The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Never Far


In preparation for Thanksgiving later this week, "Writings on the Doorframe" is offering a series of short devotionals based on Psalm 139 with the purpose of preparing your heart for the original intention for the holiday's creation: 
To give thanks to a generous and loving God.

"Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
If I say, 'Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,'
even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you."
Psalm 139:7-12



Oh, that I have a God who is never far from me.  I can try to run from Him, reaching for the heights of worldly success or sinking to the depths of despair.  Still, He is there by my side.  If I try my own way of living, He never gives up on me.  If I dip my toe into the pool of a foreign belief, He still cares enough to remind me of the Truth.  No matter what path I choose, His mighty hand is there to keep me from falling.  Even if I seek cover from His unrelenting pursuit in the darkest of places, He still sees me as if I were out in the brightest of lights.

Therefore, I need not hide from His loving hand.  Instead, I can step boldly into the Light where my transgressions will be washed away by the blood of Jesus.  I can stop the game of cat and mouse and embrace the prosperous plan He has for my life.  I can fall into His arms of love and accept the forgiveness, grace and mercy He is waiting to lavishly pour into my life.

If I am perfectly loved and pursued, why do I readily retreat from His great compassion?  If I am as deeply wanted as this by the God of all creation, why do I put such effort into resisting Him?  If He is always this close to me, why is it so easy for me to turn to other sources to fill my greatest needs?

Today, as I prepare for a day set aside to thank God for all His goodness, I resolve to keep this truth at the forefront of my mind:

God is never far from me.


No comments:

Post a Comment