The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, September 26, 2014

His Eye is Upon Us

"But the eye of their God was watching over
the elders of the Jews,
and they were not stopped until a report could go to Darius
and his written reply be received."
Ezra 5:5



Perhaps the most miraculous evidence of God's omnipotent character is His ability to manage events in a way that protects His own, delivers justice, draws the lost to Him and brings glory to Himself, all at the same time.  The complexity of life makes this task impossible.  

But nothing is impossible with God (Matthew 19:26).  He knows how to humble a man in just the way he needs(Daniel 4:37).  He has the foresight to deliver us from harm's way when all hope is lost (Exodus 14:10-28).  And, as in today's scripture, He can interfere with the enemy's attempts to halt kingdom work.

What impact does God's attentions make in my life?  All the difference!

Protection.  He walked away from the car accident unharmed.  She delivered the baby without incident, despite the preliminary tests that indicated there would be complications.  Notwithstanding the allegations of wrong-doing and slander by the media, the little church continued their Vacation Bible School outreach in the midst of scandal.  God knows how to protect His own.

Sometimes what threatens is evil and meant to bring harm to the children of light.  God, however, turns the tables and uses it to further His kingdom (Genesis 50:20).  Other times the danger comes as a result of living in a sinful, broken world.  God, however, is able to change the very laws of nature, if necessary, to make a way where there appears to be none (Isaiah 43:19).  Then there are the times when I am in danger of falling into sin, letting a certain temptation overtake me.  God, however, offers the hint of escape, providing a way to turn away from the stronghold that threatens (1 Corinthians 10:13).

God's faithful attention to the details of my life offers protection.

Power.  "I can't do it anymore."  No truer statement could be made, and coming to the end of myself is what I need in order to realize how much I need Jesus.  I am not able to do what I'm called to do, resist the temptation to sin, or love a world that rewards my efforts with hate.  I am not able, but Christ who lives within me is more than capable (Galatians 2:20).

Therefore, when I feel I can't go on, Jesus will carry my load for me (Matthew 11:28).  When life's obstacles seem impossible to negotiate, He will empower me to continue moving forward (Isaiah 40:29Proverbs 3:5-6).  When loving is the last thing I feel like doing to those who hurt me, God's love will overflow into their lives, doing what I'm incapable of doing (1 Timothy 1:14, 1 John 4:19).

God's faithful attention to the details of my life offers empowerment.

Purpose.  Life can sometimes feel like one random act of cruelty after another.  As I peer through the pouring rain, reflecting on the hardships my family has recently endured, it would be easy for me to despair.  Is it all for nothing?  Do I suffer just for the sake of suffering?  Is there any kind of a plan hidden within the difficulty?

Yes, there is a purpose.  God has designed a master plan for my life which utilizes all of the hiccups, potholes and tragedies as part of the beautiful design.  Otherwise, why would I want to carry on?  

With Him I can trust that the cancer is not a weapon used to inflict pain but a tool to offer opportunities to taste His mercy and comfort.  With Him I can trust that the string of unfortunate events is not some cruel joke meant to impose a feeling of hopelessness but a lesson in faith-building that offers glimpses of His greatness as He comes through time and time again.  With Him I can trust that the lack of worldly success is not some kind of bitter punishment but a method for growing a humble heart as I learn to bloom where I am planted.

God's faithful attention to the details of my life reveals His grand purpose.


Life can seem so random and cruel but at the center of it all is God, keeping an eye on all the working parts and lovingly caring for His own.  With such attentions from my Father, I can be sure of His protection, empowerment and purposeful leadership.  What a joy to live a life with His eye always upon me!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God with all the details of my life.

When do I despair as life seems so cruel?

How is it easy to forget that God has a plan?   

2 comments:

  1. I needed to hear that. It is amazing to think that God is everywhere and taking care of everything all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly is a big God. I guess we can trust Him, then, can't we?

      Delete