The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Jump on the Bandwagon

"So Micah's carved image was worshiped 
by the tribe of Dan
as long as the Tabernacle of God
remained at Shiloh."
Judges 18:31 NLT



I once heard a story about a woman preparing her Thanksgiving turkey.  As she went about her usual preparations, placing the bird in the sink to thaw and positioning the inverted dish drainer over the top of it like she always did, her husband scratched his head in confusion.  "Honey, I always wondered; why do you always put the dish drainer over the turkey?"
His wife replied, "I don't know.  That's just the way Mom did it."

Later, the curious woman asked her mom.  "Mom, why did you always turn the dish drainer upside down and place it over the turkey as it thaws in the sink?"  
"Oh, I started doing that the year the cats climbed up on the counter to investigate.  To keep them from getting to the turkey, I started protecting it with that drainer."
Feeling foolish, the young woman confessed to her husband that there was no reason for her to put that rack over their turkey since they didn't own a pet.

It's funny how I sometimes do things without knowing why I do it.  Like the woman in the story above, its easy to blindly follow what someone else is doing without questioning whether it's appropriate for my situation or even consulting God as to His plan.  This is what happened to the tribe of Dan.  

As they were searching for an alternate land to call their own since they had rejected the land that had been allotted to them (Judges 18:1), they came across a man named Micah who had set up his own personal shrine complete with an ephod meant to be used by priests in God's holy temple, both a carved image and a cast idol, as well as various household idols.  Seeing the Levite who was serving there, the tribe members seized the opportunity to take on this priest and the sacred objects as their own.  Consequently, Micah's sin spread to an entire group of people.

When I blindly follow what someone else is doing, I am at risk of buying into their sin, taking it on as my own.  How can I avoid this trap?

Test the Spirits

There are a lot of messages coming at me in this world that seems so interested in spiritual themes yet rejects the truth that comes from God.  As a result, I am bombarded with many teachings that seem right and make me feel good, but may be off the mark.  I hear that I need to go after my best life now, that God wants me to live a life of self-fulfillment, that if I name it and claim it then it will be mine, or that I have been set free to live however I want.  When I hear messages that sound good to me and I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon, how do I know if it's from God or not?

It is important that I test the spirit of the message to determine it's source.  Is Jesus forming the foundation of the speaker's platform?  Who is Jesus to the teacher?  If He's not lifted up as the Author and Perfecter of our faith, the Son of God who has been given the place of honor at the right hand of God the Father, literally "God with us," then I must reject what I'm being told, even if it makes sense to me. (1 John 4:1-6)

Therefore, if the goal is to elevate my own interests while minimizing the Lord, treating Him as a servant who is here for my benefit, I know the message doesn't come from God. (Proverbs 16:1-4) If the focus is on my own comfort, welfare or interests, I know it doesn't come from the God who deserves all glory. (Revelation 4:11) If the heart of the message is about my benefit instead of God's plan, I know it doesn't come from the God who is the Alpha and the Omega.  (Isaiah 44:6-8)

I will know to avoid jumping on the bandwagon of popular teachings when I discern a spirit that runs counter to God's.

Know God Personally

It's easy to find out about God.  Thousands of books have been written, teachers are constantly teaching about Him, and of course there is His Word to examine.  While anyone can know about God, only those who truly seek Him will desire to know Him.  What makes God tick?  What angers Him, what brings Him joy?  How does He want me to live?  What is His intention for my life?  While I might be able to find the answers to these questions in the pages of God's Word, I will never truly take them in as my own until I put them into practice and witness God's personal touch for myself.

God is a personal God.  He is not far away and difficult to get to know.  I don't have to jump through hoops, get myself cleaned up and presentable, or reach a certain point before I can experience His presence.  Instead, I was made for Him and He desires nothing more than for me to invite Him into every aspect of my life. (Revelation 3:20)

Romans 12:2 reveals the secret of knowing what God wants from me.  First of all, He wants me to resist taking on the ways of this world in which I live.  Secondly, He wants me to cooperate with Him as He transforms my way of thinking so it lines up more closely with His.  Whenever I do these two things, I will learn to know the path God created for me to follow.

Apart from God, I am left to my own devices, forced to try to figure life out on my own, using my own limited knowledge and insight.  When I focus on knowing God more today than I did yesterday, I will be more intent on following His plan than on doing what pleases myself.  My relationship with Him will grow in importance, overshadowing any desire I have to do what is best for me.  Gradually, I will see a change in my perspective as God becomes bigger in my life, and I become smaller.

I will no longer want to jump on the bandwagon of popular teachings when I have tasted and seen for myself that the Lord is good.  (Psalm 34:8)

Be on Guard

He walked slowly around the perimeter, watching carefully for any movement.  His weapon was always held at the ready and his attention never wavered from his task.  If he let his guard down, the entire company would be at risk.

Much like a soldier who knows the importance of guard duty, I must be on guard at all times.  If I live without the knowledge that I have an enemy whose mission is to steal, kill and destroy my faith, then I've forgotten that I'm in the middle of a spiritual battle.  (John 10:10a, Ephesians 6:10-12)

Therefore I must stay alert to his tactics designed to throw me off-mission, stand firmly on the solid ground of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and be courageous enough to speak the truth in love when fallacies pass my way.  (1 Corinthians 16:13)  In these ways I'll keep up my guard.

How easy it is, though, to get distracted by the cares of this world, forgetting that my enemy never rests.  When I lower my resistance to His deceptive tricks, I am quickly pulled into His attractive, self-focused way of thinking.  Before I know what's happening, I begin to waver in my faith, forgetting the foundational truths that are meant to ground me and keep my foot from slipping.  Suddenly, I find myself sliding down the slippery slope, giving into the fear that threatens to overwhelm me.  If I don't pay attention, I'll soon be in the murky mire, trapped by Satan's schemes.

I will not fall prey to the ploys of the enemy, luring me to jump on the latest bandwagon, when I keep in a state of readiness.


Just like the tribe of Dan joined in with the sin that Micah had initiated, I am always at risk of falling prey to the influences of others.  Therefore, it is important that I know from where the message comes, that I know God for myself so I can discern His will from deception, and that I stay on guard against the attacks of the enemy.  In these ways I'll avoid the pitfalls that come when I jump on the latest bandwagon.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can stay alert for how Satan is trying to trick me.

When do I forget I'm involved in spiritual warfare?

How can I get to know God more today than I did yesterday?

No comments:

Post a Comment