The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Then He Knew

"In his distress he sought the favor of the LORD his God
and humbled himself greatly 
before the God of his ancestors.
And when he prayed to him,
the LORD was moved by his entreaty
and listened to his plea;
so he brought him back to Jerusalem and to his kingdom.
Then Manasseh knew that the LORD is God."
2 Chronicles 33:12-13



Sometimes it takes a crisis or tragedy to set thing right in my life.  I don't naturally choose to know that the LORD is God (Psalm 100:3).  It's easy to live my life apart from Him, forgetting who He is and denying His sovereign nature.  Forgetting, that is, until I'm up against a wall, or facing my own demise, or at the end of myself.  Then, I suddenly recognize how much I need Him.

Humbled.  For seven years he lived a solitary existence, out in the wilds of the land.  Instead of dining at the king's table where he wanted for nothing he ate grass like a cow.  There was no bedding to sleep upon nor blankets to cover him as he slept.  Consequently, he awoke each morning drenched in dew.  Year after year passed without grooming of any kind and his hair began to resemble the feathers of a bird, his nails growing to a hideous length.  Nebuchadnezzar, mighty king of Babylon, remained this way until he acknowledged that God is most powerful and the sole source of all good things.  God knew what it took to humble this man (Daniel 4:28-37).

Equally, He knows what it takes to wake me up from my slumber.  I naturally believe I can do whatever I put my mind to, that I will succeed if I simply try hard enough, or that everything I have is as a result of my own hard work.  I also foolishly deceive myself into thinking I can protect myself from harm as long as I take all the precautions that are necessary, covering myself with insurance policies and never putting myself in harm's way.  Suddenly, I find myself in a place where I believe I am the captain of my own destiny, the king of my own life and am able to provide for my own needs.  It's clear I need to recognize how dependent I am upon the sovereign Lord.

Sometimes it takes a wake-up call for me to remember that I am at God's mercy.

Heard.  Sometimes I feel unnoticed, unimportant or overlooked.  I can stand in a crowd of people and not one person will acknowledge me, as if I don't exist.  It's easy to go through life thinking no one cares.

Thankfully, the Lord is a God who cares (1 Peter 5:7).  He hears my plea and responds to the cry of my heart.  When I realize how much I need Him and His compassionate touch, I reach out to Him.  And the amazing part is that He hears me!  This God who made all things, oversees all of creation and keeps all the parts going also notices little ole' me.  

He is never too busy, preoccupied or consumed with more important things to attend to my needs, no matter how trivial they may seem.  He loves to listen to my petty complaints, or hear about my seemingly inconsequential grievances, or take note of whatever is plaguing my mind.  
When I cry out to the Lord with a humble heart, He hears me: I am understood.

New Understanding.  As I enter into this sweet union with my Father who loves me, I gain a fresh perspective on life.  Apart any effort of my own, I become less and He becomes more.  My scope of vision is dominated by the Lord as all the other stuff I used to pay attention to fades to the background.  All the goals and pursuits that drove me forward now seem so silly as I appreciate my relationship with Jesus as most valuable (Philippians 3:7-9).

Unfortunately, I cannot always attain this understanding on my own.  Many times it takes a difficult time to get me to the point where God can get through to me.  Then I will come away with the realization that the Lord is God;  He made me, I belong to Him and am the work of His hand: I am completely dependent upon Him.  It's always been true, it's just that I don't always see it.

When I am heard, God gives me a new understanding of His sovereign nature.


Only God is God.  I don't always acknowledge that I am not, however.  Many times it takes a wake-up call of some kind to humble me to the point where I can acknowledge His sovereignty.  When I do, He will hear my cries and get to work changing my perspective.  Then I will know that the Lord is God.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will humble myself before the Lord, recognizing my position at His mercy.

When do I forget about God as I go through my day, wrongly thinking I have control of my own destiny?

How am I guilty of being my own god, placing my wants and desires at the forefront of my vision?

No comments:

Post a Comment