The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Blind Obedience

"When anyone brings a grain offering to the LORD,
their offering is to be of the finest flour.
They are to pour olive oil on it,
put incense on it
and take it to Aaron's sons the priests.
The priest shall take a handful of the flour and oil,
together with all the incense,
and burn this as a memorial portion on the altar,
a food offering,
an aroma pleasing to the LORD.
The rest of the grain offering belongs to Aaron and his sons;
it is a most holy part of the food offerings 
presented to the LORD."
Leviticus 2:1-3



The toddler runs happily down the hill, content to be using his little legs to propel him faster and faster.  As he enjoys the sun on his face and the wind in his hair, he is oblivious to the danger lurking just ahead.  His father, though, sees it all.  Using that authoritative voice saved for times such as these, he commands his little boy.  "Stop!"

The youngster doesn't know why his father wants him to stop running.  He doesn't have a clue.  What he does know, however, is that his dad knows more than he does and when he uses that serious tone of voice, he means business.  Consequently, the little boy immediately stops on the edge of the country road, protecting him from a collision with a lone passing car.

What this child didn't know could have killed him.  Thankfully, he has a father to watch out for him.  If he hadn't paid attention to what his dad said, he could have lost his life.  I, too, have a Father who watches over me.  His scope is limitless; unrestrained by time, distance or understanding.  Therefore, I can trust Him to guide my steps.

Even though I have a desire to understand what is happening and why, comprehension is not necessary for obedience.  I am sure the Israelites didn't get why God created so many intricate rules regarding sacrifices during the time of Moses.  Knowing that He is the Lord their God who brought them out of slavery in Egypt, however, is all they needed to understand.  If He said to do something, there was a reason.

Likewise, I have the entirety of God's Word to teach me, rebuke me, correct me and train me in righteousness, equipping me to do what He has prepared for me to do.  (2 Timothy 3:16-17, Ephesians 2:10)  If I expect to understand why He has set up His kingdom in a certain way before I will do as He says, I will find myself outside of God's will.  Understanding is not necessary for obedience.  Sometimes, I just have to do as He says.

Higher

There is a scene from The Avengers where Hulk is battling against the demi-god Loki.  Take a look:  

Loki is fed up with being treated like a mere human and tries to exert his "godly" authority over Hulk.  The green beast with the anger-issues, however, proves just how wimpy this so-called god is.

This scene always makes me think of my great God.  If I were able to understand His ways, perceive His plans and comprehend His purposes, He would be a puny God indeed.  Instead, He tells me in His Word that His thoughts are not like the thoughts of a mere human.  They are far beyond anything my puny mind could conceive. (Isaiah 55:8-9)  Therefore, I can't expect to be able to comprehend Him completely. (Job 36:26) He only allows me to understand what I need to know. (Daniel 2:28, James 1:5

Even more, He has plans for me about which I know nothing. (Jeremiah 29:11)  If I want to know the path that has been laid out for me, then, I cannot rely on my own ability to find my own way in life.  Instead, I need to seek out the Master Planner for every step I take. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

In addition, if I am to follow the Lord wholeheartedly, my obedience cannot be offered only on the condition of understanding.  Acknowledging that He is so much higher than I is one way I can show my reverence of Him.  Expecting to be able to comprehend His reasons puts myself on His level, a thought that is as absurd as the idea that the Lord needs my counsel.  (Isaiah 40:13-14)

I cannot expect to understand God's supreme ways, making comprehension unnecessary for obedience.

Incomprehensible

It's fun to go to dinner at a friend's house.  As we share the meal, there is much laughter and love that is passed around the table.  While I enjoy the company, one of the best parts is that I don't have to cook!  Even though I don't mind preparing meals, I do enjoy the break that comes from sharing food with friends.

Once my family piles into our vehicle to head home, though, there is always a level of guilt that comes afterward.  I realize that the ball is now in my court and I will need to reciprocate the kindness shown by another.  Soon, it will be time for me to host a dinner.

