The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

God of All

"But Zerabbabel, Jeshua, and the other leaders of Israel replied, 'You may have no part in this work.
We alone will build the Temple for the LORD,
the God of Israel,
just as King Cyrus of Persia commanded us.'"
Ezra 4:3 NLT



In refusing their help, the Jewish leaders either acted wisely in protecting their mission, or they embittered their adversaries against them.  While it is apparent that their enemy's offer of help was a ploy to undermine their mission, the leaders' response reveals a common belief that runs counter to God's true character.  Even though they belonged to God, as do I through faith in Jesus Christ, He did not belong to them.  In other words, no one owns God.  Sometimes, though, I behave as if I do.

Gospel.  Everyone needs Jesus.  All have a sin problem that separates mankind from the God who loves them (Isaiah 59:2).  Each human was created for relationship with their Maker.  None can reach Him in their own strength or based on their own standard.  All fall short of God's perfect expectation(Romans 3:23).  This is why God sent Jesus, to save the world through Him (John 3:17).

Even though God is gracious, wanting none to be lost (2 Peter 3:9), I can be stingy with His saving gospel message.  I know a little about someone and their background and assume they wouldn't be interested.  Since when does an atheist care about Jesus? I reason to myself.  Or I observe the hardness of heart exhibited by a coworker and jump to the conclusion that she's the last person who would want to discuss spiritual things.  Or I choose who I share the Gospel with based on how open I think they will be.

In truth, only God knows what He has been doing in the heart of each (John 6:44).  I might be surprised who responds and who doesn't.  The confessed atheist might really be at a point where he is searching for meaning and a sense of his own worth.  The coworker could be hardened in an effort to protect the hurt Jesus longs to carry.  The narrow-minded among me might actually be ready to hear something new.

I act as if God can be owned

when I refuse the Gospel to those who seem like they'd reject its life-giving message (Romans 1:16).

Judge.  I wouldn't think a tattooed leader of a Metalcore band would be a follower of Christ, but I'd be wrong (Austin Carlile).  It would seem that a rough-looking truck-driver is up to no good, but appearances can be deceiving.  While I expect the clean-cut young man is the Believer, it's actually the leather-clad biker who loves Jesus.  In each case, I am guilty of judging based on appearances, something God never does (1 Samuel 16:7).

God has His people everywhere, spread out in all walks of life as salt sprinkled throughout the world (Matthew 5:13).  In this way, each person has a chance to hear the Gospel, to witness the Light, and to experience God's love.  As it is said, sometimes I am the only Jesus others will see.  It is God's desire that each of His image bearers gets the chance to see His love in action.  What better way than to distribute His followers in all places, from the lowliest to the highest?  

I act as if God can be owned when I judge others as non-believers based on their appearance.

Indiscriminate.  I swallow the message whole without chewing.  I feel secure as I listen to the trusted leader so I believe every word that comes from his mouth.  Instead of relying on the still, small Voice warning me of deception, I take the speaker at his word.

If I don't know God's Word for myself, I'll fall for a lot of false teaching, misinterpretation or just plain foolishness packaged as truth.  When I assume a teacher knows what she's talking about because of her image as a follower of Christ, I am ignoring the discernment of the Holy Spirit.  Instead, I must follow the example of the Berean Jews who tested everything Paul taught against the truth of scripture (Acts 17:11).  It's nothing against those who teach but simply a responsibility given to each believer, no matter their background.

I act as if God can be owned when I think I am unable to examine the Scriptures for myself to test a message from a well-known speaker.


It's easy to attempt to contain God, sharing the Gospel sparingly, judging others based on their appearance, and assuming God teaches only through man.  In reality, the Gospel of Jesus Christ is for everyone, people from all walks of life follow Jesus, and anyone can discern truth from falsehood no matter their background or education level.  In these ways, the Lord shows He is the God of all.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I not limit God by who I interact with, being stingy with His love.

How do I withhold the truth from some because I assume they won't listen?

When am I guilty of accepting a message without discrimination simply because of the speaker's reputation?

No comments:

Post a Comment