The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Never Too Late

"'Do not be afraid,' Samuel replied.
'You have done all this evil;
yet do not turn away from the LORD,
but serve the LORD with all your heart.
Do not turn away after useless idols.
They can do you no good,
nor can they rescue you,
because they are useless.
For the sake of his great name 
the LORD will not reject his people, 
because the LORD was pleased to make you his own.'"
1 Samuel 12:20-22



Samuel was steamed.  The people had received exactly what they wanted and were greatly rejoicing before the Lord. (1 Samuel 11:15)  They just don't get it! fumed Samuel.

The people of Israel didn't comprehend just how much they had offended God in their request for a king.  They didn't see that their request was an act of defiance, a rejection of God as their King.  Despite all the ways He had cared for them, they still wanted a human king.

In all their wickedness, however, God was all about reconciliation.  Since the people bore His name, He would never turn His back on them but would always seek to draw them close.

I, too, have done great evil, offending God in my wayward heart.  Still, He pursues me relentlessly, wanting nothing more than for me to come back to Him.  In Christ, I firmly belong to the Lord, Maker of heaven and earth.  In order to keep my heart from straying, I will need to take some key steps in my relationship with Him.

Admit

"I'm pretty good just the way I am."  
I almost burst out laughing when hearing this pronouncement from an elderly man I was visiting.  I guess I shouldn't laugh, don't we all think we're good enough?  While it may have seemed comical that my grumpy, old companion had given himself a pass, I often do the very same thing.
Well, at least I didn't kill anyone, I rationalize after my angry outburst.
I'm not as bad as some people, I think after telling a "little white lie."
I don't do it all the time, I say in an effort to comfort myself after wasting an hour on social media.

The foundational truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ that I must come to grips with is that I am a sinner.  As long as I believe there is even a bit of good in my flesh, a smidgen of hope in my own merit, a bit of confidence in my own ability to save myself, I cannot fully accept Jesus as my Savior.

When I trained as a lifeguard, we were taught to stay away from swimmers who were trying to save themselves.  As they thrash around in their desperate attempts to keep themselves above the water, they would bring me down by trying to climb on top of me the moment I came near enough to attempt a rescue.  There was also the danger that they could knock me out, rendering both of us as victims.  Therefore, one of the fundamentals we learned was to watch for a willingness to be saved.

It's the same with me and Jesus.  As long as I think there is a shred of decency in my own flesh, I will not really perceive my need for rescue. (Romans 7:18) As long as I cling to the false hope that my own efforts are good enough to reach God's standard of perfection, I won't realize my desperate need for a Savior. (Romans 3:23) As long as I think I'm good enough just the way I am, I still haven't come to grips with the darkness of my soul and my true identity as God's enemy.  (Romans 5:10)

When I believe I have at least some good in me, it will be hard to admit when I sin.  Instead, I'll desperately try to prove my goodness, defending my actions in an effort to clear my name.  In contrast, when I admit my total depravity, accepting the fact that I'm rotten to the core, I'll readily confess my sins and, in turn, receive the forgiveness that's promised to me through the blood of Jesus.  (1 John 1:9)

In order to keep my heart true to the Lord, it is imperative that I admit to my true identity as a helpless sinner who is saved by the grace of God offered through Christ Jesus.

Dedicate

I would rise well before dawn, spending a few hours in training before work and school.  On the way home from my early-morning workout session, I'd stop at the tanning salon for a brief treatment.  Then, it was time to prepare my well-planned meals for the day, packing them in a cooler to take with me.  During a break at school, I would consume what was allotted for that time.  Later, after work, I'd hit the gym again, working out again before going home, showering and going to sleep early.  Bodybuilding permeated every minute of my days.  Bodybuilding was my life.

While I wouldn't recommend this kind of dedication to a sport, it is the mindset I need to take on when it comes to my relationship with the Lord.   When I devote my whole heart to following Him, He will color every part of my day.  In the same way that my mind was always set on my preparations for the next contest when competing in bodybuilding, so I can train my mind to constantly be focused on the Lord, His ways, and His character traits. (Colossians 3:2)

When my life is dedicated to the Lord in such a way, I will find that my heart will be broken by the same thing that breaks His heart. (Mark 6:34, 2 Corinthians 1:3-4)   

Instead of seeking my own good, my devotion to God will result in a change in my genetic makeup and I'll find myself looking out for what most benefits others. (Philippians 2:2-4)  

As I recognize God's hand in every part of every day, I'll discover a new-found confidence as I walk forward with certainty into the great unknown, spurred on by the assurance of His constant presence as my Shepherd.  (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Dedicating my life to the Lord will result in my heart being firmly entrenched in His, minimizing my risk of straying.

On Guard

My own comfort.
Sensual pleasures.
Keeping up with the latest technology.
Satisfying my latest want.
Improving my status.
Elevating my position.

These are all pursuits that constantly tempt me.  The lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life are all quests of this world. (1 John 2:16) As one who belongs to God through faith in the sacrifice of His Son,however, I have no business in going after such interests.

Therefore, I must stand guard against the lure of my own flesh.  It constantly works against me, tempting me to go after what feels so natural but flies in the face of God's best for me.  Instead of giving in to what I see going on around me, appealing to my sin nature, I must be on guard against ungodly thought patterns that corrupt my mind, fleshly pursuits that taint my desire for holiness, and worldly views that drag me away from the truth.  (1 Peter 1:13-16, Romans 12:2)

When I let my guard down, thinking I am no longer in danger of drifting away from the Lord, I will soon find myself almost imperceptibly lured away by something that seems good.  I tell myself it doesn't matter if I take a second look, or taste a forbidden fruit, or sample an alternative mindset.  After all, I tell myself, it's only a look, a taste, a sample.  

Before I know it, I'm headed in the wrong direction, partaking in activities that dishonor God, submerging myself in illicit endeavors, and buying into beliefs that run contrary to what I learned to be true.  The things I find myself treasuring are leading my heart away from the Lord.  As a result, I'm weighed down by the sin I've let into my life, relationships suffer and the joy and peace that once ruled my heart are gone.  (Matthew 6:19-24)

Since I am so vulnerable to giving in to my own flesh and living like the world, I must constantly be on guard, staying aware of the risk that is always near.  Once I take my own defense seriously, I'll have a better chance of staying true to the Lord.

Since I am like a sheep who quickly wanders off the path of life, I had better stay on guard against giving my heart to things that seem so valuable but in the end have no profit.


Samuel could see how the people of Israel rejoiced in getting their own way.  I am not so different, quick to praise God when I get what I want.  If I am to cease living such a shallow, self-centered life, I must admit how helpless I am as a sinner, dedicate every moment to the Lord, and guard against that which threatens to distract me from my One True Love.  Even in the evilness of my heart, it is never too late to turn back to the Lord for He never gives up on me!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can live for the God who gave His all to make me right with Him.

When do I give up on myself, thinking there is no hope and forgetting that God does not give up on me?

How do I offend God with my ungodly pursuits?       

No comments:

Post a Comment