The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, July 3, 2015

Love Intervenes

"The arrogance of man will be brought low
and human pride humbled;
The LORD alone will be exalted in that day,
and the idols will totally disappear. . .
Stop trusting in mere humans,
who have but a breath in their nostrils.
Why hold them in esteem?"
Isaiah 2:17, 22



Modern culture reveres and worships many things.  Education.  Wealth.  Freedom.  Rights.  Equality.  Tolerance.  Success.  Prosperity.  Celebrities.  Talent.  Innovation.   But none are to be exalted.  God, in His majesty and power, towers over all.

Why, then, do we as His people tend to get sucked into the culture, taking on its beliefs, values and sense of moral relativity?  Why, if we revere God and know of His coming judgement, do we fear what man will say if we uphold His standard and warn the lost?  What is man that we should fear him and not God? 

The time to stand up is now, before its too late and too many are damned to an eternity of suffering.

Perspective.  I read the news, seeing how it turns out for those who stand up against the government, or who stand firm in their faith against evil, or who fight for what is right.  It seems man has so much clout in this dark world.  The power mongers bully their way through life, giving me the perception that their authority and means is unlimited and that there is no way I can win against their formidable agenda, that their unstoppable machine will run over anyone who gets in their way.  The truth, however subtle, tells a different story.

God's power is beyond comprehension.  The very same supremacy and dominion that generated all of creation has absolutely no boundaries in time or space.  He can make the sun stand still, shadows go backward, and the mouth of the famished lion stay closed (Joshua 10:12-15, Isaiah 38:8, Daniel 6:22).   There is nothing that is impossible for Him and with His unlimited resources, I can trust Him to have my back (Luke 1:37, Psalm 24:1).  Is there any other place that is more secure than in the shadow of His wings?  I think not.  I, then, have no reason to fear man:  he's just not as powerful and influential as I may think.

My unwillingness to stand is a matter of perspective and it's time I got mine right:  God rules supreme over all of His creation, including the most powerful forms of intimidation mankind uses to threaten me.  If God is for me, who can be against me (Romans 8:31)?

Pursue Holiness.  I'm saved.  The blood of Jesus has covered my sins (Hebrews 9:22, 1 John 1:7).  In Christ I can no longer, as God's child by faith, be condemned (Romans 8:1).  So why should I worry about sin?  I'm forgiven, right?  Yes, but freedom does not mean I'm free to do as my flesh pleases (Romans 6:1-2).  My sin nature is contrary to God's indwelling Spirit, leading me to do that which dishonors Him (Galatians 5:16-18).  So why would I want to trample on the blood of Jesus, making a mockery of what He did to save me (Hebrews 10:26-31)?  If He was willing to give His very life for me, can't I see how serious an offense my sin is to God?  It cost Jesus His life, for crying out loud!

Holiness is important to God (1 Peter 1:15-16).  Therefore, I must repent of my sins, recognizing how these offenses are against God Himself and how it grieves His Spirit when I choose my flesh over Him (Ephesians 4:17-32).  Let me, then, make a commitment to shunning sin and revering God enough to follow His Spirit instead of my own nature.  When I do so, I show God how much I treasure His gift of salvation that came at such a steep price.

The Lord alone is holy, but as His child by faith in Jesus I am called to pursue this holiness He treasures enough to have given His Son to secure it through His Spirit.

Willing Vessel.  There are two ways I can live as a Christian.  I can study up on Christian living and work hard to do the right thing.  I can spend my time finding out what is expected of me and then focus my efforts on fulfilling those obligations.  Soon I will find myself burned out as I realize my limits.  

The other way is to let the indwelling Spirit of God move my feet, supply my strength, inspire my actions, give me words to speak, love always.  This is the mode of operation in which I will find unlimited strength and in this way He gets all the glory for the great things He has done (Isaiah 40:31).

In order to impact the world for Christ I must be a willing vessel that is used by God's Spirit with a power I could never muster up on my own.


God alone is to be revered and worshiped, yet I find myself so often drawn into a cultural mindset that exalts man.  As such, I find myself intimidated into silence.  If I am to honor God, however, I'll need to place Him in His proper place, take sin seriously, and allow the Holy Spirit to use me.  As I do, I'll find that love does not sit idly by.  Love intervenes.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can watch what is happening in this broken world with the peace of knowing that God rules supreme. 

How do I minimize God's power by fearing what man could do to me?

When am I more aware of man's power than of God's? 


No comments:

Post a Comment