The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

No Guarantee

"Jotham did what was pleasing in the LORD's sight.
He did everything his father, Uzziah, had done,
except that Jotham did not sin 
by entering the Temple of the LORD.
But the people continued in their corrupt ways."
2 Chronicles 27:2 NLT



Life is not a formula.  I can't put in "x" plus "y" and expect to receive "z".  Sometimes the result is "q" or "m" or something else altogether.  King Jotham's life provides a good example of this reality.  He pleased the Lord in the way he conducted his life and led God's people, but those following behind went their own way.  His godly leadership did not influence others for the good.  Instead, his God-centered lifestyle seemed to have no effect on them whatsoever.  While frustrating, there are several reasons why there is no guarantee in life.

Freedom of Choice.  Any parent who has tried to "make" a toddler eat their vegetables, go to sleep, or use the toilet knows that children have wills of their own.  God has given each of us the freedom to choose how to live.

As a result, there are times when I tend to act like the willful toddler, wanting my way instead of my Father's.  It could be that I know it's better not to talk about others, but it feels good to vent and get my frustrations off my chest.  Other times I realize God is leading me toward a certain ministry but my doubts and fears keep me from following behind Him down the unknown path.  Sometimes I even recognize God's conviction yet ignore His gentle prodding out of an unwillingness to let go of my current lifestyle that is so familiar and comfortable to me.

If I can be so defiant, why would I think others aren't equally as stubborn?  Therefore, I must realize the lives of those I love and care about belong to them, and only they can make a choice to take godly advice, follow my lead toward Christ, or receive God's best for them.

There are no guarantees in life because God gives us freedom of choice.

Stronghold of Sin.  The temptation is great.  If I turn away immediately, I might have a chance.  But once I take that second look, I'm a goner.

The draw of sin in my life is very strong.  As a sinful creature, I may want to do what's right, following God in all my ways, but my flesh pulls me in another direction (Romans 7:23).  Because of this reality, I must take the power of sin into account when dealing with others, realizing they are just like me and may sometimes succumb to the lure of the flesh.  As a result, it is important that I bear with others in love, giving them a break when they go the wrong way (Ephesians 4:2-3).  

A gentle and loving rebuke may sometimes be necessary, but I can't expect my words to be enough to break the bond of sin.  Instead, I may need to wait for God to change a heart (2 Timothy 2:25).

There are no guarantees in life because sin is a strong factor to consider.

Mission of Enemy.  The flock of sheep seemed so peaceful grazing in the meadow beside the quiet stream.  They frolicked through the fields, letting the soft blades of grass tickle their noses as they stopped for a snack. It seemed the creatures had not a care in the world, that is until I noticed the wolf stalking in the nearby brush.

My life is not so different from the sheep's.  It may seem like I live a fairly secure and safe life, far removed from any danger.  The truth, however, is far from this fantasy.  I have an enemy whose mission is to steal, kill and destroy (John 10:10).  Satan is bent on taking away my assurance of salvation, exterminating my faith, and ruining the peace that rules my heart.  He never gives up, but is constantly on the lookout for how he can turn me away from my First Love (1 Peter 5:8).

Even though his power is not absolute and he does not have complete authority over the lives of those who belong to Christ, I am living in his domain.  As such, he will do whatever he can to break the faith of the brethren and lead us astray.

There are no guarantees in life because there is an enemy who never stops his efforts to keep us from God.


I can live my life wholeheartedly devoted to God, yet those in my realm of influence may still follow the path of destruction.  There are no guarantees in life because God has given each human the freedom to make their own choices, sin may be a stronger influence than I realized, and all believers have an enemy whose mission is to take us away from the narrow path.  Therefore, I must live the best I can and leave those I love and care about in the hands of a God who loves them dearly.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God to bring my loved one back to Him.

When do I forget how strong is the power of sin?

How am I unfairly expecting certain behavior out of my children or friends instead of loving them right where they are?

No comments:

Post a Comment