The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Who Are You Following?

"And the leaders and officials 
have led the way in this unfaithfulness."
Ezra 9:2b



God has always been concerned with the holiness of His people since purity reflects His nature (Leviticus 20:26, 1 Peter 1:16).  He knows the hearts of His people and how easy they are corrupted by worldly ways.  Therefore, it was His intention for His people to avoid intermarrying with the nations around them.  As a form of protection against idol worship, God desired for His people to stick with their own (Deuteronomy 7:1-4).

When many leaders were condoning rebellion, however, and making intermarriage seem acceptable, the people naturally followed.  It is the same today.  There are many pastors, speakers and teachers who have strayed from God's intended purpose for His people.  As a result, it is very important that I carefully choose those I follow.  I may think I'm secure in my faith, but in truth I'm easily swayed, just like the Israelites.  Therefore, I would be wise to select godly leadership.

Follow Suit.  When I was in elementary school I had a good friend whom I admired.  When she showed up one day with a fake fur coat, I went home and asked my mom for the same.  When it came time to buy a new coat, I chose one just like my friend but in a different color.  When it rained, she stayed dry under a bubble umbrella.  Of course I had to have one just like it.  My friend parted her hair down the middle and clipped it back on each side so I wanted to do just the same.  The more I spent time with her, the more she rubbed off on me.

While I may not adopt the style of my leaders, their behaviors, attitudes and beliefs will influence me.  Even if it is my intention to be mostly swayed by Jesus himself, I can't help but take on some of the ways of thinking of the people I follow.    

I would be wise to choose mentors with godly behavior, attitudes and beliefs, for they will soon become mine (1 Corinthians 15:33).

Chip off the Block.  I love to watch The Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic channel.  One of the things Cesar Millan teaches is that a dog is a reflection of his owner.  If the human struggles with fear, the dog will become fearful without the security of a calm, assertive pack leader.  If I want to have a healthy, obedient dog, I must work on some of my own issues first.

Similary, the more I'm around a person who I look up to, the more I will come to resemble them.  It makes sense, then, that I surround myself with godly people who teach me more about Jesus than I would ever know apart from them. In other words, if my leaders are not modeling Christ-like behavior, I should not consider them to be my leader. 

This is not to say I need to follow perfect people.  We all have our struggles and are works in progress (Philippians 1:6).  I can, however, choose those who are open with their issues and are willing to admit to downfalls, modeling for me humility and the act of submission to God's purification process known as sanctification (James 5:16, Malachi 3:3-4, Romans 6:6).

I would be wise to choose humble leaders who submit to God, for I will come to resemble them in many ways.

Influence.  There are only two directions in which I can travel.  One is toward Jesus, the other is away from Him.  I can work with Jesus or against Him (Matthew 12:30).  I can move in the direction of life or on the way to destruction (Matthew 7:13-14).  In life, I just have to choose.

Since I've got to take a stand, it is vital that I surround myself with people who point me to Jesus.  If I'm not consistently hearing that He is the answer to every problem, the missing link to each chain, and the perfect fulfillment of my every desire, I'm probably being led in the wrong direction.

It's easy to water down the gospel to make it more palatable for today's carnally-minded culture.  What I end up with, then, is a version of Jesus that is popular but not real.  A Gospel that appeals to everyone but has lost it's transforming power.  A message that seems relevant but is far from the truth.

I would be wise to choose teachers who keep Jesus front and center, for the path I follow will be strongly influenced by their teachings.


It matters who my leaders are.  While it is important for me to study God's Word for myself and work out my own salvation with fear and trembling, I am created to live in community with others.  When picking who I follow, I would be wise to choose those whose walk resembles Jesus and whose heart is humble and pliable.  Then I won't have to worry when I follow suit, take on their characteristics and am influenced by their teachings.  In order to stay true to Jesus and His intention for my life, I must always ask, "Who am I following?"


As I begin this day it is my prayer that those who are leading me help me keep my eyes on Jesus. 

When does my mentor encourage me to emulate them instead of Jesus?

How are my influences leading me down the wrong path?  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment