The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Only as Firm as Your Faith

"If you do not stand firm in your faith,
you will not stand at all."
Isaiah 7:9b



God's message to King Ahaz was clear:  I've got your back, but you will never be able to keep from falling victim to intimidation unless you believe Me and My Word.

How am I the same?  There is much in today's culture that can intimidate me into shutting my mouth, keeping me from living my faith out loud.  If, however, I trust in God alone, I will see Him deliver me from evil.  My footing is only as firm as my faith.

Walk by Sight.  I often want to be aware of the plan, to know what to expect, to be prepared.  It's hard to walk blind through life, but this is what I'm called to do, to walk by faith (2 Corinthians 5:7).  It reminds me of the times I've tried blindfolding myself in order to experience what it would be like to be blind.  After stumbling around, feeling my way through the house, I decided I'd rather lose my hearing than my sight.  I value the ability to see where I'm going much too much to let it go!

If I am to please the Lord, however, I must trust Him implicitly and completely, leaving no room for doubt, no desire to control, no need to know.  When I instead walk by sight, depending upon my own limited resources and wherewithal, I end up whining and crying at the tragedy of it all, failing to see the big picture as God does.  Trusting God results in a more godly perspective.  And seeing more from His point of view than from mine changes everything.

My footing in a topsy-turvy world is firm when I walk by faith, not by sight.

Backwards Perspective.  If I'm honest with myself, I easily slip into the prideful habit of fearing man and what he can do to me.  I worry about my reputation, the consequences of bucking the system, the backlash of going against the flow.  I'm sensitive to others' feelings and will do almost anything to keep from offending them.  I end up playing the game to keep from rocking the boat or to avoid drawing attention to myself.

Meanwhile, little do I realize that in so doing I'm failing to fear God, to respect His sovereignty and acknowledge His might.  I'm denying that my failure to revere His character enough to realize man can do me no harm in light of His sovereign power, His wonderful plan, His righteous work is an offense to Him (Romans 8:31, Matthew 10:28).  While being worried about offending people I fail to consider the fact that my anxiety reveals my unwillingness to trust in God's abilities which offends Him greatly.  I've got it all backwards.

My footing in a topsy-turvy world is firm when I keep my perspective a God-focused one.

Treasure the World.  My heart is found in what I hold dear (Matthew 6:19).  Too often than I'd like to admit, I find myself treasuring the things of this world.  As a result, I put more emphasis on the temporary instead of the eternal.  I want to feel secure and comfortable and I end up being driven by these desires instead of by a passion for Christ and what He's done on the cross.  As a result, my heart is not at rest as I encounter difficulties.  I fear losing what I've worked so hard to gain.  I hold on to what I have, thinking it's what gives my life meaning.  I've lost sight of my true treasure:  Jesus.

When I value Him as the only thing worth fighting for, my greatest Love, my reason for living, I live differently than when I treasure that which is temporary.  I view life through Jesus-colored glasses and all that I strive to gain; the material goods, the success, the notoriety, all fade away and become like trash to be set out at the curb for pick up (Philippians 3:7-8).  I can do without it because I see how little I need it.  My once red-hot ambition fades away, the sense of discontent is replaced by satisfaction, and anxiety over securing my position is gone.  Treasuring the world breeds restlessness but valuing Jesus as He is meant to be cherished results in serenity.

My footing in a topsy-turvy world is firm when I treasure Jesus most of all.


The mandate God gave to Ahaz is no different than the one I must heed:  If I want to stand firm in this crazy world filled with intimidation and legitimate powers to fear, I must trust God. Living this way runs counter to my natural inclination to walk by sight, fear man and treasure the things of this world.  Therefore, in order to please God, I'll need to live by faith, revere God as above all things, and cherish Christ as my greatest treasure.  When I do, I'll see that my footing is only as firm as my faith.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God in all things, believing that He will provide all I need.

How have I forsaken God's sovereign power by trusting in my own resources?

How is my sight narrow, failing to consider the scope of God's domain? 


No comments:

Post a Comment