The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Who Can Stand?

"But the LORD killed seventy men from Beth-shemesh
because they looked into the Ark of the LORD.
And the people mourned greatly because 
of what the LORD had done.
'Who is able to stand in the presence of the LORD,
this holy God?'  they cried out.
'Where can we send the Ark from here?'"
1 Samuel 6:19-20 NLT



They were overjoyed at the sight of the ark.  One minute they were harvesting in the fields, bent over in their labor, the next they were rejoicing, lifting their hands to the heavens.  How did the ark get here?  How could these cows have delivered it, going against instinct and leaving behind their calves?  It is a miracle!  God has brought His ark of the covenant back to His people! 

As the men of Beth-shemesh prepared the sacrifice, they marveled at the fact that the Lord had not only brought the ark back to the land of His people, but specifically to a priestly town where it would be handled properly. (Joshua 21:16) They rejoiced in His providence.  Unfortunately, in their exuberance and perhaps curiosity, some of these men who knew better forgot that God is holy and to be revered.  They violated this symbol of His presence by looking upon the ark with their lowly eyes. (Numbers 4:5,20)  Not to let this attitude be overlooked, God struck the offenders down, providing a sober reminder of His holiness and their unworthiness.

It is easy to get comfortable with God.  The more I get to know Him, the closer I grow, drawing near as I learn about His role as my loving Father who extends mercy and grace through the blood of His Son, Jesus.  Sometimes, however, I become so at ease around Him that I forget His holy nature.  In order to help me cultivate a healthy respect for Him, then, there are some qualities that God will develop in me as I cooperate with the ongoing transformation process.

Humbleness

He was said to be the most humble man on the face of the earth.  When it came to his own honor, he easily let criticism pass. (Numbers 12:2)  If God's reputation were disrespected, however, he was passionate, to say the least, ready to defend His holy name. (Exodus 32:19-20)  Moses understood how he fit into the scheme of things, with God being the One to deserve all glory and honor.

If I am to similarly recognize the holiness of God as I live in tandem with Him, I must become less and He must become more.  As I grow closer, His perfect nature will become more apparent and my own wretchedness will be made plain.  In this way, I am being humbled.

Sometimes it takes a life-threatening illness to burn out the impurity of my own pride.  When I hold even the most elementary of beliefs that there is some good within me or that I am capable of doing something worthwhile apart from Him, I am in danger of minimizing God's holiness.  God will do what it takes to show me how dependent upon Him I am.

Other times He will take away His favor, showing me how wretched a creature am I.  When I start to harbor feelings of self-satisfaction, wrongly believing I'm pretty good at this thing we call the Christian life, I am in danger of minimizing God's holiness.  It then takes a wake-up call from God to remind me of how hopeless I am without Him.

Then there are times when God may give me what I selfishly want, vividly illustrating the futility of following my own path.  When I desire my way over God's, I am in danger of minimizing God's holiness.  He has His own method of showing me just how foolish are my plans and how far superior are His.

As I go through life, God will humble me in ways that reveals more and more of His holy nature.

Reverence

He did exactly as God told him to do even though he didn't understand it.  Despite his inability to figure out how God would conquer the great walled city, this leader passed on the instructions precisely as God had given them to him.  The priests were given their peculiar marching orders.  The people knew what they must do.  Despite the fact that the people might think he was nuts, Joshua did exactly as God had commanded him to do. (Joshua 6

As familiar as the story of Joshua and the fall of Jericho might be, I may not have realized the reverence Joshua held for God.  He respected Him enough to obey His orders without feeling the need to understand what God was doing or how in the world walking around the city would result in victory.  Instead, he simply did as he was told.  His obedience revealed a level of respect for God of which I need.

It reminds me of the broken speedometer in my vehicle.  Even though I can gauge my speed by how fast others are driving, I still want to know the exact reading.  Similarly, it's hard for me to trust in something I don't fully understand.  If I am to put my faith in a God whose ways are so far superior to mine, then, I will need to accept the fact that His ways are unfathomable. (Isaiah 55:8-9)  It is impossible for me to understand His purposes and plans.  (Romans 11:33)  I cannot expect to be able to uncover the mysteries of His mind.  (Job 5:9, Psalm 139:6)  Instead, I am to revere God enough to do as He says.

As I go through life, God will develop in me a reverence for His unsearchable ways.

Submissiveness

He did as he was told without question.  When God said to leave the only home he ever knew and the family he loved so much, he did so, not finding it necessary to know where they would end up.  (Genesis 12)  Later, when the Lord instructed him to sacrifice his only son, he responded in obedience. (Genesis 22)  Abraham was a man who submitted to the authority of God in his life.

Unfortunately for me, my will is strong.  In order to yield to God's will, mine must be weakened.  In other words, I must come to the point where His ways become more important to me than mine.  Then I will more easily heed His teachings, taking them seriously.  Up until then, I might brush His wisdom aside as optional or voluntary.  Once I see the connection between my love for Him and my willingness to do as He says, I'll leave behind my rebellious ways and become more submissive to His.

It reminds me of a company I hired to care for my lawn.  When they first showed up to do the job, I met them in the driveway so I could show them the boundaries of our yard and express what I expected.  As I spoke, the man on the lawn mower jumped off the machine and walked along the edge of our yard, asking questions to better understand where he was to mow.  I appreciated his attention to detail and his desire to take my instructions seriously.

This is what God wants from me, an earnest desire to do as He says and to take His Word seriously.  Whatever He reveals to me should be held as precious, so much so that I respond immediately, taking the teaching to heart and letting Him use His own Word to change my behaviors, thoughts and habits.  When I make myself like a pliable lump of clay, God can mold me into the woman He created me to be.  When I stubbornly insist on my way, hardening my heart in fear or obstinacy, I will stay as I am.

As I go through life, God will shape me into a submissive child who takes her Father's instructions seriously.


It is easy to get too comfortable with God, thinking of Him as if He were like me.  In such a mindset, I am in danger of offending the holy nature of God.  As I cooperate with His sanctifying work in my life, I will become more humble, develop a reverence for Him and learn submissiveness.  In these ways, I will truly understand that no one can stand before such a holy God:  Only He is worthy to be praised.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep God's holiness in mind as I let Him have His way in my life.

When do I treat God almost like a servant, expecting Him to do my bidding?

How do I offend His holiness in the flippant way I deal with Him or talk about Him?  Do I say His name with reverence?   

No comments:

Post a Comment