The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Difference

"Now it was so,
when Moses came down from Mount Sinai
(and the two tablets of the Testimony were in Moses' hand
when he came down from the mountain),
that Moses did not know that the skin of his face
shone while he talked with Him. . .
And when Moses had finished speaking with them,
he put a veil on his face.
But whenever Moses went in before the LORD 
to speak with Him,
he would take the veil off until he came out;
and he would come out and speak to the children of Israel
whatever he had been commanded.
And whenever the children of Israel saw the face of Moses,
that the skin of Moses' face shone,
then Moses would put the veil on his face again,
until he went in to speak with Him."
Exodus 34:29, 33-35a  NKJV



All eyes were upon him as Moses descended the mountain.  This time, the people of Israel had stayed strong in their faith while they waited for his return.  Instead of turning to other gods, the people waited patiently.  When they saw their leader, however, there was something different about him.

"Is that Moses?  I recognize his clothing but I can't see his face."
"Ya, it looks like a lamp."
"The light is so bright!  What happened to Moses?  Is he still human?  I can't look!"
"Me either. . .I'm not sure if I even want to get any closer."

It must have been scary to see their leader transformed in such a powerful way.  After forty days up on the mountain with God, the face of Moses shone like the sun.  Spending time with the Lord changes us, too.  Even though the difference may not be noticed in such a radically obvious way as this, there is a transformation that takes place.

Peace

My family and I found notes for weeks after she left.  Brittany, our middle triplet daughter, enjoys leaving little messages throughout the house when she is gone on a trip.  When I entered the garage one morning, for instance, I found a slip of blue paper that said, "Have a good workout!"  In the refrigerator, there was another note that said, "Have a great breakfast.  I hope you're not late for church."  It took a few days for me to discover a tiny message tucked between my sheets that bid me a good night's sleep.

These notes left by Brittany help me and my family to remember her when she's not in our presence.  In a similar way, Jesus promised to leave His followers with the gift of peace.  This serenity can exist when we stay connected to Him, despite the strife of the world around us.  The spirit of calm that rules in my heart reminds me that Jesus is my Lord and everything is going to be okay, no matter how things seem.  (John 14:27)

So, when the test results come back positive and I am facing the trial of my life, the peace that floods my heart tells me I am tenderly cared for.  Or, when there seems to be no way to dig out of the mountain of debt that weighs me down, the quietness of my heart reminds me that I have a Father who knows and meets my needs.  (Matthew 6:32-33)  Or, when the loss of my loved one seems unbearable, the underlying serenity found beneath the pain gives me the message that I will get through this time of grieving.

When I spend time with the Lord and surrender all to Him, I will come away with peace that guards my heart and mind in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)

Joy

It's not an emotion, but rather a fruit of the Holy Spirit.  Satan takes pleasure in stealing it from those who follow Christ.  Sin can block this gift of God, making me feel hopeless and full of sorrow.  Joy.  It is not the same as happiness which is based on my circumstances.  Instead, joy is a state of hopefulness and delight that comes from the Lord.  Many times I ironically find its presence in the midst of suffering, proving it's supernatural source.

There is so much to take this joy away, however.  I face troubles of every kind, battle against the sin that is always present in my wretched flesh, and am threatened to be overtaken by worry.  If I want to let this evidence of God's presence in my life burst forth, it is important that I not only spend time with Him, but choose Him above everything that demands my time and attention.

Instead of letting troubles demand my attention, I can choose the joy that simmers in the background.  While it is easy to fall for the temptation to despair, I can decide to focus on the goodness of the Lord and rejoice in His love for me.  As natural as it is for me to ponder all that remains unsolved in my life, I can instead prefer to believe the God of all resources is a God in whom I can be glad.

When I spend time with the Lord and stay connected to Him, I will rejoice in all that He is no matter my circumstances.

Hope

She had given up on the boy.  It seemed he would never learn, always choosing to follow the troublemakers.  In the past, though, this mother always believed her son would one day grow out of this phase of difficulty and enter into the great plan God had for his life.  When he was permanently expelled from school that fateful day of his 18th year, however, she felt all hope slip away.

It is easy to give up when things seem so impossible.  As one who follows Christ, however, and has been brought close to God through His sacrificial blood, I have a positive expectation of what is to come.  I know I am cared for, comforted, and promised a place personally prepared for me in the presence of the One who loves me perfectly.  For these reasons, I can carry on in the face of great difficulty.

How quickly that hope can slip away, however.  Hard times come and I forget everything I know to be true, thinking I am like those who don't have a Father who cares for me intimately.  During these times it is vital that I remind myself of who I am in Christ, making my future secure. (Ephesians 2:11-13)  

Nothing that happens in the here and now can remove me from what is promised to me.  I am assured not only of an eternity of blissful worship of the One who makes me complete, but the present with Him as well as He floods my life with His ever-present love.  (Romans 8:38-39)

When I spend time with the Lord, I am reminded of the hope I have in Him.


In the same way that Moses was changed when He spent one-on-one time with the Lord, so I am transformed as well.  While the differences may not be evident to me, others will probably see a peace that doesn't make sense considering the difficulties I face, or a sense of joy that simmers below the surface, or a spirit of hope that drives me forward in faith.  These are some of the ways I reflect Christ to a world that so desperately needs His Light.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to invest time with Him each day.

How do I inadvertently miss out on all the good things that come from God because I am too busy with other things?

How can I radically change my daily schedule to intentionally make time for the God who is jealous for my time? 

No comments:

Post a Comment