The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

More With Us

"Be strong and courageous.
Do not be afraid or discouraged
because of the king of Assyria and the vast army with him,
for there is a greater power with us than with him."
2 Chronicles 32:7



They were experienced in conquering nations.  Having never tasted defeat, they were pretty confident in their ability to take down the tiny nation of Judah.  So, they set to work, laying siege to all the fortified cities.  In the face of such a threat as this, Hezekiah didn't waver in his faith in God.  Even though the armies of Sennacherib, king of Assyria, surrounded him, he realized they were no match for his mighty God!  Therefore, he encouraged his people to stand firm and put their trust in the Lord (2 Chronicles 32).

It may look like things are pretty hopeless in my life, as well.  Perhaps I face an insurmountable opponent such as the federal government, or a powerful corporation, or a team of lawyers.  No matter how much they posture, threaten and attempt to intimidate me, they are no match for God.  Even if they've never lost a case or failed in their efforts, God cannot be defeated.  If God is for me, who can be against me? (Romans 8:31, Psalm 118:6)

I have nothing to fear because no matter how things look, there's more with me than with my enemy.

Arm of Flesh.  The plan is solid and they've all had a good night's sleep.  The team is filled with hard-working people, the best in their field.  It seems everything is working in their favor.  As they set to work, though, they face many obstacles.  As time goes by, their fervor wanes and their strength fades.  Before they know it, they are burned out.

It doesn't matter how well-prepared man is; he will run out of steam at some point.  The abilities and power of man are limited.  If I place my trust in any man-made entity, I will be disappointed.  If, however, I place my faith in God, I will never be let down.  He never grows weary or runs out of answers and I can't go wrong by waiting on Him (Isaiah 40:27-31).

When I place my faith in God, there is more with me no matter how strong or intelligent man may seem.

Warrior.  It seems counter-intuitive in the face of a battle.  Isn't an army supposed to fight?  Usually, yes, but God has a history of fighting battles for His people.  So, Joshua trusted in God's plan and led his people in marching around Jericho, never lifting a weapon against the mighty, fortified city they were there to conquer.  To their great astonishment, the impenetrable walls fell on the seventh day of marching, purely as a result of God's supernatural work, and the Israelites took the city (Joshua 6).

God is not just my protector, provider and sustainer.  He is also my warrior.  As such, it is His desire that I let Him fight my battles for me (Deuteronomy 20:4).  Therefore, I can rest easy and watch for the Lord's deliverance.  Even though it seems like I should be fighting to protect my rights, or further my agenda, or liberate myself, it is God's desire that I leave the battle to Him.  In the end, when I stand in wonder at all He has done to rescue me, He will get all the glory for a battle well-fought.

When I place my faith in God, letting Him fight my battles, there is more with me than with my enemy.

Help.  It feels good to help others, knowing I have made their lives a bit easier and have blessed them in some small way.  Asking for help, on the other hand, is not something I am naturally willing to do.  I'd rather muddle through on my own, trying my best to make things work.  
I was never designed to walk alone on the path God has laid before me.  It is His intention that I walk with Him, allowing Him to bear my burdens, hold onto my fears, and carry my worries.  When I insist on trying to make a go of it in my own strength, I will fall every time.  When I instead cast my cares on Him, trusting in His mighty power, I will be able to walk calmly and assuredly through any calamity that comes my way, knowing He is my ever-present source of help (Psalm 46:1-3).

When I place my faith in God, allowing Him to help me in my time of need, there is more with me than with the unknown I face.


In the same way that Hezekiah faced a great opponent yet stood firm in his faith, I can trust God even when the going gets tough.  When I do, I will realize the futility of trusting in man and will allow God to fight my battles for me and give me the help I so desperately need.  Then I will truly be able to say, there is more with me than with whatever it is I face.  


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God instead of giving into fear.

When am I afraid to let God fight for me?

How am I unwilling to let God carry my burdens for me?    


No comments:

Post a Comment