The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Dependent Upon Grace

"For if, by the trespass of the one man,
death reigned through that one man,
how much more will those who receive
God's abundant provision of grace
and the gift of righteousness reign in life
through the one man, Jesus Christ!"
Romans 5:17



I remember having a conversation with a godly couple after church one Sunday.  I recounted some experiences from my week where I struggled with obeying God's still small voice because doing so would interrupt my schedule.  I shared how I decided to submit to His calling and once I did, God seemed to slow down time, allowing me to do what He had wanted me to do as well as complete the tasks I had on my own list.  I then asked, "What is that, anyway?"  The man said simply, "Grace."

That one conversation gave me more insight into grace than anything else I had ever experienced.  Before then, I thought grace was what saved me from eternal death but that was where it ended.  As each day passes, I appreciate more and more God's unmerited favor that colors every part of my life.  I am completely dependent upon His grace!

Grace Within.  My heart is hard and cold as stone (Ezekiel 36:26).  It is blackened with sin, unable to do any good (Romans 7:18).  I easily stray, thinking I can handle my life on my own, in my own way (Deuteronomy 8:14).  In short, I seem to be a hopeless case.

I am bankrupt without Jesus and the grace He delivers.  Because of His sacrifice on the cross, my cold heart has been turned to flesh, my sins have been washed away and I have been offered forgiveness for my waywardness time and time again.  All these benefits are as a result of the grace of God.

I desperately need the grace of God within.

Grace Without.  I want to do good but it turns out all wrong.  I try to help others but my efforts end up turning them away from God instead of toward Him (1 Corinthians 13:1-3).  I work hard to do the right thing but I fail every time.  What am I missing?

Grace.  Jesus tells me that I can do nothing apart from Him (John 15:5).  In other words, without the grace of God that is delivered through my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, I can do no good.  If I'm not connected to the Vine, my outreach lacks the love of God.  I can try to choose the right thing to do but my standards greatly differ from God's. 

I desperately need the grace of God without.

Grace Up.  She desired to know more about God, but her efforts to find Him usually took her in the wrong direction.  She sought out advice from many and consequently followed dozens of paths that promised to end at Him.  In her quest, she tried to get to God by impressing Him with her clean living and philanthropic ways.  Finally, my friend learned that the relationship she desired with God was broken by her sin.  With great joy she accepted the redemptive work Jesus did for her on the cross that bridged the gulf that existed between her and God.  The relationship she so desired was now repaired and her thirst for Him was quenched.

I am made for God.  Apart from Him, my life has no meaning, I have no direction and am devoid of virtue.  When God first created man, He walked in the garden with His image bearers in perfect communion.  Sin ruined that rapport but the yearning for connection remains.  Thankfully, God shares that longing for reunion and His love never gives up.  He never stops drawing me back to Himself and He proved His great love for me by sending Jesus to take my place in death while I was deep in sin (Romans 5:8).  He has done everything necessary to restore my bond with Him.

I desperately need the grace of God to repair my vertical relationship.


Sometimes I fool myself into thinking I have everything I need in myself.  Then, I come to the end of me and realize how dependent I am upon God's grace.  I need grace to pour in, flow out, and extend up.  Without His grace, I am lost.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can depend upon His grace instead of on my own bankrupt resources.

When do I forget how lost I am apart from God and His grace?

How do I try to generate the fruit of the Spirit in my own strength?

No comments:

Post a Comment