin.  It's hard to get a word in edgewise and they don't seem to want to listen. It can be hard to engage the lost who are so convinced that their way is the right way.  Still, its not really their fault.  How can I say this?  Doesn't everyone choose which belief they trust in, what lifestyle they live, what philosophy they follow?  Yes, but I must never forget the enemy of the Body of Christ that prowls around looking for someone to devour (1 Peter 5:8).  Many are held captive by his evil and deceptive schemes and are thus blinded from the truth, influenced by his evil.  Therefore, I must have compassion on them, trusting that God will change their hearts so they can escape from Satan's trap (2 Timothy 2:26).

Realizing the plight of the lost, then, I can take on the heart of God who lovingly pursues them, wanting none to perish but generously desiring all to be included in His eternal kingdom by repentance and faith (2 Peter 3:9).  Instead of writing off even the most hard-core of opponents, it is my place to show kindness and concern for their welfare, reaching out in friendship as I share my life with them.  In this way, God can work through me to impact their heart in ways I could never fathom.

The servant of God is called to be kind to everyone, especially those who are cruel and hard -hearted.

Patient.  Its easy to get riled up.  I remember as a young woman being teased by a fellow gym member as I worked out.  He could see how I'd get worked up about certain topics so he made sport of pushing my buttons then sitting back and watching the show.  He once commented that I wouldn't do well in debate because one must keep a cool head in order to rationally argue their point.  I agreed that this would not be a good pursuit for me.

Now that I follow Jesus, however, I am called to engage others, not in order to argue my point, but to help the lost examine their beliefs.  When I stay calm, remembering that it doesn't rely on me but on the Holy Spirit who is equipping and empowering me, I can relax and stay focused on the direction He leads.  As I do, I'll be able to ask questions to lead the lost along a path that exposes their depravity, brokenness and need for a Savior.  Then it will be time to share the Good News of Jesus Christ.  Until then, I must wait on God to work on their heart.  If I'm gearing up for a fight, though, I'll only succeed in pushing people away.

The servant of God is called to be patient, willing to wait on God to change the heart of the lost.

Gently Instruct.  We live in an age of tolerance, where acceptance of every belief is the unwritten law of the land, and to look the other way is the expected response.  This mindset appeals to my natural self since I don't like to rock the boat or make anyone feel bad about what they believe or the way they live.  But is it God's intention that I simply live side-by-side with those who are traveling down the path that leads to destruction without ever engaging them in conversation about their beliefs?  Not that I can see.

Paul instructs me to "gently instruct those who oppose the truth" in the hope that God will do a mighty work on their hearts, turning them around so they accept His way and reject their own foolish and destructive ways (2 Timothy 2:25).  This means gradually introducing Biblical truths not with apology or shame, but with the confidence that comes from knowing it will shed light into the darkness.  As God works through His own Word, accomplishing what He desires, strongholds of evil will fall and God's gracious gift of salvation will be understood (Isaiah 55:11).  And when this happens, fruit will come forth (Colossians 1:6).

The servant of God is called to gently instruct those who oppose the truth, trusting that God is powerful enough to change their hearts.


It's easy to get caught up in the wrong mindset, worrying more about the state of our country than the welfare of each human soul.  As I see society sinking down into the depths of depravity, I am called to be kind to even the most callous, to patiently pursue those who are lost, and to gently instruct those who oppose the truth either by word or deed.  In these ways, I am proving my faith in a God who is able to soften even the most hardened of hearts, granting repentance to many who seemed beyond hope.  This is how a servant of God is to live in the land of sorrow.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can stay true to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

How am I tempted to bend the truth in order to avoid offending others?

Have I considered how my fear of man offends God and jeopardizes the lost?

No comments:

Post a Comment