The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Danger in Confidence

"But when he had become powerful, he also became proud,
which led to his downfall.
He sinned against the LORD his God
by entering the sanctuary of the LORD's Temple
and personally burning incense on the incense altar."
2 Chronicles 26:16 NLT



His approval ratings would have been high if they had possessed such a tool back in Uzziah's time.  As the leader of Judah, he sought God, pleasing Him with his wholehearted devotion.  As a result, the first half of his reign was quite successful.  Uzziah was victorious in battle against the Philistines and Arabs, constructed towers in Jerusalem and the desert, improved the living situation of his people by getting them to work the soil so the vineyards, farms and outlying fertile lands flourished. Since water is vital in that region, he irrigated the lands and increased his herds of livestock.  He developed the armed forces, equipping them well and bolstering the strength of his tiny nation even more by designing machines to help protect his cities.  In all, he must have been a well-loved king.

Admired, that is, until his fame spread and the popularity and power went to his head.  Then he became overconfident and prideful, overstepping his God-given boundaries by taking on the role of the anointed priests.  Consequently, he lived out the rest of his years in exile, suffering with leprosy while his son took the throne (2 Chronicles 26).

I am equally at risk of falling into such foolishness.  When God gives me great blessing, whether it be in the responsibility of leadership, worldly success, wisdom or riches, I will grow confident.  As I grow in strength, it is very easy to forget Who is responsible for my position.  Then I am in trouble.  Thankfully, there is a way to avoid such peril.

Stay Faithful.  There is a reason I am advised to keep my eyes on Jesus who both generates and develops my faith.  There is so much in this world to distract me from wholehearted devotion to God.  I easily get off-track by becoming involved in worldly pursuits that turn my attention away from my First Love, getting caught up in activities that are good in themselves but take up too much importance in my heart, and spending more time on developing my character than on sitting at the feet of Jesus.  As a result, I find my heart straying.

In order to stay true to God as my highest pursuit, I must always keep Jesus in my line of sight.  How was He able to endure such torture, being abandoned by those who claimed allegiance to Him at His hour of greatest need?  And who bore such suffering on the cross, paying no attention to the shame of such a death?  Keeping His focus on His true identity as Son of God, remembering His rightful place at His Father's right hand, knowing the joy of the reunion awaiting Him, Jesus endured.

Jesus gives me the inspiration and ability to stay faithful to the God who loves me.

Keep Humble.  Uzziah got a little too big for his britches.  He probably started off knowing full well that he was nothing apart from God.  Then, as people and nations began to sit up and take notice of his success, he might have started thinking there was something great in him that enabled such notoriety.  He could have went from believing God was his only hope to wondering if maybe his own intelligence and ingenuity got him to where he was.  It's not hard to become prideful since I'm stuck in this fleshly abode that is so conscious of self.

As a result, I must never forget my true identity as a sinner.  I am completely incapable of pleasing God in my own power or wherewithal (Romans 3:23).  As a result, I am utterly lost because of my sin.  Thankfully, the other part of my description is of one who is made righteous by grace through faith in Jesus Christ (Romans 3:24).  I am not left in my sin that earns me eternal death, but instead have been cleansed by the blood of Jesus.  Therefore, I am wholly dependent upon the grace of God.

Jesus keeps me humble as I keep in mind that I am nothing without Him.

Soften my Heart.  I find it hard to take constructive criticism, especially when I know in my heart it is true.  I know in my head that I need to follow the advise given, but it is hard to admit that I am wrong, let alone consider the fact that I need to change.  Realizing that I am no different from anyone else, though, seems to help me let go of my desire to defend myself.  

Sin is a disease I share with all of mankind.  The only difference between each individual is whether or not one is willing to admit to that sin.  Once I do own up to my wrong behavior, thoughts and beliefs, I can turn away from what is coming between me and God.  Since Jesus already died for that sin so that I could be forgiven, mercy from God through Christ is guaranteed.  The only thing keeping me from receiving that forgiveness, then, is my own unwillingness to confess (1 John 1:9).

Jesus delivers forgiveness to me when I am willing to admit to my sin.


It is all too easy to tread on perilous ground when God blesses me greatly.  As I grow in confidence, it is important that I train my eyes on Jesus who enables me to stay faithful to God, keep humble by remembering my true identity, and am open to admitting my sin whenever it comes up.  In vigilantly maintaining these habits, I'll protect myself from falling into the danger that is found in strength.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep my eyes on Jesus.

When do I get distracted from Him?

How am I hard-hearted toward my own sin?

No comments:

Post a Comment