The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, September 8, 2014

Apart from God's Favor

"Then the Spirit of God came on Zechariah
son of Jehoiada the priest.
He stood before the people and said,
'This is what God says:
"Why do you disobey the LORD's commands?
You will not prosper.
Because you have forsaken the LORD,
he has forsaken you."'"
2 Chronicles 24:20



I can't earn it, don't deserve it and can't explain it.  But apart from it, I cannot succeed (John 15:5).  Through faith in Jesus I have the unmerited favor of God.  What happens, though, when I go out on my own?

Can't Prosper.  I just don't get it.  I took all the proper steps, did everything I was advised to do, but nothing is clicking.  Do you ever feel like that?  I have many times in my life.  A number of years ago I remember attending a seminar I heard advertised on the radio.  I was a stay-at-home mom at the time who was homeschooling her children but didn't think that was enough.  I had this desire to be more.  I felt this pressure from the world to do something "worthwhile."  So, when I had the opportunity to learn a skill that would allow me to work from home, I jumped on it.

I studied vigilantly, trying hard to balance teaching my children, caring for my family and home with learning new material and taking tests.  Once I earned the certificate, I couldn't find work.  Despite my best efforts, I just couldn't succeed.  Finally I turned to the Lord, seeking His guidance.  He spoke to my heart and gave me peace with my roles as wife, mom, homemaker and teacher.  I then saw the foolishness of my actions.

I can't blaze my own trail in life and then ask God to bless it.  Instead, I must find the path He has marked out for me and follow that with diligence (Hebrews 12:1-2).  Only then I will find true success as defined by Him.  Obedience to His calling on my life brings with it a sense of worth that cannot be found anywhere else.  And if I want to know what it means to prosper in God's kingdom, I must be following behind my Shepherd who clears the path before me.

I can't taste prosperity, kingdom-style, apart from the favor of God.

Sacrifice Peace.  Buddhism is an entire religion based on the quest for peace and happiness.  It is a Buddhist's belief that these highly-sought benefits can be obtained through positive thinking and meditation.  In truth, though, peace can never be found apart from Jesus Christ and only living in relationship with Him will bring true contentment (John 16:33).

When I seek my own way, trying to live life according to my own set of rules, standards and guidelines, I will give up the sense of calm serenity that rules my heart in Christ.  When I instead walk by my Shepherd's side I will encounter heartache, face opposition and meet unfair treatment, but He will assure me of His presence.  With Jesus at my side I have nothing to fear (Isaiah 43:1-3).

I can't taste peace apart from the favor of God.

Live without Assurance.  Life is complex and I am faced with dozens of choices every day.  There are tons of ways to live, many of them quite positive and constructive.  I can allow lots of influences that seem so beneficial into my life.  I will never know for sure if the decisions I make are right, however, without the wisdom that comes from God.

James, the half-brother of Jesus, said if I need to know what to do I can ask the Lord who liberally and generously dispenses wisdom for living (James 1:5-8).  There is a catch, however.  When I ask, I must truly believe He is the sole source of the insight for living I so desperately need.

If I want to know which job to take, I can rely on Him to guide me toward His choice for me.  If I don't know how to handle a sticky situation, I can trust Him to lead me step-by-step through every twist and turn.  If I'm facing a life-altering choice, I can believe that He has blazed a way through the maze of options, making clear the path He has prepared for me to follow.  

I can't taste the assurance of a life well-lived apart from the favor of God.


There is no denying it: I am dependent upon the favor of God.  I receive this gift of grace simply, through faith in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior.  Whenever I go off on my own, however, leaving His gentle side, I find true prosperity that lasts an eternity impossible to grasp, peace as a fleeting benefit, and the assurance of choices well-made flying out the window.  Apart from the favor of God, I simply cannot thrive.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can live life in tandem with Jesus.

How am I often going off on my own, forsaking God's wise counsel?

When do I forget to seek His wisdom and instead rely on what sounds good to me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment