The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, November 4, 2013

Benefit of the Holy Spirit

"Then Moses said,
'If you don't personally go with us,
don't make us leave this place.
How will anyone know that you look favorably on me
-on me and on your people-
if you don't go with us?
For your presence among us
sets your people and me apart
from all other people on the earth.'"
Exodus 33:15-16




I didn't think there was anything special about the beret, besides the fact that it made my new boyfriend look quite handsome.  This man who would later become my husband explained the significance of the green beret.  "Everyone else in the Army wears a camouflaged cap while only members of the Special Forces wear the green beret."  A Soldier's hat was what identified their unit before 2001.  For instance, airborne organizations wore maroon berets while Rangers sported black.  One look at a soldier's head gear told one a lot about what type of unit in which they served.

Similarly, as a follower of Christ, I have a distinctive feature which sets me apart from the rest of mankind.  In the same way that Moses didn't want to go anywhere without the presence of the Lord because He realized it was Him who set the Israelites apart, I never need go anywhere without the distinctive presence of the Holy Spirit.  What difference does the indwelling Spirit of God make in my life?

Sealed by the Holy Spirit

Simply using the word "organic" on a label doesn't necessarily mean a food was produced and processed according to national organic standards.  In order to make sure crops were grown or livestock raised using ecologically safe biological pest management as well as with the exclusion of all synthetic chemicals, antibiotics and hormones, a consumer needs to look for the official "USDA Organic" seal of certification on any food considered for consumption.

In the same way that the United States Department of Agriculture certifies those products that meet their standards of organic production, God signifies His acceptance of me as His child with the "seal" of the Holy Spirit.  When I believed in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, I received this "stamp of approval," not out of any integrity or merit of my own, but only based on the grace of God released through the willing sacrifice made by Jesus on my behalf.  (Ephesians 2:8-9)

When I receive God's Spirit as evidence that I am adopted into His family by faith, this seal of approval also gives me the hope of my inheritance in Christ.  The presence of God's Spirit is the proof that I will one day enter into His presence and live with Him forever!  (2 Corinthians 1:21-22)  

With such hope, then, I find myself desiring to live in a way that pleases God.  Instead of living as I used to live before I knew Jesus, I find another way as His Spirit nudges me toward kindness, compassion and forgiveness, empowering me to act in a way that is consistent with His teachings.  (Ephesians 4:30, Philippians 2:13)  This change in the fabric of my being is how I know my faith is authentic.

When I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, I receive the stamp of approval of God's Spirit.

Marked by the Holy Spirit

The blue and white Boeing 747-200B emblazoned with the words, "The United States of America," an American flag and a special seal, Air Force One is easily recognizable as the plane designated to carry the President of the United States.  Technically, however, any Air Force aircraft carrying the president uses the call sign, "Air Force One."  It is the presence of this important leader that is enough to transform any airplane into something special.

This is not so different from me.  Even though there may not be anything extraordinary about me in and of myself, the presence of God's Spirit dwelling within me sets me apart from all other peoples. (2 Timothy 2:19)  My body has been transformed from simply a physical shell into a temple of God's Spirit.  Therefore, I am to treat myself as one who is holding a great treasure inside such an ordinary vessel.  (2 Corinthians 4:7, 1 Corinthians 6:20)

Instead of going wherever I want to go, doing whatever pleases me, and saying whatever comes to my mind, then, I must remember I was bought at a price.  My life no longer belongs to me but was purchased through the blood of Jesus by the One who loves me enough to give of His Own Son.  I must see myself as a precious commodity who was created for a mighty purpose that goes beyond my own dreams, comfort or ambitions.  The mark of the Holy Spirit dwelling with me gives me a higher calling.

When I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, I am marked as His own by the presence of His Spirit. (Ephesians 1:13)

Wisdom from the Holy Spirit

His wisdom wasn't learned or gained from years of personal experience.  Instead, people from miles around came to King Solomon because he possessed God-anointed wisdom.  When God offered anything at all to the young king, he chose a discerning heart and the ability to wisely lead God's people so he would know between right and wrong.  God was pleased with his request and granted his wish, giving him also riches and honor. (1 Kings 3:4-15)

Solomon's wisdom came directly from God.  As a result, he was able to judge wisely through no power of his own but solely based on God's anointing on his life.  In a similar way, I have received the gift of God's indwelling Spirit once I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior.  His Spirit gives me a permanent anointing that allows me to understand the Truth.

In order to utilize this wisdom, however, I must stay close to the Lord, responding to His teachings and applying them to my life.  (1 John 2:27)  As I grow in my relationship with the Him, gaining more and more respect and awe for His holy character and a desire to live as He calls me to live, this wisdom grows.  (Proverbs 9:10, Psalm 111:10)

It is only through the presence of God's Spirit that I am able to know more about Him and His ways.  As He transforms me from the inside out through His supernatural work in my life, my prayers become more and more powerful as they fall more closely in line with God's will.  (Romans 12:21 John 5:14, James 5:16)

When I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, I receive wisdom that only comes from God's indwelling Spirit.


I am like Moses because I recognize that I don't want to go anywhere apart from the presence of God.  As I come into relationship with Him through faith in Jesus Christ, I find the Holy Spirit has sealed me as His authentic child, marked me as His own precious possession and granted me supernatural wisdom to know and do His will.  These are the benefits of the Holy Spirit of God that will never leave me as I walk with Him.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust the leading of God's Spirit.

When do I forget that God's Spirit dwells within in me, giving me wisdom to understand His ways?

How am I living like everyone else instead of like a holy temple?    

No comments:

Post a Comment