The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Start Here

"From the first day of the seventh month
they began to offer burnt offerings to the Lord,
but the foundation of the temple of the Lord was not yet laid."
Ezra 3:6 AMP



The people didn't let the lack of a temple keep them from obedience.  It had been nearly seventy years since the exiles had lived in their homeland.  Now that they were back, they built an altar on which to offer sacrifices, eager as they were to worship their Savior.  While they could have waited for the temple to be rebuilt, it was their intention to start off right where they were.

Similarly, I could have every excuse as to why I can't worship God in the way I live my life (Romans 12:1).  Instead, why not start right where I am?

Study.  I need a better Bible.  There is not a sufficient amount of time available.  It would be better if I had more education regarding God's Word.  When the time is right, I'll know it.

There is no time like the present to start studying God's Word.  I don't need a certain kind of Bible or a specific amount of time or level of education.  When I open up the Bible, it is not like any other book I have ever read.  It is alive, active, and full of power (Hebrews 4:12-13).

Taking a few minutes to read it's message each day, pondering the meaning and digging deep, God will use what little I digest to teach me.  Sometimes I'll be convicted to turn away from a certain behavior after exposure to God's Word.  Other times, it becomes a training manual in how to live life, handle difficult situations or honor God in the little things.  Then there are the times when it will enlighten me in how my current ways are not God's best for me (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

I will never be sorry that I invested time in studying God's Word.  When I do, He will use it to accomplish what He intends to achieve in my life (Isaiah 55:10-11).

In order to receive God's blessings in my life, I can start reading His Word right where I am instead of waiting until things are just the way I want them to be.

Prayer.  I don't know the lingo.  My life is not right, God will not hear my prayers.  I'm not good enough to talk to God.  Why would He listen to me?  I've never done anything like this; it feels weird and is outside my realm of comfort.

The truth is, God loves to hear from me and He prefers everyday language to the high and pompous vernacular I may hear coming from those praying with the intention of impressing others (Matthew 6:5-8).  What He wants is for me to pour out my heart to Him, to share my hurts, my dreams and my triumphs.  My Father just wants me to talk to Him.

God tells me that if I seek Him with all of my heart, I will find Him (Jeremiah 29:12-13).  Therefore, it doesn't matter how I failed in the past, where I have screwed up big time, or how many times I've fallen.  What counts to Him is my intention.  If I really want to be in relationship with Him, He is ready to come in and share life with me.  

Astoundingly, Jesus already accomplished everything that is necessary to take care of my sins.  Instead of having to face the judgement of God, then, I am shielded from His righteous wrath by my Intercessor (Romans 8:34).  The blood of Jesus covers my sin so that when I come to God's holy throne, He sees only the perfect, blamelessness of my Savior.  This is why I can freely and boldly come to Him in prayer.

In order to taste the sweetness of communion with my Maker, thanks to Jesus, I can start talking to Him right where I am.

Obedience.  I'm not ready.  There are preparations I must make.  I need to gain more experience, grow in my walk, and feel more equipped.  Surely it can't be the right time to do what He is calling me to do?

I recently heard a story that inspired me.  There was a little community church whose people were sold out to Jesus.  They noticed a trend: People in need would visit the office a couple times a week, asking for food.  In response, the administrators began to keep bags of groceries under the desks, ready to distribute to those who had fallen on hard times.  From this simple ministry, a food bank servicing the entire county arose.  

Obedience to God's calling only takes a single step.  Once I respond to the need God has brought to my attention, or react to the hurting I see around me, or resolve to do something instead of standing by and watching the injustice taking place before me, God will do the rest.  I can trust Him to equip me, lead me and provide for me.  Even when I have no idea where my small step will take me, God knows exactly what He has in mind to bless many through my obedience.  

In order to see God work through me, I can take the first step of obedience today, right where I am.


What are my excuses for waiting?  Whatever they are, I can set them aside and start right where I am.  I can use what I have and open up God's Word, talking to Him in the only way I know how, and respond to His current calling on my life.  When I do, I will experience blessing like I've never known.  If I'm overwhelmed and don't know where to begin, why not start here?


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can make today the first of many where I will trust God enough to offer Him what I have right now.

In what area of my life does it seem like I'm waiting for just the right time before I will take a tiny step of faith?

When do I fail to start because I'm afraid I can't finish (Philippians 1:6)?


No comments:

Post a Comment