This is the way of our culture; one kindness is paid back by another.  In this way, we seem to stay indebted to each other.  I cannot, however, apply this same principle to God.  It is easy to get into the mindset that if I do certain things, make difficult sacrifices, or keep His ways that He somehow owes me.  I may not even be conscious of this belief, but it often shows up in my attitude.

For instance, I am disappointed when God doesn't answer my prayers in the way I expected.  I think that since I have been growing closer to Him, He will give me what I want.  Instead, He gives freely without regard to my performance, not expecting anything in return.  After all, what could I give to God that He doesn't already have? (Job 35:7

I need to realize there is nothing I have that God needs. (Psalm 50:7-12)  My sacrifices are not necessary for His well being.  His will is not dependent upon my obedience.  His plan does not hinge upon my willingness to comply.  When I realize how inconsequential are my actions to the success of God's plan, I will understand that my obedience is more a matter of the heart.  In other words, God wants me to do as He says because it shows my love for Him.  If I don't obey, it will not throw off His plan.  If He were that dependent upon me, He wouldn't be that big of a God, would He?

Instead, His decisions are unfathomable, His ways untraceable and His thoughts incomprehensible. (Romans 11:33-34) As such, I must stop thinking God needs me and realize my place in His kingdom as His precious possession chosen for His own purposes. (Deuteronomy 7:6-8)

I am not an indispensable part of God's Kingdom, but I am much loved by the God who cannot be comprehended.

Life of Faith

He didn't know much. While God did give him a detailed blueprint of how to build the large craft, he didn't know when the destruction of mankind would take place or how it would come about.  All Noah knew for sure was that God had told him to build an ark.

It took quite a bit of faith for Noah to undertake such a project.  He lived in an area far away from any body of water during a period of time when rain was nonexistent.  As the decades went by and the sea-going vessel took shape, he must have taken quite a bit of flack from those around him.  

"What's the boat for, Noah?  Are you planning a sea voyage?  How are you going to get it to the water?  What a fool!"  I'm sure Noah must have wondered how this would all play out.  Instead of letting what he didn't know hold him back, however, he stuck with what he did know.

God told Him to build an ark.  He said He would destroy the earth and everything in it.  The Lord promised to establish a covenant with he and his family, saving them from the destruction.  Then there were the plans; detailed instructions on the materials to be used, the dimensions and the layout.  On this, Noah focused his attention, doing just what God commanded.  (Genesis 6:9-22)

It took faith for Noah to complete such a big project.  Even though he didn't understand everything, He did as God directed him to do.  In the same way, I am called to live such a life of faith.  I am to walk by what I know to be true, not by what I see or by what I don't understand. (2 Corinthians 5:7)  I cannot expect to reason my way to God.  Instead, I either decide to take Him at His word, or I focus more on what I can't figure out.  

When the cupboards are bare and the rent is not paid, I may be tempted to think I'm doomed. My faith, however, will remind me that I have a Father who knows my needs and delights to give me good things. (Matthew 7:11) At this point, I can either go by what I see, or choose to believe what God has told me. (Matthew 6:8, 32-34)

When my marriage seems over and the fighting never stops, I can cut my losses and get out, or I can trust that God is the God of the impossible.  (Matthew 19:26)

When I feel like I can't go on, unable to overcome the feeling of despair rising up within me, I can give in or remember my identity as a precious child loved by a powerful God.  (1 John 3:1)

I cannot expect to base my life on what I sense, but on what I have been taught as the truth of God's Word.


I naturally have a deep desire to understand before I move forward.  In God's kingdom, however, I am called to do the opposite.  I cannot expect to understand God since His ways are higher than mine, nor can I comprehend the part He has asked me to play.  Therefore, it is important that I realize this is a life of faith so I can move forward based solely on God's Word.  When I take Him at His Word, I will understand the meaning of blind obedience.

As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can focus on what I know to be true instead of what I see around me.

When am I afraid to move forward because I don't understand what God is doing?

How do I think God owes me a good life?   

No comments:

Post a Comment