The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, November 8, 2013

As the Lord Commanded

"Moses did everything just as the Lord commanded him."
Exodus 40:16



When my four daughters were growing up, there was one in particular who was very compliant. Whatever I asked her to do, she would jump into action and obey.  As a result, it was a big temptation for me to pile more responsibilities on her shoulders since I knew I could count on her.  I did not, however, want to burden her with more chores and tasks than her sisters were required to do, almost punishing her for possessing a submissive attitude.

Moses developed this kind of an attitude toward the Lord.  He paid attention to detail and took seriously every instruction that came from the mouth of God.  As a result, God made sure to emphasize his obedience when recording this pivotal time when the Tabernacle was first set up.  

While it is easy to see that Moses obeyed God down to the smallest detail, he did not start off that way.  Remember that time at the burning bush?  He was anything but compliant.  In fact, I would say he was reluctant at the least, but bordering on defiant. (Exodus 3-4)  By the time Moses came around and began his journey to Egypt in obedience, God was still ready to end his life for failing to circumcise one of his sons as the Lord had commanded him to do.  (Exodus 4:24-26)

As Moses began to see God work through Him, though, performing mighty signs and wonders, his faith grew.  He learned to trust the Lord until he got to the point where he was able to take God at His word.  Let's see how he went from one extreme to the other.

Baby Steps

"Let's start at the very beginning; a very good place to start.  When we read we begin with A, B, C; when we sing we begin with do, re, mi."  

The Sound of Music is one of my favorite movies of all time.  I especially enjoy this song where the main character, Maria, teaches her charges, seven rambunctious children of a Captain of the Austro-Hungarian Navy, to sing.  As they frolic around Salzburg, Maria educates them in the basics of music.

Similarly, if I want to have great faith, I must start small.  Jesus told a parable found in Luke 16 that illustrates His desire for me to be wise in my dealings and prove myself a good steward by carefully looking after every blessing He has placed in my hands, working to get the most out of the little I have. (Luke 16:1-15)  Jesus concluded that, "Whoever can be trusted with very little can be trusted with much." (v 10)  

Therefore, if I want to be trusted with bigger responsibilities, I must show my ability to trust God in the elementary tasks. (Luke 16:10) When I am faithful to study God's Word, for instance, learning more about Him and His ways each and every day, I may be given the opportunity to teach another believer.  Once I prove myself faithful to stay close to the Lord in this undertaking, I may be given the opportunity to lead a class.  If God placed big dreams on my heart, I must realize that He will bring that vision into reality once I get good at obeying the basic callings.

Trusting God begins with baby steps.

Humbled

When Moses first stood at the burning bush, he had a hard time getting over himself.  Every time God reassured his fears, Moses would come up with another excuse as to why he couldn't do what God was calling him to do.  Moses was still at the point in his relationship with God that he thought the success or failure of this mission God was placing before him relied upon his own power, authority and abilities.

As Moses began to witness the hand of the mighty God, he came to the realization that everything relied upon the Lord and His power, authority and abilities while nothing depended upon him.  This is the point I must reach if I want to be used by God.  I must become less, and the Lord become more.

It is then that I can walk forward in confidence, knowing without a doubt that my God will supply all my needs, equipping me with all that is necessary to complete the task at hand. (Philippians 4:19)  My success or failure does not rely on me and my skills, capabilities or talents.  Rather, it completely depends upon the Lord and His endless supply of resources, His eternal spring of love, and His continuous flow of grace and mercy.  (Psalm 50:10, Ephesians 3:16-19, Lamentations 3:22-23, 2 Corinthians 12:9)

In order to fully trust God I must become less so He can become greater in me.

Willing

Our family has two lab-mix dogs.  The older one possesses an obedient spirit, while the younger would rather do his own thing.  On the rare occasion that they get loose in our yard, I can simply call the obedient dog and he will immediately trot toward me.  The willful dog, however, is another story.  When I call his name, I can see the struggle going on inside of him.  He looks toward the neighbor's yard, tempted to go explore, then glances back toward me, as if he's wondering if he should take the risk and run.  Once I offer him a treat, however, the naughty boy comes running to claim his prize.

I am not so different from my younger dog when it comes to God.  I want to obey, but there is always something that lures me away from doing His bid.  Sometimes it's doubt:  Can I really do what He's asking me to do?  Other times it's fear:  What if I do this but end up looking like a fool, or falling on my face?  Then there are the times when I simply don't want to obey.  That's not really something that sounds appealing, or it might hurt, or it could be uncomfortable.

Whatever the reason for my reluctance, the result is the same: disobedience.  Moses started out being unwilling to be used by God.  Once He got to know God better, understanding more fully His power, Moses became more and more agreeable.  The same is true with me; as I walk forward in faith, I will find God's work in my life will be in direct proportion to my willingness to be used.  

If I want to become a woman whom God can count on to obey, I will need to develop a willing spirit.


No one starts off doing everything the Lord commands.  Instead, I can expect my faith to grow as I am found faithful in the small things, humbled to the point where God can use me, and more  agreeable in my attitude.  Then I can be known as Moses was: One who does as the Lord commanded.  


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to take a baby step of faith.

When am I so afraid to let go of my desire to control that I block your working in my life?

How do I let my fears control me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment