The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, November 22, 2013

Consecrate Yourselves

"For I am the LORD your God.
Consecrate yourselves therefore,
and be holy,
for I am holy.
And you shall not make yourselves unclean
with any of the swarming things that swarm on the earth."
Leviticus 11:44 NASB



The gecko made its way up the wall, exploring the home of the family of four.  When it reached a certain point, it lost its footing and fell to its death.  When the woman of the Israelite home returned to her cooking area, she discovered the creature's body inside her favorite water jar, a vessel passed down to her from her mother.  According to God's law, she must now destroy this precious keepsake.  Her heart was broken.

Thankfully, I need not be concerned with making myself or any of my belongings impure by coming into contact with unclean creatures.  As one who has been bought at a price, however, I had better realize how I tarnish my testimony as a redeemed image bearer.  What kind of God do I represent to the world?

Holy God

She had worked hard all week and felt like she deserved a break.  When her friends invited her out to dinner, she eagerly accepted, ready for some fun after the grueling week that was finally behind her.  She briefly considered how this could be a temptation to return to drink after finally reaching the 3-months-dry mark, but she quickly dismissed the thought in her quest to enjoy the evening.  Unfortunately, the lure to relax with one drink had been too much for the young woman and she soon found herself in a drunken stupor after a night of drinking.

I've heard it said that, "The trouble with trouble is that is usually starts out as a whole lot of fun."  While there is nothing wrong with fun, relaxation and recreation, I must be careful of the temptations I expose myself to in my quest to enjoy life.  It is easy to justify this risky behavior by telling myself that everyone does it, or that God won't mind one slip-up.  

The reality, however, is that my God is a holy God and my sin is an affront to Him and the sacrifice His son made on my behalf.  If He was willing to go to such lengths to cover my transgressions, I had better be serious about avoiding temptation at all costs. (James 4:4-7, 1 Timothy 6:11)

If my mouth is what gets me in trouble, then, I had better stay out of conversations that could turn ugly or from people who tend to push my buttons.  If it is my eyes that lure me into lustful exploration, I had better block all temptations that come through every electronic device.  If it is my ears that entice me into politically-centered belief systems or godless world-views, I had better avoid listening to those programs or opinionated people who tend to lead me away from godly truths.

Since I serve a holy God, I had better run from temptation, always taking the way out He mercifully provides.  (1 Corinthians 10:13)

Jealous God

I was hurt that she didn't want my help.  My friend was in a tough predicament and I wanted to walk with her through the dark valley.  Instead, she opted to go it alone, embarrassed for me to see her in such a lowly place.  In reality, I loved her enough to be able to look past her circumstances and simply be there for her.

It is hard when someone I love turns elsewhere for support and assistance.  When I care about a friend or family member, that kind of help is part of the relationship and I have found that walking together through hard times strengthens a bond between two people.  

It's not so different with God.  He loves me with an enduring love that runs deeper than the ocean.  When I turn to other sources for wisdom, provision of needs, and guidance, it must hurt Him deeply.  He is a jealous God.  He is not jealous of me, but He is jealous for me.  It is His desire that I depend solely on Him as my only Source of support, help and supply.

Therefore, when I don't know what to do, instead of talking to a friend, seeking out so-called expert advice, or searching the Internet for answers, I can turn to God first.  He can be the One I run to at the beginning of every crisis, believing that He holds the solution to all my problems.  Instead of turning to Him as a last resort or after checking out my options, keeping Him at the top of my list of go-to-resources will show my understanding of His jealous nature.

Since I serve a jealous God, I had better turn to Him first as my only Source of supply, understanding, and direction.

Unchanging God

"Come mothers and fathers throughout the land, and don't criticize what you can't understand.  Your sons and your daughters are beyond your command, your old road is rapidly agin'.  Please get out of the new one if you can't lend your hand, for the times they are a-changin'."

You might recognize these words as the lyrics from a 1963 Bob Dylan song* called "The Times They Are A-Changin' " that served as a call to accept the change that was occurring in our country.  While he may have been mostly referring to civil rights, there is also a sense he's talking about other more sinister changes.  To whatever it is that he refers, the meaning is clear: Climb on board or get out of the way because the train of revolution is leaving the station.

Change is definitely a part of living in this world.  Values shift to accommodate new beliefs and soon we find that we've compromised so much of what we know to be true until we can't tell where we stand.  While the times might change, and people may adjust their points-of-view accordingly, God never changes.  (James 1:17)

It is easy to get caught up in the flow of the times.  I read God's Word and understand that He holds all human life as precious, yet my heart hurts for women who find themselves between a rock and a hard place. (Genesis 9:5-6Exodus 20:13)   Therefore, I compromise what I know to be true and support abortion in the case of rape or incest.

I know that God is a God of purpose and that He created all things in just the way He wanted them to exist. (Genesis 2:23-24) When I learn the heart-wrenching stories of couples who can't express their love for one another because of their sexual orientation, though, I may be tempted to adjust my beliefs to accommodate their desire to marry.

I agree with God when He says I should be a woman of my word, but when it seems there is no other way, I adjust the numbers in an effort to stay in the lower tax bracket. (Exodus 20:16, Leviticus 19:11, Proverbs 12:22

Since I serve an unchanging God, I had better do what I know is right while standing for the Truth in this dark world.


Even though I don't need to worry about how I defile myself by what I touch or eat like God's people of old did, I do need to be concerned about how I taint my testimony of the God I serve.  Therefore, I must act as if I understand the holy, jealous, unchanging nature of God, letting these attributes influence the way I live.  In these ways I will show myself to be consecrated for His purposes.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can take God seriously as I walk with Him.

When do I turn to other sources for help when I'm in trouble?

How do I change my beliefs in order to keep up with the thinking of the times?  









No comments:

Post a Comment