The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, November 11, 2013

Pleasing Aroma

"It is a burnt offering,
a food offering,
an aroma pleasing to the LORD."
Leviticus 1:17b



I was so thrilled that I had finally found a young person who took my instructions seriously.  As I was walking my teenage neighbor through the list of directions for taking care of our four cats, two dogs, plants and house while we were gone on vacation, she whipped out a pen and began to take notes.  She asked questions to clarify my intention and made sure that she completely understood what I expected of her.  I felt so relieved to know this young lady was serious about the job for which I was paying her.  I honestly knew I would not worry about a thing while I was out of town with my family.

While it may have been a huge relief to find a conscientious caretaker, that is nothing compared to the expectations God has for me.  If my house-sitter missed a few details, a plant may die or a cat could get locked in room when the door unintentionally closes.   If I don't take God's Word seriously, there are more long-term consequences.  

Living my life in a lukewarm state where I go through the motions of doing what I feel comfortable doing while leaving out that which is unpleasant leads to a life that is less than what God intended. (John 10:10 Even more worrisome is the fact that I can never please God unless I follow His instructions to the "T."  In fact, taking His Word seriously gives off an aroma that is pleasing to Him.

Loving God

"I love Jesus!  My love for Him is so great that I want to shout it from the rooftops!  I want everyone to know!"  I sat on my bed in our apartment in Germany, listening to my little sister on the other end of the phone gush about her love for Jesus.  We had both accepted Jesus as our Savior some 15 years earlier, but I had never experienced what she described.  I began to question my own faith, wondering if it was real since I had never felt what my sister was so eagerly describing.  It seemed something was lacking in my own life.

As the years passed by, I began to study the Bible. Instead of reading God's Word as a way to fulfill a requirement, I began searching for the answers to my questions.  Who was this God I claimed to follow?  What did He expect from me?  What could I expect of Him?  What is with this love my sister had so eagerly proclaimed yet I had never sensed?

As I sought the Lord, I found Him. (Jeremiah 29:13) The love I had long been missing began to grow in my heart.  Suddenly, the entertainment I had easily embraced for so many years became offensive to my eyes.  The words I sometimes let loose tasted bitter in my mouth.  The company I kept turned from pleasant to empty. The music I used to find joy in now seemed meaningless. Jesus became my passion.  Apart from Him, nothing made sense.

God is a jealous God.  He is not jealous of me.  Instead, He is jealous for my time and attention.  He made me so that I could be devoted to Him and Him alone.  (Exodus 34:14, 2 Corinthians 11:2-3)  When I want to know Him more and more each day, I am fulfilling His purpose for my life.  As easy as it is to make it my life's aim to please the people who are important to me or to satisfy my own desires, God's heart is the one in whom He truly wants me to delight. 

Loving God above all other pursuits gives off an aroma that is pleasing to the Lord.

Loving Others

My own needs are about what I am mainly concerned.  I tend to be suspicious of other's motivation.  Many times, it is easy for me to do things for others only when I know it will somehow bring me a benefit.  My heart is selfish to the core.  

As I come into contact with Christ, putting myself into His hands, I find a transformation taking place. (Philippians 2:13, Romans 12:2)  The needs of others start to become more important than my own.  (Philippians 2:3-4)  

I also find that I want to believe the best in every person, hoping when it seems there is nothing upon which to base that optimistic expectation.  (1 Corinthians 13:7)  

Those who surround me with hurt and seek to destroy my reputation become the object of a kindness I never before knew as God's mercy wells up inside of me, propelling me into a mission of giving without expecting anything in return. (Luke 6:35)

As I grow closer to the Lord, I find a change taking place in my heart.  His love, mercy and grace flow freely, benefiting not just me and my life, but overflowing into the lives of those around me.  I cannot love my neighbor as myself out of sheer effort and by an act of my will any more than a lion can lay down with a lamb without incident.  Instead, I find that the only way I can love others is to accept the great love God has for me.  (1 John 4:7-8

Letting God's love pour out into the lives of others gives off an aroma that is pleasing to the Lord.

Willing Vessel

Approximately 215 million people in over 185 countries have heard him preach the gospel in person, while countless more have listened over television, video, film and webcasts.  No other preacher has reached more of the world's lost for Christ.  How was Billy Graham able to accomplish such a feat?  Was it his charisma?  His masterful speaking skills?  His educational background?  His dedicated team of workers?  None of the above.

The reason Billy Graham was able to do what no man has ever done before was because he was willing to be used by God.  At a young age, he gave his life to Christ.  Even more, though, Billy was willing to let God mold him and shape him in order to fulfill the purpose God had for his life.  (Isaiah 64:8)

God has a great purpose for each of our lives.  He desires that I step into that plan, allowing Him to use me as He sees fit.  Most of the time, however, my own fears, doubts and insecurities block His efforts.  The Lord is not a bully, forcing me to fit into the mold He has created for my life.  Instead, He waits for me to willingly submit myself into His hands, allowing Him to form me and use me.  

To reach this point, I must understand the futility of my own efforts, the depth of my sin and the deep need I have for salvation.  (Psalm 51:17)  As I humble myself in this way, He will lift me up, giving me the life of significance which He prepared in advance for me.  (James 4:10, Ephesians 2:10)  There must be less of me in order for more of Him to shine through.

Making myself a willing vessel to be used by God gives off an aroma that is pleasing to Him.


When I follow God's instructions to the "T,"  I give God great pleasure.  He has made it clear that loving Him, loving others, and trusting Him enough to place my life in His hands are some of His most important teachings.  When I take His Word seriously, I give off an aroma that is pleasing to Him.  


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can show His love to others instead of hording it all for myself.

When am I least willing to let God shape me?

How do I fail to love God?



#loving God, #loving others, # willing vessel, #Billy Graham

No comments:

Post a Comment