The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Dangerous

"Aaron's sons Nadab and Abihu took their censers,
put fire in them and added incense;
and they offered unauthorized fire before the LORD,
contrary to his command.
so fire came out from the presence of the LORD
and consumed them,
and they died before the LORD.
Moses then said to Aaron,
'This is what the LORD spoke of when he said:
Among those who approach me
I will be proved holy;
in the sight of all the people
I will be honored.'
Aaron remained silent."
Leviticus 10:1-3



Even though the steer was docile, he was still a 1500 lb animal whose size I must respect.  As a child, I was active in a local beef 4-H group.  Our little farm raised a small herd and some of my most enjoyable memories were of the time I spent training one or two of the heifers or steers to show in the local fair.  One year, I decided to train two: a petite female and a large neutered male.  The steer grew to be quite large, and even though I wasn't afraid of him and could approach him like a pet, he still had the strength to be able to hurt me.  Therefore, I could never let my guard down around him.

I must be the same with the Lord.  He is a loving God whose throne I can boldly approach through faith in Jesus Christ, but I must remember He is also a holy and just God who has the power to take my life at any time. (Hebrews 4:16, Hebrews 12:28-29) Even though I don't believe God wants me to be wary of Him, there does need to be a level of respect and awe of His power.  He is a dangerous God.

Therefore, I must not take God and His Word lightly.  While He may not strike me down on the spot for my recklessness, I can strive to honor Him in the way I live my life, showing my understanding of His power and righteousness.

Own Understanding

They thought they had Him all figured out.  They gave their friend advice as if they knew all of God's ways.  Instead of offering comfort and support, they condemned the man who suffered so much, assuming they knew what God was doing.  Soon, those friends of Job were put in their place by the God whose ways are so much higher than any man's. (Isaiah 55:9, Job 42:7-9)

While I may not consciously think I have God all figured out, I sometimes act like I do when I limit His powers in my puny expectations of what He is able to do, or in the way I assume He'll provide in a way I understand.  The fact of the matter is that God has resources, power and a purpose of which I know nothing.  I may have seen God work in my life and think He'll always operate this way, but the truth is that I have no idea what He has in the works.

Therefore, I would be wise not to fit God in the proverbial box, using my own common sense and intelligence to try to explain Him.  Instead, I must let God be God and stay in my place as a mere human.  

When I'm not sure how I'll get through a difficult time, then, I can let go of all preconceived notions of how I can cope and simply put my fears and needs into His hands, letting Him have complete control over how He'll deliver me through. (2 Corinthians 12:8-9)

When I think I know how I want my life to go, arranging every detail just so, I can let go of my plans and let God order my footsteps. (Proverbs 16:9)

When I assume the good things I have in my life are as a result of my own hard work, I can let go of the worldly perspective that I go after what I need as instead invest in God's kingdom while letting Him provide for my needs.  (Matthew 6:32-33)

I am flirting with a dangerous God when I lean on my own understanding. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Own Expectations

She was angry.  Her life had not turned out the way she wanted and there had been many days of suffering.  In response, she lashed out angrily at the Lord, cursing Him for her lot.  Unfortunately, my friend turned away from God, claiming atheism as her new religion.

While I may not go to such extremes, there are times that I feel angry when I find myself in a place of difficulty,  It is easy to blame God since I know He is in control.  I am warned by the apostle Paul, however, that God cannot simply set aside His character in order to make me happy; I reap what I sow. (Galatians 6:6-7

When I think I deserve to live a life free from difficulties, for example, but I continually work against God's efforts to mold me as He sees fit, I can't expect smooth sailing.  Or if I break the law by speeding to get to work, I can't be angry when I receive a ticket.  Or if I cheat on my taxes, thinking I am just making sure I don't pay more than my fair share, I can't be surprised when others take advantage of me.  I will receive in the same measure I give. (Luke 6:37-38)

It is easy to expect certain outcomes in life even when I fail to do what I know I should.  God is not going to change the laws of nature, protect me from the consequences of my own rebelliousness, or enable me to continue in my sinful ways.  He is a holy God with a plan to shape me into the image of Christ.  Therefore, I must adjust my life accordingly instead of expecting God to do such conforming. 

I am flirting with a dangerous God when I bear my own expectations.

Own Standards

"I don't think that is such a big deal.  I mean, it's not like you're taking someone's life, or something.  It's just a little lie."  It's easy to justify sin.  When I attempt to live my life by my own standards, I will find I measure up pretty well.  If I take a chance and see how I look compared to the perfection God expects, however, I will see the reality of how far short I fall. (Romans 3:23)

Judging my life soberly only leads me to one conclusion:  I need Jesus.  I am sorely in need of a Savior to both save me from the wrath of God my sins deserve, but also to deliver the grace I need to live a life that is pleasing to Him.  Since my Father is a holy God, I must realize how important it is for me to strive for holiness as well. (1 Peter 1:14-15)

This means separating myself from the sin that comes so naturally to me.  It also means I can't take any provisions for giving into temptation, thinking that God doesn't mind if I let my guard down and let sin have it's way in my life every once in awhile.  After all, I justify, at least I don't do it all the time.

This kind of attitude is risky.   Since Jesus gave His all for me, I must give my all for His glory.  It's not that I must somehow earn my place in His kingdom, but rather that I take His sacrifice seriously and live accordingly. (Romans 12:3)

I flirt with a dangerous God when I live according to my own standard.


I don't intend to take God lightly, but sometimes I do.  Without thinking I may lean on my own understanding, carry my own expectations, and judge myself according to my own standards.  When I live in such a way, I am flirting with a dangerous God.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can let God be God and stay in my place.

When do I expect good when I sow much bad.

How do think I'm better or worse than I really am?

No comments:

Post a Comment