The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Right Equipment

"Then the eyes of those who see will no longer be closed,
and the ears of those who hear will listen."
Isaiah 32:3



My husband and I recently enjoyed a movie as a birthday treat and we decided to choose the 3D version of a sequel we both wanted to see.  Upon purchase of the tickets we were each handed a pair of funky glasses needed in order to experience the desired illusion of depth while viewing the film.  During the action, I tried taking off the glasses and was amazed at the contrast.  Without the glasses, the images on the screen appeared blurry and like I had double-vision.  In fact, it was hard to make out what was happening; not a pleasant experience!  As soon as I slipped the glasses back on my face, however, I was returned to the three-dimensional world and the images came to life before my eyes.

This is similar in a way to God's truths.  Without the "special tool" of God's Spirit that comes when I place my life in the hands of Jesus Christ in repentance and faith, I won't have discernment and understanding and just won't get it.  His Word will seem a bit blurry and hard to figure out.  The right equipment makes all the difference.

Heroes/Fools.  It's hard to understand why so many would revere someone who behaves so stupidly.  The beliefs of many leaders are out in left field, so far away from rational and morally acceptable thought and behavior that it boggles the mind that they are called "progressive thinkers" or followed as if they are the next great hope.  Or there are organizations that do vile things under the guise of noble or pure intentions and my stomach turns at the thought of their mission.  Or decisions are made that fundamentally change the foundation of our society and the majority blindly applaud without realizing they're praising the demise of the underpinning of a country.

With the discernment that is given to me when I trust in Jesus as my Lord and Savior, I'll see through the facade and be able to see the fruit exhibited in order realize the foolishness of the ungodly's actions (Isaiah 32:5).  His Spirit within me will grieve when seeing all who applaud the unprincipled who positions himself strategically in order to further his crooked agenda.  I'll mourn as the multitudes celebrate in the streets at the unthinkable.

Jesus Christ provides the right equipment to be able discern the true hero from the fool that is portrayed heroically.

True/False Teachers.  The teachings are off-base, missing the point of Jesus' true identity and His mission in coming to earth.  Instead of sticking to the truth of God's Word, these popular teachers proclaim a different message that appeals to mankind's sin nature, to the desires and passions that come naturally to the flesh.  They say what people want to hear (2 Timothy 4:3).  It's always heartening and reassuring to be told I can get exactly what I want and that my wants and hopes are at the center of God's attention.

With the discernment that is given to me when I trust in Jesus as my Lord and Savior, I'll be able to tell when a teacher is not imparting godly wisdom and knowledge but is appealing to my sin nature, depriving me of the truth I need to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus (Isaiah 32:6, 2 Peter 3:18) .  Instead of gravitating toward such teachings, I'll be repulsed and run away as fast as I can in the other direction, back to Jesus, the author and perfecter of my faith.  If He and His teachings are not the center, the cornerstone, the foundation, then I have no business following such nonsense.

Jesus Christ provides the right equipment to be able to discern the true teacher from the false even though they may be widely admired.

Generous/Stingy.  They use others for their own purposes and are driven by selfish ambition instead of a desire to see others grow in their faith.  They may portray themselves as being humble and noble creatures but when getting closer I find they are stingy with their time and resources, focused mainly on what is best for themselves and their own interests.  

With the discernment that is given to me when I trust in Jesus as my Lord and Savior, I'll be able to recognize the difference between a selfish motive and a God-centered one (Isaiah 32:6b-7).  While the reputation may be of one who cares, the reality could be the opposite.  Without the right equipment, however, I could get sucked into the public relations machine where I'll be sold a bill of goods.

Jesus Christ provides the right equipment to be able to discern the generous from the stingy.


As I make my way through life, I discover the lines between truth and deception can be blurry to say the least.  As the world seems to go mad, following fools as if they were heroes, false teachers like they are the best things since intermittent windshield wipers, or confusing the self-centered for the godly, I'll need to don the right equipment to be able to tell the difference.  Through repentance and faith in Jesus Christ, I'll receive the glasses I need to see the truth so that I can grow in my relationship with Him.  Otherwise, I'll get lost in a field of poppies where I'll fall asleep to the life-giving truth.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep my eyes on Jesus, staying sensitive to the discernment He provides.

When do I fall for the deceptive messages of false teachers, ignoring the nagging, uncomfortable feeling within?

How am I unwilling to go against the crowd in order to stay true to Jesus?          

No comments:

Post a Comment